PDA

View Full Version : Question about Rudolph and Frosty...

IamBelle
12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I was watching the Rudolph special when it was the Island of Misfit toys when I they sang the song. They said what was wrong with all of the toys EXCEPT for the little girl doll. I ask this every year to my family, and we still haven't found an answer. Why is the doll on the island of misfit toys? I see nothing wrong with her.
ALSO, I haven't seen Frosty on this year! We watch it every year and have never missed it! Did it already come on??
Thanks,
IamBelle

Ian
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
For some reason that I don't really remember, I thought the little doll had one eye bigger than the other or something? I might be wrong, though.

chrisb26
12-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I think I found the answer and it comes from an interview with Arthur Rankin who was Rudolph's producer he said "They Dolly's problem was psychological, caused by being abandoned by her mistress and suffering from depression and being unloved."

The article also said how it was never explained in the movie but when Rankin was interviewed he gave that answer.

alphamommy
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I think I found the answer and it comes from an interview with Arthur Rankin who was Rudolph's producer he said "They Dolly's problem was psychological, caused by being abandoned by her mistress and suffering from depression and being unloved."

The article also said how it was never explained in the movie but when Rankin was interviewed he gave that answer.

I can see how this would be hard to explain to a child. I think I would have been happier not knowing myself!

As for Frosty, I haven't noticed it being on yet, either.

IamBelle
12-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, I didn't know about the doll depression, that's kind of dark for a Christmas movie!! :)

kathiep
12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I am so glad you asked this! This annoys me every year. What is wrong with that poor doll? Everything else is so obvious. Every year I obsess over it and my DH is sick of hearing it.

Altair
12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
The name of the doll is Dolly for Sue. King Moonracer flies over the Earth each night looking for unloved toys and brings them back to the Island of Misfit Toys. So Dolly was unloved by her owner Sue and brought to the island. :mickey:

RedSoxFan
12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I believe Frosty was on a couple of weeks ago. I remember seeing it listed; but forgot to watch.

DisneyLandMomma
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I've DVR'd just about every christmas show that's come one so far. I've seen the frosty when he gets a wife and the frosty when that one guy invents the stuff to melt the snow but I haven't seen the original yet. hmm??

As for the Island of Misfit toys, that's so sad. This movie and Toy Story 2 is the reason why my daughter has so many flipping toys. I seriously feel soo bad getting rid of any. haha :blush:

PlutoToo
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes. I saw the regular Frosty this season. I think it was maybe last Monday? I watch it every year and love it.

NJDad
12-22-2008, 05:08 AM
If you google Rudolph and tvparty you can read about the multilple versions of the show and how the doll's part was expanded without figuring out what was misfit about her.

Cinderelley
12-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Okay, I haven't seen Frosty in a long time, but I vaguely remember something about her not being wanted by her owner.

magicman
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Yes, and I believe that King Moonracer brought her to the island of misfit toys to prevent her from climbing to the top of a university clock tower to extract her revenge. :D

Mickey'sGirl
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Wow, I didn't know about the doll depression, that's kind of dark for a Christmas movie!! :)
Isn't all of "Rudolph" kinda disturbing? He's only good enough for EVERYONE including Santa, when he can do something for them. What a horrible message. I much prefer the Grinch. He wears it on his sleeve....

SBETigg
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Isn't all of "Rudolph" kinda disturbing? He's only good enough for EVERYONE including Santa, when he can do something for them. What a horrible message. I much prefer the Grinch. He wears it on his sleeve....

Yes! I enjoy watching, but this always bothers me about the Rudolph show, too. What was Santa thinking? I do love that little dentist and all the misfit toys, though.

I believe Frosty was on really early in the season. I'm not a Frosty fan. I prefer The Year without a Santa Claus, with the Miser Brothers (but not the new Miser Brothers special, that was awful).

goofy for pluto
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I prefer The Year without a Santa Claus, with the Miser Brothers (but not the new Miser Brothers special, that was awful).

Year without a Santa Clause is my DH favorite Christmas special.
My DS and I bought him a VHS tape of it for about $2 when VHS were being phased out.
We watch it every year!!