PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Help

Jeri Lynn
12-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a 17 pound boneless prime rib I am cooking for Christmas Dinner.

I have browsed the web for cooking instructions and have found all different times and temperatures given.

I have cookied a rib this size before but it's been about 4 years and I don't remember how long it took.

Has anyone cooked a rib this size lately or any advise on how long I should cook this.

I'm hoping to have dinner at 12:30pm tomorrow.

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

DizneyRox
12-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I just cooked a roast beef and it was about 22-25 minutes a pound at 325 I think... Don't quote me on that.

I sliced into it with a steak knife and put a few cloves of garlic inside with a little salt and pepper on the outside. It was tasty!!!

BrerGnat
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd count on 5-6 hours of roasting (plus resting) time, at 325 degrees. Use a probe thermometer. Insert it as close to the middle of the roast as possible and leave it in during the roasting. Aim for an internal temp of 125-130 for medium rare. If you want to eat at 12:30pm, I'd take the roast out of the fridge at probably 5:30-6am and let it rest at room temp while the oven heats up (about 30-45 min). Don't put a cold roast in the oven, or it will bring the oven temp down and it will take awhile to recover. Aim to get the roast in the oven around 6:30am, no later. You'll need at LEAST 5 hours of roasting time, I think. 17lbs is HUGE for a roast and you'll want to roast it at a low temp so it will be juicy. If you try to jack up the oven, it will dry out by cooking too fast.

Also, remember to let the roast rest a good 30-45 min after you take it out of the oven before you carve it, or all the juices will run out as soon as you begin to slice it.

Hope that helps!

WishingStar2006
12-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I cook mine at 450 for about 30-45 minutes and then turn the oven down to 250 for 20 minutes per pound...keeps it juicy and tender.

Merry Christmas!