PDA

View Full Version : Poly - Why all the love?

jakeybake
12-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I just returned from a stay at the Yacht Club (went from 75 degrees all week to a major snow storm here in Boston in 1 day!) and since I was there for a conference and alone I decided to take some time to walk around and see all the resorts and their Christmas decorations.

One of my stops was the Polynesian. I have to tell you, I was not impressed in the least. The decor was dark and dated looking and the main building was way to crazy and congested for my liking. Also, I walked around the grounds and had a chance to peek in at one of the rooms and the decor just didn't seem to fit the price.

I know it's all about personal preference but there is so much love on here for the Poly that I was expecting so much more than what I saw.

I'm a self proclaimed Yacht & Beach Club nut so that may have clouded my view a bit but I also love the Grand Floridian as well so I feel like I'm pretty flexible when it comes to my taste in resorts.

Just my 2 cents!

Jay

A Big Kid
12-20-2008, 10:52 AM
#1) Tonga Toast

#2)Its on the monorail loop

#3) its a short walk to the TTC to get the monorail to EPCOT.

#4) MK fireworks

#4.5) EWP.

Ian
12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
It's just different tastes. I love the Poly, but find the Yacht Club far too stuffy and old fashioned for my liking.

I do like the Beach Club, though.

kathiep
12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I think everyone needs to find the resorts that fits them best. We stayed at the Poly in Sept. My husband has always wanted to stay there. We enjoyed ourselves completely. Loved being on the monorail loop; the walk to TTC was quick; the grounds were beautiful and our room was nice. We have no complaints. But it didn't "fit" us just right. The main building could get crazy especially around meal times with people getting on & off the monorail. And I guess for the price, we were expecting a little bit more.

mom2morgan
12-20-2008, 01:52 PM
my top two favourites!! I loved the decor, the location and the restaurants, but agree it was crazy busy (perhaps an Aloha night?). What I did NOT care for was the Grand Floridian and Beachclub - didn't like the "busy" feel of being close to the boardwalk, or the so rich I feel out of place feeling at the GF. The one I was MOST excited to see was Wilderness Lodge, and you may all laugh but it was a big let down. Why? Because I live in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta and my husband is a log-home builder, and WL didn't feel like I had even left home! It was exactly like what I see every day, but much, much BIGGER, obviously. It didn't feel like Florida, or the south, or vacation :-) My TOP FAVOURITE was AKL - loved the decor, the relative peace and quiet, the unique items in the gift shops....

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-20-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm a self proclaimed Yacht & Beach Club nut so that may have clouded my view a bit but I also love the Grand Floridian as well so I feel like I'm pretty flexible when it comes to my taste in resorts.

Honestly? I find very little difference between GF and YC. I say YC because walking into BC, there are visits from Lilo and Stitch, the diner, the pool, and everything else that it feels more family friendly than the YC.

With YC, I feel very out of place and stuffy, which is the same as the GF. Those are the two I would probably never care to stay at in the least.

DisneyorBust
12-20-2008, 06:12 PM
I love the Polynesian Resort, I would stay there every trip if possible. It is a great get away for us. We have visited the Contemporary, stayed part of one night. (Very bad experience, spent the rest of the trip at the Poly) Stayed for two nights at the GF but never again, I felt like I was spending the night at grandma's house. The decor at both the Yacht and Beach Clubs gave me the same feeling, a bit stuffy and old fashioned. Don't get me wrong, they are all beautiful resorts and I see why some folks prefer them, that's another great thing about WDW, there is a type of resort to fit most people's tastes!

Polynesian Dweller
12-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Its never really been about the Great Ceremonial House or even the decor, though we feel comfortable with both. It is about:

1. sitting on our balcony in the morning with a coffee and looking at MK and the activity on the lagoon.

2. Sitting on our balcony in the evening with a drink and watching Wishes over the castle and then the Electric Water pageant, followed by the lights across the lagoon and the ever changing colors of the castle (its lit all the time).

2. Transportation options that are more numerous than any other resort. Monorail and boat to MK, monorail to Epcot, bus service to all other spots.

3. The ambiance of the grounds, the palms and beach and the sense of relaxation of the place.

It works for us, what else is to be said.

PetefromRI
12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I have to agree with Polynesian Dweller.When we stay there it almost feels as if we never leave the MK and we find the grounds to be very relaxing.If I could afford it ,we would stay there every trip.

Dsnygirl
12-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Funny, I've thought the same thing about the rooms and people's love of staying there -- but I have to say I love the main house and it's lush decor -- it's so beautiful to us, and we love hanging out there while we wait to be seated for 'Ohana or Kona.

We're CBR lovers, so I can't even comment on the whole deluxe thing -- but I do find the grounds to be beautiful, and maybe one day, we'll try a room. :papple: :lei:

IloveDisney71
12-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Its never really been about the Great Ceremonial House or even the decor, though we feel comfortable with both. It is about:

1. sitting on our balcony in the morning with a coffee and looking at MK and the activity on the lagoon.

2. Sitting on our balcony in the evening with a drink and watching Wishes over the castle and then the Electric Water pageant, followed by the lights across the lagoon and the ever changing colors of the castle (its lit all the time).

2. Transportation options that are more numerous than any other resort. Monorail and boat to MK, monorail to Epcot, bus service to all other spots.

3. The ambiance of the grounds, the palms and beach and the sense of relaxation of the place.

I totally agree! This would be my first choice if price wasn't an issue. We loved every minute of our stay!:thumbsup:

cardinalsfan_98
12-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I find it amazing that with all the Long Houses and total number of rooms (853), you rarely have problems with people traffic. It's so spaced out, its gives you the feeling you are there by yourself.

Also, the location doesn't hurt either!

KatMark
12-21-2008, 10:04 PM
It's just a matter of personal preference. We dislike the GF (my husband will not even walk in it to shop) and the Yacht & Beach Club (although we do go there to eat) and we don't care for the WL. However, we love the Poly--just not the price tag. Therefore, we stay at our favorite resort, CSR, as it has everything we want and at a price we can afford.

OogieBoogieMan
12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
It reminds me of the beginning of WDW. I went for the first time in 1973, I was five at the time and we actually stayed offsite but it clearly made an impression though because here I am still going 35 years later. At any rate, Poly is original Disney and I think that holds an attraction for some people.

Personally, I love the theme, especially the torches that light the paths at night. I also think the transportation can't be beat. Monorail to the MK or Epcot plus a boat to MK and easy access to TTC. We are partial to Epcot and therefore usually end up in that resort area (at least until we bought our house in Kissimmee) but if you are doing all the parks, Poly is hard to beat.

Diz-Knee
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
It reminds me of the beginning of WDW. I went for the first time in 1973, I was five at the time and we actually stayed offsite but it clearly made an impression though because here I am still going 35 years later. At any rate, Poly is original Disney and I think that holds an attraction for some people.

This is the reason for me - it's one of the original resorts and it is casual and romantic. It makes me think of Walt Disney himself and Adventureland in the MK - I feel like it is an extension of the Magic Kingdom. I really like the South Seas theme. It was also where I had dinner my first night at WDW and just holds a special place in my heart.

Disney Doll
12-22-2008, 04:11 PM

That was going to be my thought as well. I bet the nostalgia factor plays a part in many Disney vacations and that would make sense at the Poly.

mouseketeer mom
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Polynesian Dweller, I am with you 100%. So is my family. When we arrive at the Polynesian, I can physically feel my body saying "aaaah"..This is our home away from home. A place that simply fits for us. Thats why we keep going back. We never got that feeling anywhere else on Disney property.

Maleficent's Dad
12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
To the OP - I'm in agreement with you - I always scratch my head and wonder why the Poly has such a HUGE following... But alas, look at what Disney is charging their "guests" to stay at the Polynesian Resort. :unsure:

I "get it" that the Poly is a "Disney original," but I agree with your original post about the Great Ceremonial House and the layout.

Don't get me wrong, they are all beautiful resorts and I see why some folks prefer them, that's another great thing about WDW, there is a type of resort to fit most people's tastes!
:yes:
Great Quote!!!
Disney has done a fabulous job - under the direction of Eisner - in creating resorts that fit the needs of their consumers based on what they want and what they can afford. We have stayed at the Poly. And while we do appreciate the location and the *great* transportation options at the Poly, it is still not our favorite

Like it's stated above, it really just comes down to personal preference! :mickey:

jrkcr
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
"The one I was MOST excited to see was Wilderness Lodge, and you may all laugh but it was a big let down. Why? Because I live in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta and my husband is a log-home builder, and WL didn't feel like I had even left home" (mom2morgan)

I have this same problem now with CSR. We have always loved it. But it really hit me the day we checked in and were walking up to our room-Now that we live in Reno, CSR looks like our local grocery store here!! (and every other house and building) I even said that to my kids and we had a good laugh about it. But it's kinda sad that it doesn't have that unique style for me anymore. :(

But, all the more reason to upgrade to a deluxe! ;)

tinksmom02
12-29-2008, 08:15 PM

These are the reasons why Poly is my dream resort.

kemps@wdw
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Although, we now call the WL our "Disney home", in the earlier days, the Poly was the bomb for us! Price having alot to do with the change, we still go over to the Poly sometimes to eat, or just visit. To walk into the lobby, close my eyes, and take a deep breath...the sounds and scents are a wonderful reminder of our many years @ WDW!:cloud9:

Figment78
12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Nostalgia definitely plays a part. Speaking strictly objectively, many people will cite the convenience of the Epcot monorail as the thing that pushes the Poly over the top. But it's often the nostalgia that has us Poly fans returning time and time again.

The Poly was my first trip, and second, and third, etc when I was little, and so it always brings back that feeling of childhood happiness.

Likewise, DH and I stayed at the WL for the first time on our honeymoon, so now WL has a special place in my heart as well.

Recently, we stayed at the Boardwalk, and I actually found myself thinking back to my childhood trips to the Jersey shore and the nights spent playing games on the boardwalk. Again - more nostalgia.

Transporting you to another time/place - that's the beauty of disney storytelling....

Coach48
12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Seems like everybody beat me to the punch.All the reasons that were posted are why the Poly has bcome the only place for us.As a family of 5,the proximity of the monorail(TTC or GCH)is key for us,because we're still pushing strollers.The ferry to the MK is a nice change and also easy access for strollers.We love the grounds,the Electric Water Paegeant,fireworks at MK and just sitting on the balcony listening to the sounds of WDW.One of the most recognizable sounds for me is the ferryboat whistle as it approaches the dock.The Poly just feels like home.

lockedoutlogic
12-31-2008, 11:32 PM
It is a subliminal nod to disney nostalgia that keeps the level of love high for the poly....

it's been there for almost 40 years.....many more people have passed through thatn say the boardwalk or yacht club....

But in the end....it was a design that was approved and worked on by Walt Disney himself until his death in 1966....
Than means that it was one of only 2 hotel designs that Disney put his touches on (the disneyland hotel was purchased....not disney built)....

that gives it a special place in the subconscious of disney goers....

It is a nice resort in a great location.....but i would say that the inordinate amount of love is due to the spectre of disney in it's walls.....

for all we think of disney as being this juggernaught in vacation destinations.....only a few actually every had walt disney's eyes upon them in any capacity....

the poly and contemp are in a select group

Polynesian Dweller
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
It is a nice resort in a great location.....but i would say that the inordinate amount of love is due to the spectre of disney in it's walls.....

for all we think of disney as being this juggernaught in vacation destinations.....only a few actually every had walt disney's eyes upon them in any capacity....

the poly and contemp are in a select group
Actually, I didn't know that he had anything to do with it. Knowing that just adds to my love of the place, but the love is based on the intangibles of the place that give it a fabulous relaxed feeling like no other. Maybe that is because Walt helped design it, he was good at what he did.:mickey:

thejens
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I always wondered about all the Poly love too. I chalked it up to location and nostalgia. When my Mom needed to stay at the most accessible resort we chose (despite my lack of enthusiasm) to stay there last trip. We loved it. It really was for all the reasons previously listed. I still think the GCH is tacky and needs updating. But hopping back and forth to MK in minutes, keeping the castle always in view, enjoying pina colodas poolside, watching the kids swim and watching Wishes! Amazing. We really enjoyed the lush grounds and winding paths (fortunately Mom had a scooter.) We fell in love with it. Stylistically I still love Beach Club and AKL, but I must admit, the Poly crept into my heart.