PDA

View Full Version : Ohana's Dinner or Character Breakfast?

asrai555
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Fair warning my boy loves Stich. My daughter does too, but the boy especially. Now I have seen Stich a few times in AK, but you never know where and when those willie characters are going to show up so I have no guarantees he will see the character unless we go to bfast at Ohana's.

So the question is, I have heard the dinner at Ohana's is really fun for kids, no characters but a good time and the foods is quite tasty. My kids will be 6 and 4 at the time of travel so would this be a good fit for them? I mean they can't really hoola hoop which is one of the things I read that they do. On the brightside it could be perfect to go to MK and end the night at Ohana's with an early dinner.

On the flipside, maybe the character breakfast is worth it? We are staying at AKL my only concern would be what time we would get to the breakfast etc. I dont' want to wake the kids at the crack of dawn but I don't want to be strolling into MK at 11am either kwim?

We are using the DDP+ so I have TS credits to use. Thanks in advance for any insights.

tink179
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
My family and I have not had breakfast there, but we did do dinner there Jan 08'. We will be doing it again this Jan! :thumbsup: The food is incredible! My kids didn't hula hoop, that had a coconut race. They were given little brooms and had to push the coconuts around the restaurant! :mickey: They loved that. They also had a woman there do hula dancing, and then the kids were able to get up and learn to hula as well and were given lei's and lei's to give to their family. My kids were 7, 4, and 2. I'm sure breakfast would be great for meeting stitch and with the dinner being so wonderful I bet breakfast would be great too!! I think you can't lose either way. :thumbsup:

offwego
12-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Stich is pretty regular at the AK park if that helps. (normally near pizzafari in fact)
Getting to the poly from AKL would be a bit of a trick (unless your willing to consider a cab) as you'd need to take the bus to MK, transfer to the monorail and take it there. (Not difficult but depending on the time frame you'd need to add on an extra 20 minutes for the monorail loop vs just getting to the park)

I've done both and the breakfast is one of my faves as it's family style which means they bring it to you. (however the selection clearly is not as broad as a buffet would be of course).
The food at dinner however is a very good value with lots of variety and again not needing to line up appeals to me. (as a family of three lining up always seems to mean little time together eating somehow..could be the teenager however)
Bottom line if I have to pick a breakfast it's high on my list but I'd pick Crystal Palace for the transportation ease..the dinner is a frequent must do for us.

mouseketeer mom
12-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Ohana's is a top of the list favorite for us. Usually twice each trip. Dinner is so very much fun. The hula lessons for the kids, the coconut races, the positive energy, the amazing food. Everyone always has a good time..Breakfast is wonderful too, and if your little guy loves Stitch, this may be the way to go for you. They still do activities in the morning with the kids, I think it was the conga line with maracas or something like that, and Stitch and all of the characters take part in that too. Your little guy won't be smitten with Stitch forever...this way you know you'll see him, and don't have to go looking for him, its a guarentee.

asrai555
12-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah the transportation thing is tricky, but either way I would schedule it on a day we were planning on being at MK.

What times do the games at dinner start does anyone know?

I would like to do an early dinner I think. An ideal day would be lounging by the pool, heading to MK at 1ish, leaving the park about 5:30 and having dinner at 6. I could have the kids back to the hotel by 8:30 - 9:00 this way I think.

asrai555
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Ooooo Mousekateer Mom I didn't know they did fun stuff in the morning too.

What do they serve in the family style b-fast? We don't eat pork so I have to make sure there are some good options for us. I know that kinda throws a loop in the dinner thing too....don't they serve chicken and beef also at dinner?

dolphinmickey9170
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Ooooo Mousekateer Mom I didn't know they did fun stuff in the morning too.

What do they serve in the family style b-fast? We don't eat pork so I have to make sure there are some good options for us. I know that kinda throws a loop in the dinner thing too....don't they serve chicken and beef also at dinner?

Thy not both? If you have the credits, do it. We do both, and have a blast everytime.

The breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes wedges, biscuits, and sticky buns. They have juices, milk and coffee as well. We closed the place down for breakfast last year, and when they ran out of the regular coffee, they brought us the kona coffee.. YUM!!

For dinner, they serve pork, beef, turkey and shrimp on the swekers, as well as a noodle dish, the most amazing chicken wings, veggies and THE best bread pudding in the world, (btw, I hate bread pudding, but their's-I just can't stop eating it). The music is fun and the conga line is fun, the kids have a blast shaking their maracas!!

Have fun at both!!

Belle_0717
12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
DH and I took our DNephew - age 2 - to the breakfast at O'hana. We stayed at SSR and were ready for the first bus pick up.

When we finally got to the Poly, we arrived just in time for our ADR (there was a slight mishap in at the bus stop at SSR - DN fell and scrapped his knee, didn't want to go on the bus without his mom, etc). We were seated around 8:55 (our ADR was 8:30).

As we walked into the restaurant, DH and DN got to be part of the parade and they marched proudly. The food came out promptly and it was well accepted by all of us. The characters came by and spent a lot of time trying to get DN to pose with them - he was a little shy with them but after the first two he was ready to see them all again.

I would go for a 8:30 or 9 am seating - the food was fresh and they were not rushing guests either. If you aim to get a 7 am bus, you should have plenty of time to make the ADR.

My family was not happy with me this trip. I planned 3 breakfasts - CM, CP and O'hana. CM was at 8:15 am, CP was at 9:15 (which they waited until almost the 20 min cut off to seat us) and 8:30 for O'hana. They only slept in 2 days and never want to go for Character Breakfasts with me again. (My theory is to get the first seating or as early as possible. You will get fresh food and the characters don't have as many tables yet to visit so they take their time with guests. This was not true at 1900 Park Fare in March - I must be the only one who did not like the experience. The food was so-so and the "live" characters did not like socializing with us BIG kids.)

Go for breakfast and you won't be disappointed. Dinner is great too but we love the characters!

dmosher
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
DW and I am big Stitch fans and we did the breakfast this year for the first time. It was great! Despite being busy (make your reservations!) we had lots of quality character time with Stitch and company. The food was very good and our server was amazing. We never asked for a thing, it was just there. Plenty of food to go around and since we can't get buttermilk biscuits here (in New Zealand), she kept bringing them until we were SOOOO FULL!

Definitely go to the breakfast for more 1 on 1 character time and a great meal to start your day.
:pipes:
D

mom2morgan
12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
we had a great dinner at O'Hana's but I did NOT see any games taking place for the kids. Mind you...we were in a nice quiet back corner, and were all pretty zoned...

DisneyFr33k
12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Dinner for sure. :thumbsup:

We ate there two trips ago and LOVED it. When trying to get ressies for our last trip this past October, they were booked! We'll definitely go there again! The kids had a great time with the coconut races, limbo etc and we LOVED the food!

Cheloconnell
12-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I have to say, out of the multitude of times we have visited all of the character dining offers, Ohana's is the best place to spend time with Stitch. Our little one was playing shy with Stitch and he knelt down beside him playing games, tickling him, bear hugging him etc. My son never laughed so hard. I got some great pictures. I have never seen the characters spend so much time with a child, but they were great there. I definitely recommend the Ohana breakfast if your child is a big Stitch fan :mickey:

asrai555
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
is lilo at breakfast too?

stitchaholic
12-24-2008, 05:34 AM
yes,lilo too,she is a blast and also great with the kids,my kids did some floor surfing with her,not only that,but some of the others like goofy,mickey and pluto come and they give out some instruments to the kids and they all have a parade(kids included) around the restaurant.
it is alot of fun and the food was great,especially the pineapple bread!

buzznwoodysmom
12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Ohana's is a must do for dinner for my family on every trip. We would be so upset if we couldn't get a dinner ADR during a trip. However, it is also our favorite character breakfast. We have had great character interaction everytime we've done this breakfast. Normally we do both during our trips, but if I had to pick one we'd most definitely pick dinner. Please keep in mind that the characters are subject to change or not be there on any given day. While stitch has been there everytime we had breakfast at Ohana's, Lilo was only there once. She is lots of fun, as is Stitch. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Breakfast, hands down. Did it several times and always enjoyed it.:thumbsup:

Ohana's we did once and didn't ever have the desire to do it again.