PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Credits

wildernesslady
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Due to lower fares, which is great, I have $400 in credits to use by Aug. We are not planning any other trips. We already have 3 booked. One for Oct. and the credits are no longer good and we have plenty for that trip already which is great. Does anyone know how I can get reimbursed for these? Can I sell them? I'm not trying to break any rules. If I am please delete this post. I just need some advice. Southwest lets anyone use these credits, so I'm sure they are aware that they may get sold to someone else. Thanks for any help.

DizneyRox
12-31-2008, 09:21 PM
I have seen them offered for sale. I forget what info you need to redeem them though. I think you need more than just the confirmation number, but don't quote me on this.

You could always just buy flights for someone if you don't want to give them the necessary info.

WDWFanatic
01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Do you have any friends taking trips? That's what friends of ours did, sold them to a friend. But I have seen them on different lists for sale.

thrillme
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
a. You can buy a ticket for someone else friend or family and they just pay you for the ticket.

b. SOMETIMES...you can talk to Southwest and occasionally they'll grant you an extension. (This may be considered especially if you have 3 other trips planned already. Don't be offended if they say "no" but sometimes they can work something out).

DizneyRox
01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
b. SOMETIMES...you can talk to Southwest and occasionally they'll grant you an extension. (This may be considered especially if you have 3 other trips planned already. Don't be offended if they say "no" but sometimes they can work something out).
What they told me is, you need to let it expire, then write a letter, then they took the $50 fee off and extended the rest for like 6 months if I recall correctly. It's better than nothing, but there was a cost. They would not extend it before it expired.

bkfree
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I know several who have bought the credits off off Ebay. You basically get the code for X amount of money. Then you just put the code in when you purchase your ticket.

May be risky.

KF

jesaia
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
ebay has been shutting them down lately for some reason. You can try craigslist but beware of scam artists.

DizneyRox
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
ebay has been shutting them down lately for some reason. You can try craigslist but beware of scam artists.
People just don't know how to market their auctions. They should list it as a friendly e-mail hello from anytown USA. And the winner will receive a free travel credit of $xx.xx for winning the auction.

FaithTrustPixieDust
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I did this recently. SWA told me that they would consider extending my deadline for $50 per ticket. I had about $300 in credit, but it involved 4 different tickets. I could not see spending $200 to save $300.

I "sold" mine to my sister for an upcoming flight she was booking. I just gave her the code and she sent me a check.

As long as there is some degree of trust in the transaction, it's a very simple solution.

wildernesslady
01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the creative ideas. I did see them listed on ebay and the next day they were gone. I don't see why. You can sell gift cards for no problem. I did see them on craigslist, but I did not realize I had to be careful of scams on that site. I do have until Aug., so hopefully something comes through.