PDA

View Full Version : JPL's Festive Holiday Fun Day 1 Part 1

JPL
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
December 11th
Part 1
Travel/AK

I got up around 4 AM and showered and finished up some last minute packing. I called a cab around 5 and headed out to the airport. I arrived at the airpot with plenty of time to spare and grabbed a much needed large coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I arrived at my gate and noticed to my surprise there was no plane waiting for my 7:15 flight. It was already about 6 so I was a little concerned. 6:30 and still no plane and we should be getting ready to board :mad: The display board now says now 7:15 not delayed but instead just like it was a special or something at a store. 7 AM still no plane the board now reads 7:30. This continues until a plane finally shows up around 7:45 and we don't board until almost 8:30 and leave the gate at 9. Needless to say I wasn't happy with the delay. After an unevenntful flight we arrive at MCO around 11:30 and I head straight to DME which has very long lines to my surprise since I never really ever had much of a wait. I finally board a bus and arrive at Pop Century a little after 1 and check-in. My room was ready and it was pouring so I headed to my room and settled in for a little while hoping the rain would stop. I was getting hungry so I headed over to the food court and had some Nachos Supreme for lunch and then headed back to my room to pick up my camera before heading to AK to catch Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade.
When I arrived the AK I took some pictures of the decorations out front and then headed down the Panagani Forest Trail. Since it had just rained the animals were very active and trying to dry off in the afternoon sun. After I finished walking the trail I decided to hop on the Safari since there was no wait. I really thought the animals would be much more active after the rain but they really weren't out so it was rather uneventful until we reached the Lions. Both Lions were actually awake and visible. Our truck just missed getting a great shot of the Male lion facing the road but did get a really nice view of him. After the Safari I grabbed a spot for the parade. I love this parade and I think since you are so close to the action with very few areas that people can actually block your view AK is a great place to watch a parade. I really enjoyed the Christmas overlay to the parade and was glad I took the time out to see it :thumbsup:

Up next a stop at the Grand Floridian and MVMCP.

Pictures coming soon!!

Maleficent's Dad
12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about the airport delay, but it seems like you had a great time once you got to DAK!

I too have noticed an increase in wait time/lines for DME... I wonder if this is a trend.

Thanks for sharing!! :mickey:

wizardmickey
12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Ooooooo he's doing it! Really doing it! A report! In the same month month of the trip!

Egads - I'm starting to sound like Dino!!!

Glad things are getting kicked off - question for ya Figgie: a coworker of Lady Ice's came back recently - she was there during the timeframe we were going to go (12-6 through the 15th) and she said the place was CROWDED!!! I'd noticed the last time we went for the Holidays it was getting more and more crowded as well... is this no longer the "magical down time" that it used to be?

mouseketeer mom
12-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't know if there are anymore "magical down times"..seems like the crowds are consistent anymore! Off to a great start, despite the airline delay!

TinkerbellT421
12-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey jeff sorry to hear about the plane delay. I am a little worried that might happen to us when we have to fly out on the 6th. Hopefully it wont though. But anyway, sounds like a good start though. Staring with the animals over at AK. Lions and tigers and bears oh my! lol. Off to read the next report. Im cracking out on trip reports because I am soooooo anxious to be there right now!!! :mickey:

JPL
12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Definately getting more crowded on Saturday the MK felt like it was the middle of July. But for the most part the crowds were still manageable. I did notice lots of our friends from across the Pond.

ElenitaB
12-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Nothing like plane delays to start your day... but at least you got out! The last time we flew out of Newark it was a no go. :(

Looking forward to hearing about MVMCP.

pdrlkr
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Rough Start!

faline
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I'd much rather have a flight delay on the way home. At least you got there without too long a delay and you're off for Dinsey fun!

chrisb26
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Ooooooo he's doing it! Really doing it! A report! In the same month month of the trip!

Egads - I'm starting to sound like Dino!!

Well lets see how long it takes to finish :D

Great report so far that stinks your plane was delayed like that I would have been very mad also especially if I had to wake up way early to get there only to have to sit and wait forever.

Thumper03
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Besides the flight delay it sounds like a great start JP.

You're setting the bar high...we might actually have to finish a trip report this time.:blush:

We leave Friday morning, and we're driving down. We chose that option because we couldn't get any good $$ flights out, but with the weather it's probably a good thing anyway.:thumbsup:

princessgirls
12-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the great report!
Gee, imagine that a delay out of EWR! Your lucky you left at all...LOL!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Ugh, the delays are frustrating when you're trying so hard to get to Disney, aren't they?

It sounds like you were able to get back on track and enjoy the day, however. Looking forward to reading more adventures with you & your family! :mickey:

Patricia
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Delays seem to be a common occurrence this December.

I'm glad you made it over to Animal Kingdom before the parade started.

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I gotta catch up....thanks for sharing.:mickey: