PDA

View Full Version : Brad's Happy Holiday Adventure - Day Three

brad192
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Who: Just me – my third consecutive solo trip.
When: Dec. 10-20
Where: Pop Century, room 6459

Day Three – Mini Meet & Mega Meal

Friday the 12th dawned cool, overcast, but dry. Up at 8, I was at the AK bus stop by 9 anticipating the I’cot Surf & Turf meet later that morning. Arriving at the gates about 9:30, I made a hasty trek back to KS thinking that it’s early & cool, so the animals should be out in force. About a 10 minute wait & we were on our “2 week journey”. Maybe it was a bit too cool for some of the animals, as we didn’t see much of the usual ones. We did however, spy a cheetah, male lion, and got close enough to a couple of giraffes that we could’ve reached out & touched them (we didn’t). So overall, it was a good safari. We pulled back into the unload area, and the guy sitting next to me said “That was a quick 2 weeks!” I commented “Yeah, but you’ve got to remember it’s Disney Magic”, at which point he laughed & we parted ways. Now it was time to beat it to the meet, so I hustled toward Nemo.

It was about 10 minutes before the actual meet time when I arrived at the theater, looking around for a group of people sporting Intercot apparel, or a face I might recognize from the ’07 anniversary meet. There didn’t seem to be anyone around, then I spotted Jeff (JPL), the organizer of the meet. We talked for a few minutes awaiting further arrivals, but only Linda showed. :huh: A mini-meet indeed! Originally, there were going to be around a dozen of us, but I guess plans had changed for most. We shuffled into the theater around 11:15 for the 11:30 show, and got pretty good seats in the right center about 10 rows up from the middle aisle. The show was as good as always, with a completely packed theater (how fun to play to a full house each performance). After the show, we met up with Figaro :cat: & his 2 humans Mikki and Andrew. We chatted a few minutes & decided to head for the “turf” part of our meet at Flametree.

Arriving at Flametree during prime lunch hour, we were greeted with somewhat long lines, and Mikki & Andrew opted for another venue. We said our goodbyes & waited for our turn at the counter. In less time than I had anticipated, we had our meals & were heading down toward the river to dine in one of the pavilions. Sitting down, we were immediately accosted by a duck, who didn’t want to take no for an answer until Jeff told him in no uncertain terms that he was NOT getting any handouts from us. At that point he kind of just gave up & walked away, although a HUGE Ibis(?) strolled up a little later & I made a comment about it being able to carry small children away! He was interested, but not aggressive, as he did the math (3 of us – 1 of him) & finally walked away. After our meal, we each snapped a couple of pictures of Everest – a great photo spot for this, and decided to go visit Jessica (CaptainJessicaSparrow), as she posted earlier that she would be at Rafiki’s all day.

Arriving at the train station, it was mobbed! I’ve never seen it so full! We must have waited a good 30 minutes for the train, which should have clued us into what we were going to experience on the return trip, but I guess we were all a bit groggy from our big lunches to think about that. Once at RPW, we started hunting for Jessica & found her in one of the buildings helping out Jiminy Cricket. We chatted with Jessica, schmoozed with Jiminy & generally had a nice time. Jeff had an ADR he needed to get to, so we decided to leave. Hah! We were trapped like a bug in amber trying to exit RPW, as the line to return was at least as long as it was to enter. :( Jeff commented that, a long time ago, there used to be an alternate walking exit to this area, and we were all quite cheesed at the fact that there was only one way in and out of RPW now, and that Disney didn’t inform guests of that fact beforehand. :mad: Needless to say, Jeff missed his ADR & DVC meet. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make MY ADR at the Brown Derby too! We finally got back & decided to split up and go our own ways. I headed for the bus stop to catch a bus to DHS.

Arriving at DHS, I was in the park in no time. Knowing TSM would be an exercise in futility at this point, I opted for the GMR. Once – just ONCE – I’d like to get the western scene. I’ve ridden this thing at least a dozen times & ALWAYS get the gangster scene (yes, I know about the tricks to see the western scene, but you’d think just random dumb luck would let me see it eventually). After GMR, I saw Muppets (love those Muppets) & rode Star Tours, then headed for the Streets of America, hoping to arrive before the start of the Osborne Lights. Yay! I made it with about 10 minutes to spare. It finally got dark enough, and the switch was thrown. :eek:Wow! Pretty impressive! I can see why they start putting these up in August – aircraft could navigate by the glow they produce. Quite amazing! After ogling the lights for a few minutes, I hustled to the Brown Derby, as my ADR was fast approaching.

Arriving right on time, I had to wait about 5 minutes for my table, but was seated in the upper tier, with a nice view of the rest of the restaurant. I really like this restaurant, and for me it’s well worth the 2 DDP credits to dine here. Ordering a Sidecar to start things off, I perused the menu & decided on the bacon wrapped scallop for an appetizer, the NY strip for entrée (along with a second Sidecar), and of course the grapefruit cake for dessert, accompanied by a double espresso. Oh yeah, I was in a very pleasant place right about then. :tasty::cloud9:

It was probably the red meat & alcohol, but I suddenly felt very lazy. I was planning on heading back to Epcot to view Illuminations again, but decided that I’d had enough for the day. Besides, tomorrow was going to be a long one as MK was open ‘til midnight. I jumped on a bus back to Pop, grabbed something to drink from the food court, and went back to my room to watch a little TV & rest up for Saturday.:sleepin:

JMTStone
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
keep 'em coming!

faline
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Yum! Brown Derby is one of my favorites! Great way to end a busy day (except for being trapped at Rafiki's Planet Watch)!

mouseketeer mom
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
How great to be there when they throw the switch on the Osbourne Lights! Great day!

DisneyGlutton
12-31-2008, 02:17 AM
What exactly do you mean you don't get the western scene on GMR? I think I am missing something. Btw, is that bacon wrapped scallop at Brown Derby new, as I don't recall it being on the menu back in May?

hoop de do
12-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Brad but I don't understand you getting tired. At least you didn't get wet. Great Job.

faline
12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
What exactly do you mean you don't get the western scene on GMR? I think I am missing something. Btw, is that bacon wrapped scallop at Brown Derby new, as I don't recall it being on the menu back in May?

On the Great Movie Ride, there are two diferent scenarios when you get "kidnapped"; one is a gangster scene and the other is a Western scene. If you've always gotten one of the two, you may not be aware there is another version.

princessgirls
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the report!

A great day! I would love to meet up with anyone from Intercot. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Julie:mickey:

DisneyGlutton
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
On the Great Movie Ride, there are two diferent scenarios when you get "kidnapped"; one is a gangster scene and the other is a Western scene. If you've always gotten one of the two, you may not be aware there is another version.

Wow, I had no idea! I've always been "kidnapped" in the gangster scene...I must have terrible luck, I guess I need to ride it more than once a trip now.

pdrlkr
12-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DizNee143
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
another great day!! glad you were able to at least meet a couple of people...
you sure do manage to do a lot every day...
off to read more..:mickey:

tinkerbell04
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I too remember the alternate walking path, but that was quite a hike! Sounds like it was a pretty great day! Thanks for sharing.

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a fun day. Brown Derby sounds yummy!!! Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

Bethis26fan
01-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a great day.