PDA

View Full Version : Waitlist problems?

epceddie
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
We're 15 days out and we still haven't heard anything about the 2BR at OKW that we're waiting on for Jan 4-9.

Anyone else out there still waiting? I know there isn't a slow season at WDW anymore, but is this typical for early January?

Does the marathon impact the resorts THAT much?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

gwfx1031
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
We tried to book for the 10th through the 14th and were told that due to the marathon that weekend that it was a little busier than normal. Maybe you are experiencing some of that with your dates.

Ian
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I definitely think the marathon affects attendance quite a bit, but even with that I'm sort of surprised you can't get a 2BR at OKW during that time frame.

That's actually sort of scary.

Aurora
12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I would definitely call. It's possible that the marathon is affecting one or two of your dates, but maybe not the whole thing. In any case, it's best to check.

TinkerbellT421
12-20-2008, 01:20 AM
I dont really know, but I do know that we have been on the wait list since or reservations were made in April for Boardwalk, and we couldnt get Boardwalk View because there was one day right dab in the middle that wasnt available.....we've been waiting ever since....just called back the other day to make sure they keep us on the waitlist till the ten day mark...So for now unless it can change when we get there we will have garden/pool view...:thumbsup: Either way Im just happy its my first DVC stay.

I have heard that the Marathon affects reservations enough....but I dont really know

dlpmikki
12-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Have you tried any of the other properties? I would be astonished if there wasn't availability at Saratoga.

Ian
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
We were waitlisted for our last trip (1st week in December) at BWV, BCV, and VWL for a 1BR and none of them ever came through for us.

And we put our names on the waitlist right at the 7 month window, too. Looks like successful waitlisting may be a thing of the past.

TinkerbellT421
12-20-2008, 02:13 PM
We were waitlisted for our last trip (1st week in December) at BWV, BCV, and VWL for a 1BR and none of them ever came through for us.

And we put our names on the waitlist right at the 7 month window, too. Looks like successful waitlisting may be a thing of the past.

yea, I guess atleast we got the 1BR, we originally had a 2BR but then our friend broke up with his girlfriend and mushed the whole thing up on us so we had to call back after the 7 month window to change it to a 1BR, we were able to get it atleast though which was huge! WE have been waitlisted since for the BW view...I still have my fingers crossed but its not looking too good. Imagine one single day dab in the middle of our trip is what is stopping us from getting it! So frustrating. I think your right though it seems like its getting a little more difficult to get what you want when you want it. But I am just glad that I am finally and DVCer! :cloud9:

Maleficent's Dad
12-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Looks like successful waitlisting may be a thing of the past.
How true, Ian, how sad, but true. :(
We've all seen this coming now for a while...

I just wish DVC would stop selling themselves as "buy at one, stay at all." (And before anyone lambastes me on that one, I know you CAN stay everywhere, but it is more difficult than ever!)

JMTStone
12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
No Lambasting here Frank (wouldn't even begin to know how)

I agree, it was sold as buy at one stay at all. There was no mention of waitlisting.

Hope your waitlist comes through, and to all a good night.

epceddie
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks to all.

We're now about 10 days out and still no word.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little ticked off about the situation. OKW is our home resort and I have no idea how hard Disney is working to meet our request for a 2BR.

On our last trip in October, our waitlist came through for a studio at Saratoga Springs. I asked for a water view and got a room that looked toward one of the leisure pools, with a sliver of water showing through the bushes.

I paid close to $11,000 for my DVC timeshare. I know there are a lot of members, but the thought of non-members staying in a 2BR during my stay makes me shake my head and wonder about what's really going on.

MinnieMommie
12-26-2008, 07:56 AM
In my experience the marathon does effect crowds and room availability. We were at SSR one New Year's Eve (and the week following) and the crowds at the resort and parks were fierce. As the marathon approached the resort became even more crowded. We were told this was due to the marathon.

I know they say calling DVC does not help but there have been several times when I have called to check on my waitlist status and have been told that rooms became available while we were speaking. Talk about Magic!

One other thought. If you can be flexible with your room type request you may consider requesting a 1BR and a studio or 2 studios in lieu of the 2BR.

I hope this works out for you. :mickey:

dteed
12-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Call, last time I waitlisted I called back inside the 30 day window and they said what I wanted was now available. Your name comes off the list at 30 days, or something like that.

epceddie
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the help.

epceddie
12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Checked with member services yesterday and they have rooms available at OKW and SSR for Jan. 5, 6 and 7.
That was good to hear, but we'll be there from Jan. 4-9 and would prefer not to break things up in the middle of our trip.
We'll just have to be happy with our 1BR. I just wish the two Disney rookies who will be with us didn't have to sleep on a pullout couch.

lockedoutlogic
12-27-2008, 10:42 AM
People aren't getting their wait
lists? How can this be?

I wouldn't think that would be possible....as all DVC locations are "just as nice" and therefore the demand should be distributed equally across the board....

oh well...must be a technical glitch:thumbsup:

(come on now......perhaps if it wasn't so easy to finger the problem....then i'd stop pointing it out at every turn)

MinnieMommie
12-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Checked with member services yesterday and they have rooms available at OKW and SSR for Jan. 5, 6 and 7.
That was good to hear, but we'll be there from Jan. 4-9 and would prefer not to break things up in the middle of our trip.
We'll just have to be happy with our 1BR. I just wish the two Disney rookies who will be with us didn't have to sleep on a pullout couch.

Call as frequently as you are able. You never know what they will find while on the phone with you. Since you already have the 1BR a studio will work for the two Disney rookies if you can't get a 2BR. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :mickey:

epceddie
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks MinnieMommie!

Dsnygirl
12-30-2008, 03:49 AM

Ian, what did you do if your waitlist didn't come through? I'm curious about this, b/c Dan and I are still thinking about DVC, but I'm hearing such issues w/ people being waitlisted for their home resort and not getting it... makes me wonder if it's worth it? What do you do if your waitlist doesn't happen???

DVC Mike
12-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Ian, what did you do if your waitlist didn't come through? I'm curious about this, b/c Dan and I are still thinking about DVC, but I'm hearing such issues w/ people being waitlisted for their home resort and not getting it... makes me wonder if it's worth it? What do you do if your waitlist doesn't happen???

As long as you book early, you should always get your home resort. People typically are waitlisting for other resorts, which they don't own points at. Since owners get the first pickin's, non-owners get what is left over.

Ian
12-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Ian, what did you do if your waitlist didn't come through? I'm curious about this, b/c Dan and I are still thinking about DVC, but I'm hearing such issues w/ people being waitlisted for their home resort and not getting it... makes me wonder if it's worth it? What do you do if your waitlist doesn't happen???No, no .. we had a ressie at SSR already. We just waitlisted at the 7 month window to try and stay someplace new.

DW has never stayed at BWV or BCV, so we were hoping to get in her somewhere she's never been. It didn't work out, but we still had our reservation at SSR.

DizneyRox
12-30-2008, 10:43 AM
People typically are waitlisting for other resorts, which they don't own points at. Since owners get the first pickin's, non-owners get what is left over.Yes, as it should be... However DVC is selling itself, people need to understand that you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY! I can't say this loud enough.

The rules around booking are there for a reason, 11 months at your home resort (using home resort points) and 7 months elsewhere, of course based on availability.

I would not expect to get a room even at my home resort after the 7 month window, which is why I plan WAY in advance. Unless I want to stay at SSR, I know there will be availability there.

Anyone who needs a place to stay must make arrangements at your home resort and waitlist for an alternate.

Those that have ownership interest in multiple resorts need to start planning for a time where they will need to split stays during every vacation. I think it's going to be inevitable.

Sadly, these problems are going to escalate as DVC grows. Unfortunately, Disney is still within it's right to say you can stay anywhere, because technically, you can. I can win the lottery, I can be the President, etc, etc, etc...

DVC Mike
12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, as it should be... However DVC is selling itself, people need to understand that you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY! I can't say this loud enough.

Sadly, these problems are going to escalate as DVC grows. Unfortunately, Disney is still within it's right to say you can stay anywhere, because technically, you can. I can win the lottery, I can be the President, etc, etc, etc...

I know lots of people who have been able to book non-home resorts without having to waitlist. You just need to recognize that the "popular" DVC resorts will be in demand and harder to book, especially during that resort's peak times.

However, it is possible to book even the smallest DVC resorts (such as VWL and BCV) during off-season.

lockedoutlogic
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes...yes....."buy where you want"

Must we go back to this two sided argument again?

And it is completely two sided.
The side being advocated is buying at a more desirable new location....which is completely valid....but that is only half position....
The other half is to buy a resale at a location that has been sold out for somewhere between 5 and 10 years and get the remaining portion of the initial contract...now 5 or 10 years old.....and paying somewhere in the area of 30-100% more than the initial purchase cost....

My point is that the argument is two sided....but it is always dangerous....particularly when people look here as an information source....to not point out ALL the facts.

DizneyRox
12-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Yes...yes....."buy where you want"

Must we go back to this two sided argument again?

And it is completely two sided.
The side being advocated is buying at a more desirable new location....which is completely valid....but that is only half position....
The other half is to buy a resale at a location that has been sold out for somewhere between 5 and 10 years and get the remaining portion of the initial contract...now 5 or 10 years old.....and paying somewhere in the area of 30-100% more than the initial purchase cost....

My point is that the argument is two sided....but it is always dangerous....particularly when people look here as an information source....to not point out ALL the facts.
Yeah, the problem is, the topic here is waitlisting to get into the resort they WANT to stay at. I havne't heard anyone complaining that they only have x number of years left on their contract, or they paid more than the points originally went for, etc...

This thread is about complaining that people can't stay where they want. In that case, BUY where you want [to stay]. The next time I see a thread about "I want DVC to last as long as possible, what should I do", I'll tell them to buy at the current DVC offering.

lockedoutlogic
12-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, the problem is, the topic here is waitlisting to get into the resort they WANT to stay at. I havne't heard anyone complaining that they only have x number of years left on their contract, or they paid more than the points originally went for, etc...

This thread is about complaining that people can't stay where they want. In that case, BUY where you want [to stay]. The next time I see a thread about "I want DVC to last as long as possible, what should I do", I'll tell them to buy at the current DVC offering.

that is very shortsighted.....

to ignore that you are purchasing a product at a diminished return is not something to scoff at....in MY OPINION

see...that's just it....it's our opinions.....you have yours....i have mine....

we agree on many of the finer points......
but again....to simply say "just buy where you want"...can be misleading...

that is my point...i'm not attempting to negate the validity of your suggestion, I just wish we would have more two sided give and take discussions....not short outbursts of opinion presented as truth

Simba's Mom
01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks to all.

We're now about 10 days out and still no word.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little ticked off about the situation. OKW is our home resort and I have no idea how hard Disney is working to meet our request for a 2BR.

On our last trip in October, our waitlist came through for a studio at Saratoga Springs. I asked for a water view and got a room that looked toward one of the leisure pools, with a sliver of water showing through the bushes.

I paid close to $11,000 for my DVC timeshare. I know there are a lot of members, but the thought of non-members staying in a 2BR during my stay makes me shake my head and wonder about what's really going on.

Don't give up hoping! On my last solo trip to BCV, my waitist came thru 8 days beforehand. On our Thanksgiving trip to HHI, our waitlist for the last night for a 1 BR came thru while we were there (we were supposed to move the last night to a 2 BR, what a relief!)

dlpmikki
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
that is very shortsighted.....

to ignore that you are purchasing a product at a diminished return is not something to scoff at....in MY OPINION

see...that's just it....it's our opinions.....you have yours....i have mine....

we agree on many of the finer points......
but again....to simply say "just buy where you want"...can be misleading...

that is my point...i'm not attempting to negate the validity of your suggestion, I just wish we would have more two sided give and take discussions....not short outbursts of opinion presented as truth

There is plenty of opportunity for two sided discussion - we have the pros and cons topics for just that. The idea is to keep off topic arguments from clogging up other topic questions. That clogging is what you have been doing in this one so please keep on topic in future or posts will be edited accordingly.