PDA

View Full Version : New Years

minnie04
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I just booked a trip for New Years, Please tell me im not crazy for going at this time of year. We have been so many times and never faced large crowds. I know it will be packed, but I want to be somewhere different for NY's, what can I expect...:mickey:

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

DizneyRox
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
As you stated, you know it's going to be packed, but it's worse than that... Really, whatever you think, it's going to be worse.

My last time at WDW at NYE, I arrived at Epcot for 6:30am and was stuck in a line of traffic about a mile long to get into the parking lot. The park closed at 10:30am that day if I'm not mistaken, not sure if it ever opened back up.

The rest of the day was sortof a blur, but I remember people setting up blankets and makeshift tents along WS and other walkways throughout the day.

The part I do remember was Illuminations that day. We were near the McDonald snack shack over near Canada and there were so many people, only a single lane of walking space was available to try to get by. We were about 4 feet away from the railing closer to the lagoon side.

The whole day was a blur of people. But I'll tell you, it'll be something I'll tell my grandkids about. NYE 1999 at Epcot...

minnie04
12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
WOW !! WOW!!!

Im almost afraid to go now, I have heard the stories about the crowds, but man Im thinking about it twice now. My brother went at the beginning of Dec. and he said it was a ghost town at tall the parks. I know NYE is very different. I guess we will play it by ear for now. I was hoping to be in Tennessee after Xmas , but they are all sold out too of cabins this year. I love Disney, but we are spoiled living in Florida that when we go its never crowded. ahhhhh Im debating big time right now of putting the family through the craziness of NYE. :confused::confused:

What to do ?? What to do??

Goes4FastPass
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Going to WDW on NYE isn't crazy. It's an exciting time at an exciting place.

If your goal is to be in a crowd when the fireworks off you'll have a swell time. If you goal is to get on as manya attractions as possiible it's the right place at the wrong time.

At some point the crowds may become more than inconvenience. Standing in line for attractions is one thing. Standing in line to go to the bathroom is another.

Going to WDW on NYE isn't crazy. (shhh... but trying to wish the crowds away might be).

JohnnyJayhawk
12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
We were also there NYE 1999, and while it was seriously crowded the parks weren't so packed that it ruined anything for us. We still got plenty done. We got up late that day and all the parks were closed due to capacity except AK. On our way over there we learned that DHS (then MGM) had opened so we headed over there. Later that evening all the parks were reopened. I think a lot of people got there early then wore out.

Bri
12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
we just got back from staying at akl from dec 8-15. it was way more crowded than i was expecting. i talked to a few ap holders who said that that week was the most crowded they have seen it ever. i know they offered free dining and room discounts for that time too so i'm sure that had something to do with it. but i also noticed there were A LOT of foreigners and i know the dollar is weaker and the foreigners get great offers and it's cheap for them to come over here. hopefully that's not an indication of how it will be nye but it's disneyworld so i wouldn't hold my breath. but no matter what happens i'm sure it will be awesome to be there for nye, even if you just take it really easy.

minnie04
12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks I will see what happens. Im still holding out on a cabin in TN or NC, but if that doesnt happen Im going to make the best of my Disney vacation no matter what. :mickey: The kids will be happy either way.