PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Cooks!! Non-Stick vs. Stainless Steel?

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm about to buy new pots-n-pans for the first time in about 14 years! I'm debating the pros and cons of non-stick cookware vs. stainless steel. I know it's ultimately a personal preference . . . . . just wondering what the overall recommendation is.

THANKS YALL! :mickey:

teambricker04
12-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Do you cook fancy food or just quick for the family?

I use both types of pots and pans, but I mainly use my non stick. Since I am in a high elevation, these ones tend to heat up quicker. I have some stainless steel that I use for things that are going to cook longer like soups and stews.

Really, I think it is what you use your cookware for :) Good luck finding the right ones!

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I mainly just cook for the fam, but I aspire to be a gourmet one day! :blush:

summerRose
12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I cook everyday (from gourmet to quick)for my family of 6 and have used both kinds . I now use stainless and I wouldn't use anything else. The non stick just never held up no matter what brand I bought. Eventually it got scarred. The stainless is super and will last! Plus there are health concern with using nonstick (which you can google--I won't bore everyone as that sort of thing can be controversial). I also use my two cast iron skillets everyday (it becomes nonstick if you season it first). They will last generations!

Strmchsr
12-26-2008, 03:56 PM
The non-stick is nice, but stainless steel really is better in the long run. The non-stick will eventually chip off, get in your food, etc. I've found stainless steel to also cook better overall.

ElenitaB
12-26-2008, 03:59 PM
My set of pots and pans is stainless steel and I love, love, love it. However, I also have a set of non-stick skillets and they are used quite often. Honestly, it depends on the use I'm going to give the pan (e.g., eggs and such go in non-stick).

MNNHFLTX
12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I have only one non-sticket piece of cookware in my collection, and that's an omelet skillet. I am reluctant to use non-stick for any other kind of cooking, due to potential health hazards of cooking at high temps with them. Supposedly the chemicals used to create the non-stick surface can react with high temps to give off fumes that may be toxic. I prefer stainless steel with a layer of copper in the base to help distribute the heat while cooking. It's more expensive, but worth it, IMO. And stainless steel is still relatively easy to clean if food is not scorched on and it can be soaked in the sink for a while.

coloradowendyl
12-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Stainless here!
Things to look at while shopping...riveted handles, solid core bottoms, etc

I have All Clad LTD...17 yrs old (pricey as all heck) but looks and cooks like brand new. They clean up from all messes with no issue and I don't have things sticking to the bottom due to the core.

wendy

kakn7294
12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I use both. I have stainless pots and non-stick pans. I do prefer the non-stick surfaces to pan-fry foods but use the stainless pots for everything else. I have had to replace the non-stick twice but I have the same stainless set that I got when we got married 15 1/2 yrs ago. The stainless will last much longer.

DizneyRox
12-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Another fan of cast iron. I cook everything I can in cast iron, then I'll go stainless... I seldom use non-stick except for maybe pancakes, grilled cheese, and stuff like that...

I've never seen a non-stick hold up for more than a few (5) years...

Oh, if you have one of those ceramic cooktos, don't go with cast iron. You'll end up ruining your cooktop if you cook much....

Soccer_coach
12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I would vote for both kinds, if possible. We use our anodized aluminum, non-stick pans for most day-to-day cooking, but we have some stainless stuff for certain dishes. The right tool for the job, so to speak. It does pay to spend some extra money on higher-quality cookware, though. We have Cuisinart cookware, which I've found to be a great value. Our non-stick stuff is about 5 years old and still works great, though starting to show signs of wear/tear. I try to keep all of our cookware out of the dishwasher, and I only use nylon or plastic utensils to extend the life of our non-stick pans. But, I cooked some over-easy eggs this morning without any butter, oil or cooking spray, and the eggs slid right out (that reminds me, avoid the cooking spray, that can mess up non-stick surfaces).

Also, electric or gas stove? Stainless steel is actually a fairly poor conductor of heat, so you'll want to find stainless cookware with an aluminum core for even, controlled heat. We have a gas range, and the anodized aluminum non-stick pans work great. precise, even heating.

Take a look at the Cuisinart Chef's Classic series in both non-stick anodized aluminum and stainless steel. Great pans for the $$$ and available from Amazon (great prices, selection and lots of user reviews) and also sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond. We started off with a 10-piece set than have been adding to our collection through open-stock off of Amazon. There are better pans, but at a much higher cost.

dnickels
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd vote for stainless steel, as a PP mentioned, the reason the non-stick surface doesn't stick is because microscopic layers of the non-stick material are flaking off (not in flakes big enough to be seen but enough to make the surface 'work'). It's probably harmless but it's one more chemical that's easy to avoid. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I use both (but the stainless steel has to have a copper base). Sauces, roasts etc get Le Creuset (nothing compares)...I use non-stick for eggs.

SBETigg
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Non-stick is making the news a lot recently for the health risks (cancer-causing)brought on by the coating, as a lot of people are mentioning. The recommendations I've seen from nutritionists and doctors (on TV, no actual expert quotes to add) are to avoid this type of cooking surface. For this reason, and the fact that non-stick pans wear out quickly, I would go with a great set of stainless steel. I currently have both, but won't be replacing the non-sticks as they age. I seldom use the non-stick now. I would rather risk a little extra olive oil in my diet than a chemical coating.

DizNee143
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
about 6 months ago i got all non stick..from my bridal shower...but i havent gotten them out of the box yet..im using my moms old stainless steel and some non stick pots and pans...and really i could careless which one i use as long as it cooks my food..lol...
even with the health concerns i would go for non stick...not to sound mean but no matter how you look at it..you dont get out alive...lol...so it doesnt really matter..

jrkcr
12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
About 2 years ago I got a set of very pretty red non-stick....and they are not holding up, but thats because I am "tough" on my cookware. I tend to use them daily, put them throught the dishwasher, and occasionally burn them. :blush:

I usually use cast iron, so I think I will go back to my tried and true! I even have a tiny, cast iron frying pan from my great-grandmother. It looks brand new!(but with a nice seasoned coating).
And I still use stainless steel pots that I got as wedding presents 18 years ago!

So my vote is for stainless steel(or cast iron)! :thumbsup:

PirateLover
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Because of this thread I researched the matter a little bit. The chemicals are known as perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), or C-8. "PFOA has been shown to cause cancer, low birth weight and a suppressed immune system in laboratory animals exposed to high doses of PFOA. Studies have shown the chemical to be present at low levels in the bloodstream of 9 out of 10 Americans, and in the blood of most newborns. And although the effects of PFOA at lower doses in humans are disputed, there does seem to be a link between PFOA and raised levels of cholesterol. More seriously, some people have claimed that PFOA exposure caused birth defects in babies born to mothers working at a Teflon plant in the early 1980s. " The article goes on to say though that none of this has been directly link to the use of non-stick pans.

Most watchdog groups do believe that when cookware is used properly, you run little to no risk of releasing these chemicals. But DuPont, makers of Teflon, have been caught hiding lots of info so who knows.