PDA

View Full Version : Hotel "Family of the Day - VIP"

NH Disneyfan
12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Anyone know what the "Family of the Day" at a hotel means? Upon checkin at All Star Movies this past week, I was welcomed by a manager as the "Family of the day".

This honor caused a wait of an additional 15 minutes at the front desk (while the line behind me emptied and moved through). I received gold keys to the world and the manager shook my hand. The rest of my family was over on the side of the lobby after our flight was delayed and it was late.

There was never anything else that pertained to VIP. We even got a great room overlooking (and hearing) the loading dock.

So, I'm confused about the "Family of the day" honor and the value to customers. I'm not looking for anything specific, but if my check-in is going to be delayed and confusing because of this, given the "year of a million dreams" I guess I expect a bit more.

Overall, the trip was great. Yes, there were the few hiccups along the way, but awesome to be in WDW regardless.

Thanks for any info you can provide on this!

DDuck66
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
We were honored by Housekeeping as the family of the day, and we got a nice certificate and courtesy turn down service. We really enjoyed the gesture as it was the only time we had ever gotten anything in the YOAMD.

Tbelle1976
12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
There was never anything else that pertained to VIP. We even got a great room overlooking (and hearing) the loading dock.

Wow, I would be confused as well! :confused: Did you ask them to elaborate further about what this was about? I hope that room was not an upgrade!

MauiMouse
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
We were honored by Housekeeping as the family of the day, and we got a nice certificate and courtesy turn down service.

:ditto:

This is exactly what my friends received as well at Pop Century last Wednesday when we returned back to our room. They got turn down service with chocolates on the pillow, a nice certificate and also a magnetic photo frame of a Year of a Million Dreams.

Ian
12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
We even got a great room overlooking (and hearing) the loading dock.Man, if that was an upgrade, I'd hate to see what tier accomodations you had actually booked!

What were you in, the Urinal Suite??

NH Disneyfan
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! We definitely didn't get any of that. We did have some cool towel animals the first night upon returning from MK, but my understanding is that everyone gets those at All Star. No turn down, no chocolate, no photo frame, no VIP experience.

I guess Disney should evaluate the effort (and waste for weary travelers) of the VIP Family of the Day at the resort, unless there's some token as a result. I don't mean to be ungrateful - but I am curious what I should be grateful for.....

sisterdisco
12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I think the Family of the Day works better at the Deluxe Resorts.
Our neighbors were the "family of the day" in July at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They got upgraded from a regular room to a "huge" room w/ concierge service and free snacks.

beksy
12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Man, if that was an upgrade, I'd hate to see what tier accomodations you had actually booked!

:funny::rotfl::haha::silly::laughing: That's great! LOL!!

andreallybadeggs
12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! We definitely didn't get any of that. We did have some cool towel animals the first night upon returning from MK, but my understanding is that everyone gets those at All Star. No turn down, no chocolate, no photo frame, no VIP experience.

I guess Disney should evaluate the effort (and waste for weary travelers) of the VIP Family of the Day at the resort, unless there's some token as a result. I don't mean to be ungrateful - but I am curious what I should be grateful for.....

Guess you should be grateful that you were not the VIP Family of the WEEK.
With a twist on the old joke, "Congratulations! You've won first prize in our contest--one day as our VIP family. Second prize?--two days as our VIP family." :D

BMan62
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Man, if that was an upgrade, I'd hate to see what tier accomodations you had actually booked!

So, did that mean that they would get urinal cakes on their pillows with their turn-down service?

big blue and hairy
12-20-2008, 03:44 PM

I read this while taking a drink of soda. It almost didn't end well....;)

:sulley:

offwego
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
hmm we had the same view at VWl, minus the towel animals (and we didn't have them at Pop either aside from one premade totured facecloth with stickers on it) despite tipping. (not that would help a view)

I had no clue a resort such as the VWL could use as many towels as we saw..it was kinda funny once you got over the aspect of it.

But we "didn't win" this it was just luck of the draw..at rack rate no less. :faint:

Ian
12-21-2008, 12:01 PM
So, did that mean that they would get urinal cakes on their pillows with their turn-down service?Mmmmm ... flaky .... :tasty:

big blue and hairy
12-21-2008, 01:10 PM
We were honored by Housekeeping as the family of the day, and we got a nice certificate and courtesy turn down service. We really enjoyed the gesture as it was the only time we had ever gotten anything in the YOAMD.
We got the same thing. I guess it's tough to get a million prizes into one year.

:sulley: