PDA

View Full Version : Mardi Gras Feb. 24th

DANAM
01-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I was wondering what is going on during Mardi Gras this year to make the room rate jump up so high? Normally, they would be high if it was the same week as Predent's Day but it is 2 weeks later this year.
My other question is if Mardi Gras is Feb 24th should we check in on Feb 17th and leave on the 25th or Check in on the 21st and leave on the 28th. Our kids are still young and there school only lets out MOnday and Tuesday for Mardi GRas so we have to miss 3 or 4 days regardless.
Thanks

the other micki
01-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I would go on the earlier dates (2/17-2/25). I think most folks would go down at the beginning of the holiday and just stay the remainder of the week. My DD gets Mon. and Tues. only also, but other schools (esp. in NO) get the whole week.

Have a fun trip!:mickey:

BronxTigger
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
They are not two weeks apart this year. President's Day (2-16) is one week (and one day) before Mardi Gras (2-24) this year.

Next year, President's Day is the day before Mardi Gras, so that week will probably be very busy.

DANAM
01-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Sorry your right it is only a week. But still why peak season? I never remember it being like that. Normally it's regular if not value. I think we have deceided to hold off for Mardi Gras and stay a couple extra days for Christmas insteed.

buzznwoodysmom
01-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I've never been during Mardi Gras. We left the Sunday before Mardi Gras one year. But family and friends of mine who have visited for Mardi Gras the past few years have report it busy like crazy! My sister in law said it was worst than Thanksgiving week last year and swore she'd never go for Mardi Gras again.

Beast_fanatic
01-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Disney considers the Spring Break period to run from Presidents Day weekend through Easter, so since Mardi Gras falls within this time period (since Easter is later this year) it falls within peak season.

skram79
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Going for Mardi Gras also, found this on Disney's website:
http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/specialOfferDetails?name=Promo&promotionCode=fy09q2room&market=fy09q2room
It has the value's at $74, moderates at $124 and deluxe at $229 Sun through Thur.
Have a wonderful trip.

crltkcagle
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
We were thinking about going during this time too. I didn't think the parks would be that crowded but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

KatGat
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
We were there for Mardi Gras for the first time last year (first week of Feb.) We normally go in November. It was not shoulder to shoulder at all. There were plenty people around-seemed like many of them were from Louisiana, but nothing like the parks get close to Thanksgiving. We'll be there again this Mardi Gras and are hoping that President's Day doesn't push the crowds too much higher. With Mardi Gras being on different dates each year, it's hard to compare to previous years. Sometimes it coincides with other things that affect park attendance. We are preparing for a busy time and getting our purple/green/gold shirts out!

Here we go again...
01-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Since Mardi Gras falls right in the middle of Spring break this year it will be much busier.
I am not scared though, I will be there!!
I love it when Mardi Gras fall early February, but then it is during dance competition. I am just glad that we are not dancing this year.

chick20679
01-25-2009, 08:42 AM
We were there for Mardi Gras last year. It was much more crowded than we expected, but not unbearable. :thumbsup:

We had expected low crowds, since schools in New England (where we're from) were not on break, but we found out once we got there (as I am sure you know) that Louisiana school break is the week of Mardi Gras. We heard from lots of folks that said they "get the heck out of dodge" during Mardi Gras, and thus the influx of "LSU Tiger" t-shirts. ;)
I would guess that maybe they are anticipating larger "get out of dodge" crowds again this year?

As for your other question, which week is a tough decision, personally I would go the later option since then you will only have the Mardi Gras week vacationers as opposed to the Presidents Day week vacationers?? :twocents: