PDA

View Full Version : TeamB's Marathon Vacation -- Pre Trip Report

teambricker04
12-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Hooray! Our vacation is right around the corner... this will be one for the record books!

Role Call!
Me -- Nicole, Mom&Wife and planner of WDW Trips
DH -- Aaron, Dad&Husband and Marathon runner
DS#1 -- 3yo (Almost 4!!!) and will be walking, wait, running his way through the parks. He is super excited to see Tinker Bell and ride Splash (again!).
DS#2 -- 1.5 yo and ready to break out a new stroller and excited to sleep in a big boy bed.

Where?? Fort Wilderness Cabins
When?? January 8-16

January 8th -- We actually have plane tix this trip (we usually fly standby)! We are excited, but our flight gets in at midnight so we will be staying at a hotel at the airport. We might try to get on an earlier flight... we'll see!

January 9th -- We will be getting up early, DH will get ready first and then run to get the rental car. After we are all ready and loaded up we will be heading to WDW, but not to the parks! We will be going to WWS to pick up DH's bib for the marathon and to get the little boys bibs for the 100m dash. After we are done there, we will go check in and take a break at the cabin. Then we will be headed out for a grocery run. DH will head back to WWS if he wants while the little boys and I go to DHS.

January 10th -- Kids race day! After breakfast at the cabin we will be heading over to WWS for the little boys race. Because of their ages they are running in the same race. I am not sure how it will all work out, but I am thinking the little one will need some help getting to the finish line. He is a little shy so I hope he isn't totally overwhelmed. They will be wearing running gear... I am hoping to find them some sweatbands :) I had asked DS#1 if they want to wear their halloween costumes (Peter Pan and Buzz), but I was informed that you can't wear that for a running race. After the big race, we'll go back to the cabin for some rest and lunch. DS#1 and I may head to a park while the other two nap. Dinner will be at the cabin... CARBO LOADING!

January 11th -- Race Day! DH will be getting up very early to get ready and take the transportation over to EPCOT. The boys and I will be out the door by 7am (I hope) to catch a boat to the Contemporary. Our first stop to try and see DH is the road out front of the hotel. If we see him, we'll hop on the monorail and go to the GF and try to see him over there before heading to EPCOT. Depending on travel times, we may go through the park and see him before he gets through the International Gateway, probably by BC. We aren't going to the end of the race. We'll wait to get a call from him... and probably hit up Nemo and Figment while we wait. After, we'll get DH and head back to FW for some food and rest. The rest of the day depends on how he feels.

January 12th - 15th -- We are going to take it as it comes! Probably EPCOT on Monday, MK on Tuesday, AK on Wed, and DHS on Thursday. We always park hop a lot, so I am certain we will end up doing more than one park a day!!! We also want to spend time at FW. I know we will be doing campfires/singalongs/movies, but we are waiting to see what movies are playing on what nights. DS#1 will probably do a pony ride at FW. We are bringing our swim suits, but I am not seeing us in the pool much.

Do you notice something about our trip??? We have not made a single ADR. Since we are staying in the cabins we will be doing breakfast there and at least one meal (lunch or dinner) also. Our two little ones don't really care for the character meals and prefer things like Cosmic Rays and Tangerine Cafe. (Fine with me!!!) Plus, with the race, DH is very particular about what he will be eating up to the race. You had better believe we'll be whooping it up with dole whips afterward!

We head back home on January 16th... sad, but happy that we will have a whole weekend before we return to normal life!

mouseketeer mom
12-29-2008, 08:32 AM
A Marathon Weekend! Fantastic! Come back and tell us all about it. Good luck to your DH and your little ones!!

faline
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I didn't know they had a race for kids as part of the Marathon! Good luck to all the runners in your family!

Enjoy your stay in Fort Wilderness! It's such a great place to stay!

DizNee143
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
sounds like its going to be a great vacation!! i hope you and your family have a wonderful time..and i hope all your boys..hubby included have a good time with the races/marathon..:mickey:

jonah'smom
12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!

I see that you mentioned your DS is excited about riding Splash again. You may want to prepare him because it is scheduled for refurb Jan 4-17.

teambricker04
12-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks! We are so excited...

If DH wouldn't be in the marathon we would have never known about the kids races either. They have all sorts of characters standing at the end cheering the racers on. I think a lot of kids wear costumes, but DS#1 is a serious competitor (as far as three year olds go.).

I never even though to check the refurb list! Better to be prepared that we can't go on something than have a fit when we get there. I told #1 that Splash isn't going to be running. He said, "That's okay, we'll ride the whirly whirl cups instead." Whooo! Disaster averted! BTW... I don't know how tea cups and splash are related, but I guess they are :mickey:

stitchaholic
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
wow,sounds like an exciting trip,we were there last year to see the runners come through the gateway,it is very exciting! what a great role model your DH is for the boys!
have a great trip!

teambricker04
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
The countdown is on... only 4 more days. We are all so excited... I haven't been able to sleep well; I think maybe I need to calm down :mickey:

DH isn't too nervous about the marathon, but he is nervous about getting there. In another thread everyone has been assuring me that it will be okay to take the bus :) Now... we just have to put together some outragous brightly colored outfits so DH sees us!!!