PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Refurb in '09?

GhostHost999
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Folks,

Has anyone heard about a Space Mountain Refurb that is supposed to take place through most if not all of 2009?

JPL
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Nothing official from Disney as of now but all signs are pointing to it taking place. It has been removed from the planning videos and maps.

stitchaholic
12-23-2008, 05:18 AM
it needs the refurb,last year my kids made me ride about 6 times and i couldn't take it anymore,i found it so bumpy!

Stich8818
12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
But given the current economy...maybe not..unless it was already in the budget..I agee that it does need it...my last trip I rode it once and that was way more then my back needed. Dont get me wrong I love the ride..but from what I heard about the DL refurb..its wonderful.

chrisb26
12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
My guess is it is going to happen sometime in 09 as JPL said they completely took it out of the Vacation Planning DVD at times it seemed like they went out of their way to not talk about it. Which is strange because of all the other rides they listed at the Magic Kingdom. Then on the map that came with the VP DVD Space Mtn. was removed. The building was there but there was no mention as to what was in there.

goofy89
12-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Are they going to give it a refurb similar to the Space mountain in Disneyland? After riding the Disneyland version for the first time this past August I think that the Florida one could really use a similar update. :mickey:

magicman
12-23-2008, 04:00 PM
:grinch:
Most all Disney fans like Space Mountain alot,
But Bob Iger, who runs Disney, does not.

Iger hates all refurbs no one quite knows the reason,
He won't spend the money for improvement during any season.

Maybe his shoes fit him too tight,
Or maybe his head isn't screwed on quite right.

Iger would like to do no refurbs at all,
Why it might make his giant pocketbook a tad bit small.

Iger does not care for Mickey or any other mices,
His thoughts are consumed only with raising the prices. :grinch:

the other micki
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Very Cute!!!

Jasper
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
If I remember correctly this is scheduled to happen early in 2009. So, first of all, If it is a refurb. of the kind that would take a major ride like that off the map for most of a calendar year you can bet that it has already been budgeted for and only something of monumental consequence would delay it more than a few weeks or month at the most.

Second, if I am remembering correctly about it going offline early in the calendar year, that would be a perfect time to do a major refurb. Since this is now the end of December you can bet that a very large part of the potential guests for the first six months of 2009 have already decided whether or not to go.

If my line of thinking is correct, then the best thing Disney could do is go ahead with the refurbishment and then in January start promoting the heck out of the "new" version of this ride to bump up attendance later in the year. Personally, I think this would be money well spent to get people back into the parks at just such a time as they should be getting tired of this whole recession business and deciding to go ahead with their vacations regardless of their situation.

DisneyNut2005
12-23-2008, 08:43 PM

That's one of the most terrible and stupid poems I've ever read! :ack:

Iger DOES care about Disney A LOT...even more than you think.

He's made TONS of great, bold moves since Eisner left (Pixar acquisition, etc.).

He's been MILLIONS of times better than Eisner in just about every imaginable way, so please do us all a favor and leave the guy alone! :mad:

laward32
12-23-2008, 08:49 PM
We are going in September and my girls will be so upset if it is down for refurb. My youngest will finally be tall enough to ride and it is my oldest favorite. I know it needs it, but....Oh well. We will have to wait and see.

KAJUNKING
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
if it does go down i hope its ready for our trip in september

WDWRox
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I have been very interested myself in hearing about specific times for the Space Mountain refurb.....given that my next trip is the last week of January 09. From several sources, I have heard that the actual down-time for SM won't begin until very close to Easter in April.

KylesMom
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
This has been going around the rumor mill for quite some time, and I'd be very surprised if they wait until April to take it down for the refurb. Although the extend of the refurb is yet known (mirror DL or just refurb existing track, etc), I've been preparing DH and DS for it for the past two years. Yep, this has been discussed for a looong time.

Although the breakdowns were not near as prevalent in July of '08 as they have been in years past, it was still evident by complaints we heard that it was down quite a bit. In the words of Rafiki, "It is TIME!

LoriMistress
12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm so happy with the SM refurb. Every time I rode it, I felt like Tina Turner and SM was Ike.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
the rehab lists don't have it listed for January so my DH will be happy when we go the last week of January. So far SM isn't listed on any of the rehab lists through July.

DANAM
01-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I hope they refurb it. I rode it on our last trip in May. I haven't rode it since I was in High School 10 plus years ago and I thought I was going to die. I am not the roller coaster rider to begin with but that's my husband and daughters favorite so I did it and I wish I didn't. It is in really bad shape. I seriously thought we were going to crash into something.

Mr. Incredible
01-03-2009, 01:04 AM
:secret:The SM refurb will not be NEARLY as extensive as first rumored. :secret:

big blue and hairy
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM

His thoughts are consumed only with raising the prices. :grinch:While I don't agree with the meaning of the poem, it is cute and took some thought. Well done. Careful on the over the top criticism...;)

:sulley: