PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about early June?

Tink#64
01-02-2009, 01:31 AM
We are planning a trip for the 2nd week of June and this is a different time for us. We've only visited in April, during our Spring Break, and in May, both early & MD week. I'd appreciate any info on the early June crowds and average weather. We love May, but by the time DS's get out of school & we're half way through the summer break, it seems like we didn't take a "summer" vacation, so DH & I decided to switch it up a bit this year and schedule our vacation a little later. Any info & tips would be appreciated! :tiphat:

KylesMom
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
As you can see by my signature, we've gone many times in early to mid June.

The crowds are what you'd expect - it's summer time, and by the time the second week of June rolls around the kids are out of school & crowds are in full swing. It doesn't mean, however, that you won't enjoy yourself. You just need to have a plan.

I can't stress enough how FP and EMH can save the day. While we haven't had much luck with late night EMH, the mornings have been great.

With regard to the weather, it's hot - and humid - and you can pretty much count on an afternoon thundershower each day. Keep hydrated, go at a reasonable pace (we usually return to our room mid-day for a swim and a breather) and enjoy! :mickey:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Star Wars Weekends at DHS. The last few years it has been held in June each weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) and if you have boys that are "into" SW, it's a must-do! Although they haven't announced it yet, I'm hoping that it will once again be held in June. If you aren't into SW, it might be best if you avoided the Studios on the weekends.

wdwfansince75
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
We almost always have gone in June, or even July. The parks are crowded, but manageable. Park Hoppers, EMH's, especially morning, and FP's make it possible to experience all the "must do's." An unscientific poll over the years indicates that at least 90 percent of the guests are smiling, giggling, or otherwise displaying strong indications of enjoying themselves.
The weather is hot and humid...but, like the crowds, manageable. Watch the kids for signs of heat problems....stay hydrated....and there are lots of places to cool off.
Lots of daylight....parks seem smaller after dark....something to do with night vision and depth preception. MK does get problematic after dark...very crowded. Crowd tends to not move as much, so there are more log jams....people tend to stake out positions for parades and Wishes....and block many of the walkways....We have never considered parades a "Must do"....rather, it is a target of opportunity, for the evening that we just need to sit and rest...seems more necessary as I approach 70. Still, we usually do at least one MK evening EMH on every trip. Tend to avoid EPCOT and DHS on EMH evenings...crowds at MK and DHS are usually lighter (well, relatively lighter) on EPCOT EMH nights, and EPCOT is usually lighter on MK EMH nights....
Our four kids, their spouses, and our seven grandkids are all somewhat different, and have different tastes and priorities....so there are no hard and fast rules about what we do, or when we do it....usually ditch at least half of our ADR's, and usually find we all really enjoyed at least serendipitous group event on each trip.
I have learned that you cannot chase the Magic, nor do you find it....it finds you.

MOJoe
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm with you Tink. We have been alternating our visits from Spring Break to June for a few years. And i have to say that despite the much warmer temps and high humidity, i enjoy early June over Spring. It may be just our poor luck, but we never know how to pack for a Spring trip. Every time we have gone during that time, old man winter has followed us to florida, making the evenings quite cool, and the days we tried to go swimming - well it was just barely tolerable. But for a June trip, it's easy. Pack for very warm conditions, bring a couple of swimsuits, and expect an afternoon thundershower.
As far a crowds go. The later in the summer, the busier the parks get. So early June is not too bad, and not as busy as Spring Break. But certainly more crowded than in May. But the busier times of the year also bring longer park hours. So you can hit them in the morning, leave and take an afternoon swim or nap, then you can return for the evening when the temps and humidity drop. This itinerary seems to work better for us than the Spring Break plan, which seems to be, go all day until it gets so cool that you need to go back to the room and warm up.
So if you really like a "summer vacation", it's hard to beat early June. That looks like the time we are planning for this year. Hope to see you there!

spoiledraf
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
We'll be going the 2nd week as well. We have a number of schedules to work around, not the least of which is my daughter being a teacher so weeks are limited. We've been before in June and unfortunately had a little more than an afternoon shower. It was pretty much a wash out, but that was quite a few years ago. We'll have the next generation with us this time and I expect the temps to have a lot of impact on our schedule, which we are trying to keepas flexable as possible. The best thing about June this year is three free nights! And my grandkids going for the first time!

VWL Mom
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I have learned that you cannot chase the Magic, nor do you find it....it finds you.
How true!:high5:

Tink#64
01-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks everybody for the great advice! I'm crossing my fingers! You never know about the weather we've had some incredibly warm & humid days in WDW in early May! My biggest concern is probably the crowds! It was way more crowded MD weekend a few years agothan it was during our Spring Break this year! I guess you never know! We're going, & it'll be great! Thanks to all for the info! We're planning June 6th thru the 14th! Sounds like a few of you might be there at that time. I've bought an Intercot shirt, & I'm gonna be on the lookout for others this trip & would love to meet one of my fellow Intercotees in WDW! Maybe we could plan a M & G! That would be cool! :cool:

junedis
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
We did June last year. Yes, it'e hot and humid but we had a great time!

Tips that worked for us:

Evening extra magic hours , especially at MK

Bring a backpack cooler for water

Bring a portable dvd player or handheld games for waiting in line

Try to take the pace slow and calm-be flexible!

Hit the pool!

Have a great trip!!!