PDA

View Full Version : GPS in WDW?

wjrhw
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I just got a Garmin Nuvi for my birthday and I was just wondering if anyone uses any of these type of devices around WDW. I'm thinking it may be convenient when driving around property.

Does anyone have any experience with these at WDW? Please share.

Polynesian Dweller
12-18-2008, 04:43 PM
We've used ours at times and it has found a few routes that are actually a bit quicker than the ones that the Disney signs would indicate. It depends on where you are headed and where from but our Garmin has found better routes to/from DTD, AK and the Poly and between AK and DTD.

Should add, that now that we have become familiar with almost all public (guset access allowed) roads we don't use it much. It was helpful though as we were learning them.

Just a bit of a warning though, the GPS will at times try to send you down CM only roads so be aware and simply pass by them and the GPS will correct the route.

btharvey
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I'll second the notion that the GPS is good ... to a point. Our Garmin brought us from Maryland to the Fort Wilderness Campground beautifully ... except that it brought us in the back way, where you can book your dogs for the vacation, but not where you can check in. :oops: The vets told us that all the GPSs do that (they guessed, in fact), because most of the people they get in the office are people like us, looking for the correct entrance.

In general, the signs will take you where you need to go. In fact, they're the way that Disney would like you to go, for whatever reason. I'd probably follow the signs, as I will next time.

Jasper
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
We have never found them to be of much use at WDW. Of course, I also have to admit that I am much better with a map than I am with the GPS.

I won't say I have a photographic memory, but when I look at a map of an area like WDW I can remember for at least the next year or so, all the details of where things are located and what roads are available, etc. What that means is that if I am standing in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and want to get to Epcot, I can tell you all the streets, all the bus routes, all the monorail routes, etc. that you can use to get there without again having to consult a map.

Because of this memory ability the only thing a GPS really does for me is when I am in heavy traffic and don't have time to look closely at my surroundings it is nice to have it tell me that this road or that road is coming up.

irish1967
12-27-2008, 07:12 PM
We got to where we wanted to go... but our GPS (a Garmin) took us in a round about way.

We figured we would have been at the Contemporary front desk 15 minutes sooner if we had just taken our normal route.

If you don't know your way around, it will be a good tool. If you do know your way around, you might want to use your knowledge instead of the GPS.

tiggerandpooh63
12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Has anyone used/taken their Garmin GPS to Disney World and found it useful? I was wondering if the hotels/locations show up/are listed??? We are renting a car and thought it might be useful to find our way around the world.

Polynesian Dweller
12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
We've taken ours, and it can be helpful if you aren't familiar with some the roadways. But, sometimes (not that often) it will try to take you down non-public cast member only roads. You have to watch the signs and ignore those. The unit will then route you correctly. The correct routes it finds can actually be a bit more direct and more interesting than the routes the signs would lead you on. We use ours and have found it useful.

The resorts, theme parks, water parks, DTD, do show in City Navigator 2009.

TheRustyScupper
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
1) Forget the GPS once on property.
2) They WDW signs are very good.
3) They have been up for years and people seldom get lost.

Polynesian Dweller
01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
1) Forget the GPS once on property.
2) They WDW signs are very good.
3) They have been up for years and people seldom get lost.

Gonna disagree with you very slightly on this one Rusty. Yes the signs are good and people don't get lost but we have found a couple of much better routes with the GPS than the Disney signs would have you take. We found a much better way to DTD from AK than the signs and DTD to the Poly. So, I'd say use it to find the alternates and once you know them you don't need the GPS.