PDA

View Full Version : Driving Trip-Our December Getaway - Part 3

Katzateer
12-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Since this trip we were staying offsite most of the nights, only went to 2 WDW parks and didn't do a lot the days we didn't go to WDW (the girls swam and shopped), I am going to just write about the highlights and skip to our day at MK .

We picked a day to go to T-Rex and got there about 10:50 am. They start seating around 11am. I had read on someone's report that the Ice Room was the place to be and requested seating there.

The theme is very well done and looks great. I would recommend the jellyfish room-in the ice room it gets light and dark and is fun to see but the room with all the prehistoric sea creatures was my favorite.

When my oldest was little she would have loved the Triceratops booth-looks like it seated 6-8 people and was private.

The food was good-lots of choices. By 11:30 the place was packed and the line out the door so if your group REALLY wants to eat there, get to the podium a few minutes before 11 to avoid long waits.

We did go to ICE at Gaylord Palms. They did a good job and it was something different to do but I wouldn't spend the time or money to go again. It is so COLD you don't want to linger and look. It was expensive for the short amount of time. It seemed to take longer to get our parkas on than to see all the sculptures.

There was a large group of Red Hat Ladies that were in the group with us and they had a good time.

It costs $19.99 for each person to get in and $10 for parking for about 15 minutes or so of walking through the rooms.

I had gotten tickets for the MVMCP on Thursday night so we went to Kona's :cloud9: for a late lunch and arrived at the MK gates about 3:40. We were let into the park at 4pm and headed straight to Tomorrowland.

First we went to Carousel of Progress since I figured it wouldn't be open later. Then we went on a tour of Tommorrowland on the transit to give Courtney a look around.

The girls headed to SpaceMountain. Courtney didn't like it the first ride, they tryed again and she liked it better that time. While they were on SpaceMountain I went to get fastpasses. The first place I came to was Pooh so I got passes and bonus passes to Mickey's Philharmagic.

We covered Fantasyland, went to Haunted Mansion, got cookies and hot chocolate and went back to Fantasyland to find a seat for the fireworks. We sat near Dumbo.

The expression "almost jumped out of her shoes" was a good one for Courtney when the fireworks started. We were right under them and she jumped a mile high. They were great! The castle looked nice from the angle with the white lights twinkling.

Courtney wanted to walk through the castle but we couldn't-I guess they close it off since the fireworks are shot from the area. It didn't open back up the rest of the evening. She was really disappointed-she wanted to touch the castle (she had asked when we first were going to the park and I had told her she could walk through the middle of it).

The girls went to Pirates and it was closed. We watched the parade then went back over to Pirates and it was open.

By this time it was about time for the park to close. We started walking to the castle (pass the closed Dole whip stand:().

After so many years of going to WDW, I don't have too many mouth dropping, totally "WOW" moments, but when I saw the castle from the front that was one of those moments. Just beautiful.

We took a lot of pictures, stopped in shops and made our way out of the MK.

I wish we had been able to cover more of the park, but we spent time in lines and didn't rush the girls, and they had a great time.

I had taken all our MVMCP pins (the"free" ones) we had gotten over the years-I could find 9 years worth- and put them on a layard. Some of the castmembers thought they were neat. I didn't realize they don't give pins or take group shots anymore. The last party we went to was 4 years ago-when did they stop?

We stayed a POP 2 nights and the girls explored the area and enjoyed looking around. They also took a bus and went to the MK resort area and looked around on their own.

We got to see Wishes from 3 angles-the beach from the Poly, California Grill balcony and near the castle.

Places we ate at WDW:

Trails End - food is good but it is a lot of trouble to GET there

California Grill - excellent as always

Earl of Sandwich- great lunch

Kona's-my personal favorite-we only made it there once this trip, which is unusual for us

Food court at POP-fine for a quick meal

Our trip was great, way too short and I really missed not going to MGM, but that is just the way the trip worked out.

Hope everyone planning a trip has a magical time when they go!:mickey::thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the report

Katzateer
12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
One funny story I forgot to tell-when we were at the MK we went to see the Fairies. Courtney loves TinkerBell. The line took forever and the girls wanted to leave. They were both unhappy we were wasting time.

We hadn't taken any character pictures and I wanted to get at least one for Courtney.

Once we finally got in the girls started to look and around and thought it was cool, but didn't want to look too happy since they were a little mad at me for wasting time.

We got pictures and when we got home and I got some pictures printed the first one my daughter wanted to see was the one with the 3 characters. She still would not admit she was glad they had waited but she has talked about meeting them a couple of times since then. She is an artist so she really liked the props, etc.

Teenagers...:rolleyes:

mouseketeer mom
12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Glad you had a "Wow" moment when you looked at the castle. Thats great! Thanks for sharing all of your highlights, I enjoyed your report!

pdrlkr
12-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

faline
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
While you didn't get to cover it all, you still had a very nice time! I haven't seen the Castle with the new holiday theme! Sounds like it's really beautiful!