PDA

View Full Version : Adults with ADHD -- need help (please)

tracibell
12-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Does anyone on this board have experience with adult ADHD? I have been diagnosed with it this week and am at odds with myself. It explains so much but I guess I'm not really sure what to do next. I have started taking Adderall but I'm not sure how to judge whether it is helping me or not so I can tell my therapist on the 30th. I've ordered a couple of books from Amazon but I am hoping someone might have some advice or insight to help me.

I really hope the meds, therapy, and books help me because I've become so frustrated with my job. During these hard times I really don't want to give my employer a reason to choose me as one of the 1,100 people being laid off at my company. My self esteem is pretty low, which I guess is a common thing with an adult with ADD, so I beat myself up over things quite a bit.

On the bright side, I have made a great accomplishment this year. I found out yesterday that I passed my final section of the CPA exam. It has been extremely time consuming and difficult for me to find the focus to get through this exam but I am so proud of myself for making it. I just would not let myself give up. That is one thing I can say about myself ... I am not a quitter no matter how tough it is. :)

Thank you for any responses.

dolphinmickey9170
12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Tracibell, you are not alone in this. I also suffer from ADHD. I tried the Adderall, no luck. I felt worse on it than when I took nothing. So, I am not medicated. I have the same self esteem issues that you talk about. I am so hard on myself for the silliest things. I am also a perfectionist when it comes to my work and school. They call me the OCD queen at work, as well as the "chart Nazi" because I am so tough on my nurses to be sure their charting is exactly correct.

My one suggestion would be to be extremely careful on Adderall, it does have some possible side effects that can cause heart issues, so be sure you have a clean bill of health in that area. My daughter, who is 17, also takes Adderall and has for years and it truly works for her. She is able to stay focused, I however, felt like I was losing my mind when I took it. I couldn't complete tasks, I would get scatterbrained, I was easily rattled. I actually am able to control my ADHD most of the time just by working. Now, when it comes to studying, forget it, if I am in any type of social situation (such as people around), I cannot focus at all. The slightest distraction, and I am following them. Even in the library on campus, I get distracted by the tiniest things. Just someone shuffling their feet at another table.

Stay strong, keep up the therapy and good luck on the meds. There are other options if those meds don't work for you. Just talk with your doctor.

Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to eat. These medications sometimes have a side effect of "forgetting to eat," which in my case wouldn't be so bad as I could stand to lose about 50lbs. If you already a small, thin person, be extra careful, you will fade away.;) We also tried Concerta, there was no sleeping and the weight loss of my daughter was unhealthy. We never tried Ritalin, by my nephew takes it and it actually helped him, however, my sister wouldn't give it to him on the weekends, she felt he didn't need it, and that put him on a rollercoaster come Saturday night and then again on Monday.

The Maine school system that my daughter and nephew went to couldn't handle either one of them, so my daughter lives here in Maryland where I home schooled her and my nephew managed to get through, but it has been a long, uphill battle.

Please PM me if you have any other questions.

Take care and good luck!

Donald
12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
My nephew suffers from ADHD and is currently on the Ritilin patch. Luckily, he has been able to greatly reduce the dosage since he found out he has some food allergies (he is not so "manic" any more). He has a gluten (wheat) and cassein (dairy) allergy. I have also heard of some people having allergies to food dies, and when discontinuing, the ADHD has improved. Good luck!

Piglet822
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Having the diagnosis is half the battle. At least now you know what you're dealing with and can take a proactive approach - it's not easy and I'm sending plenty of :pixie: for you to help you through :hug:
I do have a question about the Adderall, I did not think they prescribed it to adults because it's an amphetamine and acts different in adults than it does in children. I used to have to hide my son's Adderall from my ex because he would take it for the "high" that he got.
Remember you always have us here for support :grouphug:

handmaidenofprincesses
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I also have ADHD. My advice would be this: don't let it become an excuse. I know a few people at school who are now on academic probation because of this. One of my friends in particular, uses her a ADHD like a golden pass not to work. It's not laziness so much as she has this belief that she can't do it. Don't let those kind of beliefs take hold. ADHD has its drawbacks to be sure, but it can also be helpful. I see the world differently than a lot of people, and heaven knows life is funnier!

ADHD makes life harder, but it makes life's achievements more worthwhile as well. It's much more satisfying to me to be able to say that I made the Dean's List the past 3 semesters in a row despite my ADHD than if I had "just" made the Dean's List (not to take away from anyone who is on the DL w/o ADHD).

So my advice is this: fight it, but not too hard. You can do it. Monitor your meds (Allergic reactions can be serious) and don't skip them (you'll probably be quite sick if you do).

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk!

pixiesmimi
12-19-2008, 10:40 PM
My cousin (50's) found out she was ADHD when she took her son to be diagnosed. The doctor also diagnosed her. She said she couldn't tell the difference when she was on medication vs not on but her family could and her children would beg her to stay on her medication.

My DGS is ADHD and has been on all of the medication. The last one he took was Concerta which seemed to be the best one for him. Adderall made him have violent tendencies so be careful with the side effects. Each person reacts differently. We were on a roller coaster with him for several years trying to find the right medication. He also had to take something to help him sleep at night but I can't remember the name. When he was a junior in high school, he came off all of his medication and seems to be doing well except his grades have fallen. His confidence is way up now though and he is beginning to get a social life which he never had before. He has a job after school and this seems to be the best thing for him because the schedule keeps him focused. I do get frustrated with him not completing tasks or remembering dates, etc. and homework assignments but don't know if that is the ADHD or him just being a teenager. :) Good luck! You can do it! Look at all the celebraties that have announced they are ADHD and succeed quiet well with what they do. Some even say they wouldn't have it any other way.

Piglet822
12-20-2008, 10:14 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, when my son was first diagnosed I did a lot of research on the Internet and found lots of wonderful sites chock full of information.
One site I found listed a bunch of famous people with ADHD (or had ADHD tendencies)and one of them was Walt Disney so you're in very good company :thumbsup:

Tink2002
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Dolphinmickey brings up a great point that you need to find situations and schools, etc. that work best for the individual... I'd caution against emphasizng that it was a Maine school system, however, as I know many that follow different theories and guidelines of practice... I actually just had a practicum course in early childhood ed at Univ. of ME and learned all sorts of wonderful things about more DAP (developmentally appropriate practice) centered curriculum versus an academic program. It's just about finding what works! ;)

tracibell
12-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you for all of your posts. Seeing all of your support definitely made me feel like I wasn't alone. Thank you so much... you are all very appreciated.

I am continuing to take the Adderall. It has definitely depleted my appetite. I am one of those people that nibble on things throughout the day... now I have to remind myself that it is lunch time. I think it might be helping though.

As I said, I can't thank all of you enough. I was feeling really down and your posts brought my spirits up tremendously. Thank you.

dolphinmickey9170
12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Dolphinmickey brings up a great point that you need to find situations and schools, etc. that work best for the individual... I'd caution against emphasizng that it was a Maine school system, however, as I know many that follow different theories and guidelines of practice... I actually just had a practicum course in early childhood ed at Univ. of ME and learned all sorts of wonderful things about more DAP (developmentally appropriate practice) centered curriculum versus an academic program. It's just about finding what works! ;)

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was born and raised in Maine and graduated from my own local high school, however, they just didn't understand those types of issues so many years ago. My DD just couldn't handle the main stream of regular classrooms, we found this out in the second grade, she would be a senior now. Several other kids in her class were the same as well as my nephew. They ended up in an alternative education environment. This was 4 years ago. Maybe things are changing....hopefully for the better. As the new wave of teachers graduates and gets out in the work force, there should be a better "dealing with it" attitude from these new teachers!! I admire anyone who is a teacher, because there is no way I would have the patience to do it.