PDA

View Full Version : Food For Room ?

michelLe x3
12-28-2008, 01:06 AM
I see a lot of you buy food for your room to save money on meals and to have snacks. I wanted to get some ideas as to what you guys usually bring since I've never done that before and am planning to do it on my next trip. :mickey: I'm staying @ a value resort so won't be having a fridge or anything like that. Post your ideas please !!

JPL
12-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Even though I buy a refillable mug I still buy a few bottles of soda and water to keep in the room and just go for ice when the food court is closed. I also buy some of the snacks they sell like bags of trail mix and pretzels for a late night snack.

jcmgwdw
12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
I don't know whether or not you rent a car, but I usually get a ride from one of my friends that lives down there the first day we get there and he takes us to a nearby Walmart.

This is great because we can pick up a box of Little Debbie cakes for breakfast and maybe fruit as well as drinks for when the soda bar closes.

-Ryan

michelLe x3
12-28-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the responces. I only live about 2.5 hrs away from WDW so were driving. I'm going to go to Walmart and get things but was looking for a list of items you take on your trip. So far I know i'm going to bring water and Gatrade bottles, cereal, oatmeal, chips, etc. But just looking for more ideas I don't only want to but junk food and am not really into trail mix and stuff like that so healthy ideas would be good also :)

Kenny1113
12-28-2008, 09:05 AM
I have gone so far as taking a cheap cooler ( since we don't usually eat out for breakfast). Saves $$$ and time. We have kept yogurt, fruit, milk etc. I recently saw that you can use dry ice it will keep it cool and last longer. ( I haven't tried it yet ) .

wdw_bound
12-28-2008, 09:18 AM
We go shopping either on the way in or right after check in. Typically SuperTarget. We've always had a fridge, so I'll try to edit for you.

Our shopping list includes:

Fruit (apples and other not quite ripe fruit to last longer)
Organic milk in single serving (usually chocolate, no refrigeration needed)
Cereal (to eat plain - usually a granola type)
Nuts
Cereal Bars
Peanut Butter n Cheez crackers (not healthy, but a DH favorite)
String Cheese / Cheese sticks (needs to be kept cool, but great protein snack)
Veggies - grape tomatoes don't need refrigeration, others if you have a cooler.
Applesauce
Pretzel sticks
Many of the instant soups are also quite healthy - there are several black bean and red bean flavors that we like. I haven't taken them to WDW, but do keep a stash in my office for days when lunch isn't going to happen.

Don't forget to buy paper goods and flatware.

Hope that helps.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

eeyoremom
12-28-2008, 09:24 AM
We have brought several things over the years. Even without a fridge, there is free ice, if you have a decent ice chest, it will work fine. Some suggestions...peanut butter, jelly, crackers, bread, cereal, any snack items, fruit, orange juice. When we were going with 4 kids, we never ate breakfast anywhere but in the room. We also ate lots of sandwiches in the room in the evening. We've even brought lunch meat, in a plastic container for ice chest. Think of the ice chest as if you are camping. We put it by the sinks outside the bathroom, food in a rubbermaid container next to it. Our own little kitchen, works great. Now we are just 2 adults-we don't take nearly as much with us. Use you imagination about what you can bring.

JenniferS.
12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I know that you said that you are staying at a value, so there will be no fridge. Well, we stayed at pop 2 times and you can request a fridge, but it will cost about $10 a day. Not sure if you knew this.

michelLe x3
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas ! I didnt think of bringing a cooler lol i don;t know why I didnt but im definatly going too. And yes I did know about the fridge but never knew how muchc it was thanks for clearing that up for me

Disney Lynn
12-29-2008, 07:44 AM
DH & I always stay at a value resort (retired/fixed income!) so we eat breakfast in the room to save money & time. Since we both like to start the day with coffee, we bring a coffee maker (don't forget the mugs, filters, measuring spoon plus the coffee) and ice chest, plus a small cutting board and knife- for our cheese and crackers when we take an afternoon break (to go with the beer and wine in the ice chest!). Breakfast is cereal with bananas and milk and OJ (disposable bowls pack well in the corners of suitcases). Cereal onsite is expensive, so we usually pack a box in the suitcase (space for souvenirs on the way home). And we stop at a Target between the airport and WDW to stock up.

As for the coffee maker, either buy a cheap one at Target (usually under $10) or bring one from home. We have an extra one (still with it's box) that fits perfectly in a medium size cooler (soft side with plastic insert & it zips closed). I use it as my carry-on (TSA never even blinks, so I guess I'm not the only one!)

pink
12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
We stayed at the Pop in September and didn't have a fridge. We mostely brought breakfast type foods and midnight snacks to keep us satisfied. Nothing was very healthy.

What we brought:
Twizzler bits
Starburts
Lot's of gum
Granola Bars
Rice Krispie Treats

Have a great trip.:mickey:

KatGat
12-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Our in-room staples include:
little debbie donuts
cereal/milk
tuna cups/packets (no draining required)
canned chicken salad
jello, pudding & fruit cups
deli meats & cheese (in hard container in chest)
ziploc bags (sandwich & gallon)
disposable-plates, bowls, cups-& coffee mugs, towels

-We eat in room each morning & make sandwiches to take with us. sometimes we return to the room to have sandwich.