PDA

View Full Version : AP vs. Specials

llamaface
12-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I have a question that I was wondering if you all could answer. The first few vacations that we took, I used an AP and received great room discounts. Then we started taking advantage of free dining packages and we haven't gotten an AP since. However, we were thinking about getting one this year. Our family does have a 4/3 package booked for May, but we were thinking that we might go again in December, in which case an AP might be a better idea. I also have been reading in other threads that the 4/3 deal is not the greatest when in comparison to room only rates. In doing the figuring, I didn't know if you can still use a child's AP to get the AP rate, or do you now need an adult's? I remember that being discussed a couple of years ago.

PS - I do realize that AP rates are not guaranteed..................

DDuck66
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
We have had AP's for the past 2 years and our upcoming trip in January is the first time that we have been able to use the discount. A lot of times, the discounts are not released until 30 days before they start so as ultra planners we have not been able to take advantage of them. We are getting a preferred room at Pop Century for $59 per night so that is pretty good. The general rule of thumb seems to be if you are going to spend more than 11 days at the parks, then it is worthwhile for the AP. If you get the extra room discount, that is just a bonus.

DizneyRox
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
A child AP is no longer allowed to take advantage of AP room discounts. You will need an adult AP.

If it were me, I'd go with the 4/3 right now, get a SINGLE day ticket and upgrade each as necessary when you get there. Done this way, not all tickets need to end up being the same. You can upgrade the adult ticket(s) to APs and the child tickets to 7 day or whatever you need.

AP room rates used to be about 50% off rack rates. Lately they have been only about $100 or so if I recall correctly. I honestly haven't been paying too much attention being a DVC member. But they have been pretty sad.

As you mention, discounts are not a guarantee, so base your decision on the AP on park entry days only. With that said, I do think this economy is going to provide us all with some pretty good deals for the next year. If they are available to AP holders is not a given however. they seem to be ore interested is getting people who haven't been in a while as evidenced by the PIN discounts that are released. DVC members and AP holders are often overlooked.

KylesMom
12-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Last year we were able to book WL Courtyard view for $201/night in value season in July with A/P rates. This was the first time in several years we were able to take advantage of A/P rates - we've been booking AAA room-only discounts for the prior three years even though we've been passholders since the early 2000's. There have simply not been A/P rates offered for our selected hotels during June/July for the past several years.

With the 4/3 special going on now, we're paying $189 per night, standard view at WL during regular season. This figure excludes the cost of the 1-day ticket per person we need to purchase to get the special. We'll save that ticket until we need to purchase A/Ps next year. For comparison purposes, with a AAA room-only discount during the same timeframe in 2007, we paid $268/night for a standard view room. We're seeing a $79/night savings with the 4/3 offer ($1,100 savings for our entire stay from AAA room-only to 4/3 package) - and that's after two years of price increases.

If A/P rates are released and they come to below $189 with tax for W/L, we'll take it. Otherwise we'll sit on the current 4/3 deal. I have a feeling, however, that we aren't going to see A/P rates fall below this figure. It sure would be nice, but I'm not counting on it.

As DisneyRox mentioned, you must have a valid Adult A/P to receive the room discounts. Disney closed the child A/P loophole.