PDA

View Full Version : What important things do I need to know...

snifflesmcg
12-31-2008, 06:02 AM
I have been to Disney World a bunch of times but never to DisneyLand. Well, come May, my sister and I are driving cross country and one of our stops is 2 days in DisneyLand. I know that Disneyland is a lot smaller they also have California Adventure but what other important things do I need to know before I go? Anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

jrkcr
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
I grew up going to WDW almost every year as a teen. Now I go with DH and my 3 kids about once a year, or every two years. We went for 10 days in November(last month). So we love WDW.
BUT....
We have finally moved close enough to California to visit DL! We went twice to DL in 2008, 5 days in the parks each time. And I had warned my kids that it was smaller, older, maybe not as "magical" as WDW....BOY, was I wrong!! DL is great!! I know it is smaller(no epcot, AK, etc) ...but comparing MK to MK, DL is my fav! The cast members there are so knowledgeable about the history of the park and Walt, etc. And when they find out you've been to WDW, they all ask questions about WDW! As for the rides-DL has a few that don't exist at WDW, so it was fun to ride things I rode as a kid at WDW- like the submarines, and Mr Toad. And the rides that are original to DL-very cool!
Have a great trip!! Maybe we'll see you there-we plan to go again in March!

LibertyTreeGal
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
The magic is sure there alright!!! :D

The food choices are more limited so do not go expecting a WDW experience there. That being said, I love eating IN POTC at the Blue Bayou!

But my favorite place to eat is the Baker's Field Bakery, they have salads and sandwiches served in/on fresh sourdough! They chicken salad is sublime.

You can also go on a tortilla factory tour and eat a fresh tortilla at the end, yum!

The biggest downside to DL is that the park was NEVER set up to allow so many people and so traffic does not flow as freely in the park as with WDW where they really learned their lesson. So just be prepared for some congestion at times and you won't be surprised :)

Definitely go to the firehouse and look up, because above the firehouse is the apartment Walt Disney often stayed in while the park was being built. Try not to cry too loud.....

Tom sawyer;s Island has been changed entirely to Pirate's Island and I was miffed in the extreme, until we went there and it is a blast with unexpected fun things to do and see. Highly recommend it.

POTC and HM are better and longer rides than at WDW. :thumbsup: Didn't do Nemo last time because it was opening weekend and the lines -- oy vey!

But take your time and really enjoy the uniqueness of the park, this one isn't about the rides for me. Oh, especially New Orleans Square! And go tot eh Golden Horseshoe and watch the Billy's they are a must (you can see videos of them on youtube)

snifflesmcg
01-03-2009, 10:19 PM
You guys are the best! Since we only have 2 days to spend, we are going to hit the things that make DL special and see (or skip) things that can be found at WDW last (such as tower of terror).

I did notice the last of dining facilities. So thanks for the suggestions and don't worry, I'll keep a tissue handy when looking above the firehouse.

Any other tips would be great!!

NotaGeek
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Just and FYI ... all the rides at Disneyland also featured at WDW are totally different, especially Tower of Terror. If you have time, do everything. The parks aren't like WDW and you'll have time to do all the attractions.

snifflesmcg
01-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks NotaGeek!:thumbsup: I knew that some of the rides were different (its a small world & POTC) but I figured that rides like the Tower of Terror would be basically the same. See, I'm glad I posted this because I wouldn't have known. This 3 1/2 week trip is already overwhelming (not to mention, due to my BF birthday we can't leave until May 11 throwing me right into Memorial Day weekend).

LibertyTreeGal
01-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Oh I wanted to clarify, you can't go in the apartment, it's just up there :)

Jeff
01-04-2009, 08:16 AM
We went to DL last summer after many trips to WDW. It was great.

The one thing I would skip is the Nemo ride. We did it first thing the park opened but it is still a wait and a slow ride. Not worth the wait if your time is limited but it was cool to be in the subs again.

Definitely secure a good spot to see Fantasmic. I think it is a much better show at DL. The pirate/pan sceen on the Colombia was very cool.

Have a great time.

DlandMommy
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
You must ride Tot I think it is way better than WDW.Also Space M the seating is sidebyside more fun:mickey:DL is more cozy but WDW is grand:number1:For a added bonus eat dinner at plaza out on the porch during fireworks you'll love it:thumbsup:...almost forgot Matterhorn WDW doesnt have one...enjoy:)