PDA

View Full Version : Best QB in the NFL ?

gueli
12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Who is the best QB in the NFL-

Now ?
of all time ?

your top 10 ?

Thanks
:mickey:

PirateLover
12-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Best is really hard to quantify... do you go by pure stats? Number of championships? It can be subjective. So, I'll just go with my favorites. My favorite current QB is Peyton Manning. I think he is fun to watch, he is a great role model, and I love his commercials and sense of humor.
My favorite of all time would probably be Johnny Unitas. Since he was Lithuanian (as am I) he's always been a big name in this household. As a kid I absolutely loved watching Randall Cunningham, although he certainly isn't the best of all time. Also a big Montana fan. I read a biography about him for a book report once in middle school and I remember this story about him proposing to his wife with a banner flying behind an airplane and it was backwards so he had to keep turning her around until it was right. ;)

BIGDOG
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
BEST NOW....even taking 08 off TOM BRADY BEST EVER....I would have to agree John U I really liked his hair and shoes...plus he was a small guy and could take a good hit...As far as top 10 ....Any thing other then BEST no one remembers them....

The Reservoir Dog
12-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Of all time I would have to say John Elway. Some of his long drives especially the ones against Cleveland in the playoffs to win the game at the death were legendary.

I have to agree with the sense of humour of Peyton Manning. When I come across the pond I always look out for his ads. They are very good. :D

Mackflava99
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Right now- Chad Pennington -Who else would be 10-5 with NO NAME recievers

But of current lot- i'd say Brady- but maybe he is a product of the system, because Cassell looks good too.
So maybe Peyton Manning

All time? Joe Namath , Roger Staubach, Joe Montana & Terry Bradshaw
I like winners not guys who pile up yardage but dont win..

Top 10:
Namath
Montana
Bradshaw
Staubach
Pastorini
Farve
Roman Gabriel
John Unitas
Marino
Richard Todd

Ian
12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Who is the best QB now?
Well ... before his injury, I definitely would have said Tom Brady. But given the fact that it's unlikely he'll come back 100% from this any time soon, I'll have to go with Peyton Manning. There was a time when I doubted his ability to win the big game, but since he put those doubts to rest he's definitely climbed my list.

Who is the best QB of all time?
This gets debated six ways from Sunday, but in my mind it's definitely Joe Montana. There were times when he looked like he had talent on loan from God and his clutch play was second to none.

My Top 10:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Joe Namath
Bart Starr
Johnny Unitas
Jim Kelly
Peyton Manning

Missy_Mouses_Dad
12-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Best now: Peyton Manning. He performs on the field and is a great role model off the field. There aren't that many professional athletes today that are cerebral on and off the field.

Best of All Time: Bart Starr. He was the leader of the greatest teams to play in the 60's. Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana are right behind him. They had class on and off the field.

Top 10:

Bart Starr
Johnny U
Joe Montana
John Elway
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Dan Fouts
A whole bunch at #10...

Pagan
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
You can't compare past to present, the game has changed too much.

Back in Unitas' day, the CB could beat the snot out of the receiver all the way downfield until the ball was in the air. Can't do that now.

The DL could head slap the OL to get to the QB faster. Can't do that now.

I'm amazed at the people saying Brady is the best. Good gravy does anyone watch the games? The "game winning drives" he ran in two superbowls were actually only about 30 yards. Vinitieri won those games with FGs of over 45 yards both times. Not like ol' Tom drove the length of the field like Montana used to with the game on the line.

And you saw what happened last year in the Superbowl when you put a little pressure on him.

It's also amusing to hear the arguments that a great QB is all about winning. It's a TEAM sport guys. Not like a pitcher in baseball who if he dominates doesn't need a great team around him.

In my opinion, the greatest QB ever was Dan Marino. No, not just because I'm a Dolphin fan. Look at the facts.

Dan had NO running game and NO defense. His team was constantly behind, and the other teams KNEW he had to pass.

Still couldn't stop him.

Had you put Marino on those 49ers teams of the 80's, he'd have 6 rings by now. Montana was great, but how often was his greatness attributed to a five yard slant pass that Jerry Rice took the remaining 80 yards?

As for current, Peyton Manning hands down.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree with Pagan's theory with a twist. You can have a good quarterback with a great supporting cast, but that doesn't mean he will be a winner. What good is a qb who piles up tons of stats in the first 3 quarters, and throws away the game in the 4th? It's all about game management. That is what separates the great one's from the "wannabees".

JRocker
12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
The best quarterback now? I would have to go with Peyton Manning.

Of all time? This one is a little more difficult for me. Marino definately has the numbers, however mentioning his name is always followed by "but". And he did have a couple of very strong recievers. Towards the end of his career he lacked a strong supporting cast, but there were a couple of years there where he did have a group around him that was capable, but he lost a step or three after the tendon.

Montana cashed in big and he had FUN playing the game. He had an all-star cast surrounding him. But I really believe that in the game of football, one doesn't become an all-star without a strong supporting cast. Rice supported Montana, and vice versa. Those 49ers were the definition of Team.

I never did care too much for Namath, but really that was on a personal level.

I tend to lean towards Starr. In a true field general sense.

My top ten? I think I'll skip that one. My top ten would probably be a little top heavy with 80's and 90's backs.

barnaby
12-24-2008, 01:44 PM
RIght now - Peyton Manning. He derserves the MVP this season for what he has done with a banged up Indy team.

Being 33 years old, my all-time pick is partial to a player I grew up watching - Joe Montana.

The old timers I know say Johnny Unitas.

Disney-Nut
02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
the best QB right now is Tom Brady.
----------------
But of current lot- i'd say Brady- but maybe he is a product of the system, because Cassell looks good too.
So maybe Peyton Manning--------
maybe so for cassell but what about bradys first superbowl winning season that was not because of the system!!!

sportsguy2315
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Right now, either Peyton or Matt Ryan. Remember, Matt Ryan did so much this year (as a rookie) with what experts would call so little.

All-Time: I'd have to go with Elway. Every time he needed to answer the bell, he did.

Top 10: Since I've only been watching football for about the past decade, I don't think it'd be fair for me to do a fair, honest ranking.

kakn7294
02-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Being a Steeler fan, my top pick is of course Ben Roethlisberger. He's really stepped into a leadership role both on the team and off the field and he's extremely versatile. I think that because his stats aren't always pretty and he's been prone to being sacked quite a bit this year, he's often overlooked as being great. Considering that the Steelers have always been a team that's been "run first, pass second" and they haven't had 2 top-rated receivers since Burress went to the Giants, he's done quite well for himself and the team.

As for the past, I really don't know who to choose. I've only been following football for about 15 - 20 yrs and only closely in the past 10 or so years so I really only have highlights and stats to go on.

Greenlawler
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
There is no question its Peyton as much as I hate to say it. Go Titans!

I'll take Favre in his prime 94-97 anyday. No other QB has won back to back to back MVP'S. He may be taking a killing these days but in his prime, no onewas better.

diz_girl
02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm amazed at the people saying Brady is the best. Good gravy does anyone watch the games? The "game winning drives" he ran in two superbowls were actually only about 30 yards. Vinitieri won those games with FGs of over 45 yards both times. Not like ol' Tom drove the length of the field like Montana used to with the game on the line.

And you saw what happened last year in the Superbowl when you put a little pressure on him.

Exactly! If you want to see how well someone handles pressure in a Superbowl, go look at Jeff Hostetler's performance in Superbowl XXV. He got pummeled and didn't cave, unlike when Brady gets pressured. And the Pats won all of their Superbowls by a field goal, not a touchdown.

Current - It's a toss-up between Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner.

All-time - Johnny Unitas (maybe it's the Lithuanian in me).

Scott C
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Looks to me that right now -- it is anybody who is throwing to Larry Fitzgerald. Great Receivers can make most quarterbacks look great. Remember Culpepper when he had carter AND moss. What has he done since.

Thanks
Scott C

diz_girl
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Acott - Good point. Joe Montana is on a lot of people's lists, yet would he be on them if not for Jerry Rice? Or would Steve Young be in the Hall of fame without Rice?

But I digress, Warner is the second-most accurate quarterback in NFL history, with a career completion percentage of 65.7%. Plus, Warner's career passer rating of 93.8 is the third best of all-time. And Warner has been passing to Fitzgerald for less than half of his NFL career, so it's not just due to Fitzgerald. IMHO - Warner is just consistently underrated, probably since he is a low key guy and isn't considered a 'star' QB with tons of product endorsements (Yes, I'm talking about you, Manning).

barnaby
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Acott - Good point. Joe Montana is on a lot of people's lists, yet would he be on them if not for Jerry Rice? Or would Steve Young be in the Hall of fame without Rice?

But I digress, Warner is the second-most accurate quarterback in NFL history, with a career completion percentage of 65.7%. Plus, Warner's career passer rating of 93.8 is the third best of all-time. And Warner has been passing to Fitzgerald for less than half of his NFL career, so it's not just due to Fitzgerald. IMHO - Warner is just consistently underrated, probably since he is a low key guy and isn't considered a 'star' QB with tons of product endorsements (Yes, I'm talking about you, Manning).

The other more than half, Warner played with Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Marshall Faulk - not too shabby. ;)

Stickey
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Top current QB- P. Manning

It is difficult to compare QB's from different eras. The game evolved from a mostly running game to a balanced plan of attack. Several QB's demonstrated strong leadership skills on the field and performance in the clutch.

My all time QB list:

1) Joe Montana
2) John Unitas
3) Roger Staubach
4) Dan Marino
5) John Elway
6) Terry Bradshaw
7) Bart Starr
8) Troy Aikman
9) Bret Favre
10) Peyton Manning

Greenlawler
02-13-2009, 12:39 AM
My Top Ten:

Of all time not any specific stretch (that list would be different)

1. Peyton Manning ughhhh (Never has a quaterback impacted the game as Peyton has even the other greats did not have the impact Peyton does. Even when Harrison is down Manning is scarey)
2. Bart Starr
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Joe Montana
5. Dan Marino
6. Bret Favre (3 time MVP)
7. Joe Montana
8. Tom Brady (who are his WR's)
9. Y.A. Tittle
10. Ken Stabler
The obvious ommisions:
No offense to Steeler fans Bradshaw was awesome but come on, I would pile up numbers with Stallworth, Harris, Swan, and the others.
The same holds true with Staubach.
Nameth did not have enough years of good football.

Pagan
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Never has a quaterback impacted the game as Peyton has even the other greats did not have the impact Peyton does.
There's a guy who used to wear #13 in South Florida who might disagree with you. ;)

With the exception of Duper and Clayton, he spent most of his career throwing to no name or past their prime receivers, with NO running game, and still was almost unstoppable.

tjstrike
02-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Current top quarterback : Manning is out of his prime so it's a toss up between him, Warner and Rothisberger.

All time :

1 - Elway
2 - Farve
3 - Starr
4 - Unitas
5 - Montana
6 - Young
7 - Marino
8 - Staubach
9 - Bradshaw
10 - Stabler

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Please forgive me but I have questions for most- please understand I am not disparaging your choices, nor am I promoting my own, I just have questions-
Thanks to all who have replied thus far.
:mickey:

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Right now- Top 10:
Namath,Montana,Bradshaw,Staubach
Pastorini
Farve
Roman Gabriel
John Unitas
Marino
Richard Todd

Pastorini - I think I should know him but I am unaware any enlightenment & why he is one of your all time greats ? Same for Roman Gabriel (cool name though) ?
Richard Todd ?? really. I liked todd, but of all time ?? Really ??
:)

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Who is the best QB now?
My Top 10:
9.Jim Kelly
10. Peyton Manning

Jim Kelly ? #9. very interesting. Suprising.
Is it a stat thing or is it a personal thing ?

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:40 AM
My top ten? I think I'll skip that one. My top ten would probably be a little top heavy with 80's and 90's backs.

I wish you had listed. I was curios to begin with.

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Top 10: Since I've only been watching football for about the past decade, I don't think it'd be fair for me to do a fair, honest ranking.

Again, nothing wrong with you picking who you have watched or respected.
It was part of the point of this post.
Same goes for Kakn7294 (oh I hope I got that right).
Kathy, there is nothing wrong with whom you were to choose (even if it were steeler heavy)

gueli
02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
My Top Ten:
4. Joe Montana
7. Joe Montana
10. Ken Stabler
The obvious ommisions:
No offense to Steeler fans Bradshaw was awesome but come on, I would pile up numbers with Stallworth, Harris, Swan, and the others.
The same holds true with Staubach.
Nameth did not have enough years of good football.

Montanna twice ?
Yes Bradshaw had excellent people around him, but I seriosly doubt that you "would pile up the numbers" with that crew.
And I understand about namath.
Oh and I always like Ken Stabler
:beer: