PDA

View Full Version : Mid Sept or Dec?

tinksmom02
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I *think* we're in the planning stages for yet another disney trip. I've already contacted Terrisue at MJ and got a quote for mid-Sept (hoping for free dining, although I know it's not guaranteed). However, I would really like to see Disney pre-Christmas.

I know what the crowds are like in mid-Sept; what are the crowds like mid-Dec? I have to work around my school schedule, which lists the last day of finals as Dec 12. I'm guessing we could do Dec 10-17 or something along those lines. How are the crowds prior to Christmas? Are there typically discounts available for this time?

Thanks!

faline
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Generally moderate but manageable. Crowds get larger the closer to the holiday you get.

MushuGrl
12-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I found it to be more crowded in mid-Dec this year than Sept. last year. However, I personally would pick December for the weather. MAN was it nice.

Bri
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
we have gone in mid sept twice and mid december once. the reason we went mid december was to see the christmas decorations. we most likely won't go back at that time of year again. the decorations and special christmas stuff was great but the crowds are more than we were anticipating. i heard a lot of people say that it was the most crowded they have seen disney at that time of year ever. the weather was obviously much cooler than september but you can do so much more in september and it's MUCH less crowded. if your goal is to just go and see the decorations and not really do every ride, then you will be fine in mid december. don't get me wrong, we were still able to do a lot but we would deal with the heat to get the lower crowds anyday.

thumperbug
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I've done WDW Mid December 2 years in a row (not this year) and have heard that the crowds in December are now more crowded then in the past and anticipated.

If I had to choose b/w Sept and Dec based on crowds, I would choose Sept. If you have your heart set on seeing Disney at the holiday time...go with December. The decorations are beautiful.

Being from the north like you, I found it weird to be surrounded by holiday decor in 75 degree weather. Felt like it should be cold and I should be bundled up.

Sept or Dec...either way its Disney!

pogo
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
We were at POFQ form December 11th to the 17th and I didn't think the crowds were too awful bad ! Our trip reports are posted and I've added some photos too. :thumbsup:

We usually go in late April and the crowds were a little less than that period.

I heard the week before was really crowded with pop warner kids. Also the week after had a lot of local kids our of school.

The weather is cooler than September.... but you don't have the humidity and possible hurricanes to deal with.

If you haven't seen WDW at Christmas, you should do it once. That was our thought going into it and it still is our thought.

Good luck with you decision ! :D

tinksmom02
12-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Being from the north like you, I found it weird to be surrounded by holiday decor in 75 degree weather. Felt like it should be cold and I should be bundled up.

Kind of like trick or treating in 80 degree weather in mid-September? ;)

I dunno...much as I'd love to see Disney at Christmastime, I think I'm leaning towards mid-Sept again. The possibility of free dining is just too great. Are there any discounts available for that time frame? I know "regular" or "holiday" season kicks in around Dec 18, so we'd want to be there before then.

diannamouse
12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
We have gone several times in September and twice in December. We much prefer the weather in December. The crowds during free dining were much worse than pre-Christmas. The Christmas decorations were fantastic, not to mention the special events (MVMCP, Candlelight Processional). Also, no love bugs in December! We hit the height of love bug season both times were were at WDW in September. Being very bug-phobic, it really spoiled it for me.

Also, this past year the offered many different discounts for the second and third weeks of December.