PDA

View Full Version : Curves gym?

minnie-mouse
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Has nayone ever belonged to this gym? I believe it is a chain gym. I was just curious what it is like, types of equipment, etc. I am interested in cardio equip (treadmill, steppers, ellipses, etc.) One just opened up by my house but looks really small.

VWL Mom
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Curves by us is a type of circuit training. They use resistance weight machines and aerobics. For example, 3 minutes arm machine, 3 min mini-trampoline, 3 min leg machine, 3 min step....for a total of 30 minutes. Usually set to music with a voice telling you to switch. I think you could probably do a search and find out more.

stitchaholic
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
curves is not a regular gym as you may know it,it is a gym designed for women and run on very different machines,it is a half hour circuit and the machines run on pressure,so it 1 minute cardio,1 minute strent until you have done the circuit and ends with some stretches,i did it for awhile and it was quite effective for someone who has little time,if you go in they will show you how it works

vicster
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I would go to a regular gym if I were you. I went to Curves a couple of years ago - it got quite boring after a while. Everyone I know who went to the same Curves did not renew their contracts. Plus the hours are very limited. I would not recommend Curves.

JoDisney
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I went to Curves and when my membership was up, I joined a regular gym. I hated Curves. It was boring. It is machines in a circle and music is playing and it tells you when to go to the next machine. There is NO resistance. If you get a new machine there is some resistance, but after a while there is none. Curves was more expensive than the regular gym. My new gym has so much more equipment - treadmills, elipticals, recumbents, weights, machines, and much more. Curves does not. It only has certain machines in that circle. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

ChipDale2708
12-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I also did Curves for a few years but reached a point where I didn't see any more results and got bored. Many in our area have closed due to over saturation in the market. I now go to a place called Contours Express. It's the same 30 minute principal, but the machines are real weights not resistance. They also run many different classes so you don't get bored. Curves is good place to start - but don't stay for the long run.

BeccaO
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I also belonged to curves at one time and did not like it. It is very very boring and the weights on their machines do not change, and they do not have any cardio equipment. I did not get any results belonging to curves either, I have gotten more results on my own by walking than I did when I belonged to curves.

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2008, 02:11 PM
We have a Curves circuit at the YMCA that I belong to. I tried it out initially but decided I would rather do the Fitlinx circuit (also offered at our Y) as it is more challenging and is in the cardio area so that I can get right on a treadmill after my weight training.

SBETigg
12-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I would also recommend joining a regular gym vs Curves. I joined Gold's and they have a section for women only, which is nice but I usually work out in the main gym anyway. The great thing is that they offer all kinds of different activities and classes for the price of your regular membership (like most full scale gyms) so it is more challenging and harder to get bored and lose interest. Considering what you say you're looking for, I think your best bet is a more regular gym and not a Curves type place.

vicster
12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I did not get any results belonging to curves either, I have gotten more results on my own by walking than I did when I belonged to curves.

Same here with no results. The girl who worked there kept asking me what I was doing wrong at home because nothing ever changed. Mind you I'm a size 8 - 10 and she was a 14 - 16. I was polite enough not to ask her what she was doing wrong at home. She was definitely not good advertisement for Curves.

alphamommy
12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been a Curves member for several years. I don't think it is what you are looking for, because of the reasons stated by other posters.

I will say, in defense of Curves, that it has been good for me. I've never been much for exercise, and Curves got me off the couch and doing something, even if it isn't a lot.

It may not meet everyone's needs, but it works for me!

Good luck!

minnie-mouse
01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks so much for all your responses. I workout frequently at home (treadmill, rower, aerobics) and wanted something to beef up my workouts. It does not sound like Cruves would work for me. Thanks again!

DisneyDog
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I almost joined. They were having a special deal but I waited. Then they closed, so I was glad I didn't put out the money! There is another one that's not too far, but other gyms that are much closer. I thought it was strange that no one was in there when I went in to check it out.

SAHDad
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Oddly enough, when the local Curves opened, they sent me a lot of information, with special rates and everything. I was always tempted to take one of their mailers in and try to sign up, and when they refused (since I have that whole pesky Y-chromosome), I'd ask why they sent me the ads in the first place.

I do run past it from time to time (literally - it's right off one of my running routes), and it doesn't look like it offers very much. I'd recommend a normal gym, since you'd have more options there.

ChipDale2708
01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Okay, so after responding to this being against Curves and now going to a gym called Contours Express, I just found out they are closing as of March 1. :thedolls: Figures, if it works, close it. Now I'm going to be gym hunting. Does anyone belong to Planet Fitness or know anything about them? A new one just opened and it's on my way home from work. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!