PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have the holiday blahs?

alphamommy
12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I am having a terrible time trying to get in the spirit of the holidays!

Ordinarily, by this time, our tree and house would be decorated, I'd have at least a few packages wrapped, and would be planning my baking. About the only thing I have done is my Christmas cards.

This year, we got a late start on putting up the tree, and it just seems like more work than usual. I collect Christmas ornaments, so we have A LOT. I usually love putting them up, but have basically decided this year that I'm done, even though I have totes I haven't finished unpacking yet. We don't even have our house decorations up from the basement yet, let alone out.

I have some shopping done, but have several people for whom I haven't even decided what to get yet.

To top thing off, DH got out of work a week earlier than I was expecting, so I have him underfoot while trying to do anything. He's actually quite helpful, but I wasn't expecting to have him home during the day until next week.

I've got to get out of this funk, or I'll be giving IOUs for presents!

WDWFanatic
12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I hear you Tammy! I've been going through treatment for early stage breast cancer (I'll be fine) and I am doing the least I can get away with this year. I had another surgery last week so we made sure to get our tree up, but I barely decorated in the inside of the house and I'm skipping cards. I think our whole area will end up in a kind of funk also. We had four days of no power so people will really feel behind the eight ball.

I hope you can get your mojo going. Maybe you can send your hubby on some "busy" work, tee hee.

Tinksalot
12-17-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm also having a hard time getting in the mood. My husband was laid off last Friday and I think the stress has gotten to us. I don't feel so "Merry" this year. :(

vicster
12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Ditto here on the Christmas blahs! I haven't finished shopping because I don't know what to get a few people. My brother just had brain surgery (aneuryisms) so of course that put a damper on things worrying about him. He's home now and is doing ok. Hopefully I can perk up a little - I'm trying. This economy certainly has me down although it hasn't affected us YET. I feel so bad for people losing their jobs and homes. The list of foreclosures in the paper every day just turns my stomach. I just wish it would pick up!

ckaranassos
12-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Im with all of you! We don't have our tree up and I feel bad because my 9 and 12 year old keep asking. Which turned out to be lucky, because last week good old NJ had a terrible rain storm and our family room and the kid's playroom flooded. So we had to rip out the carpet in the playroom and the laminate flooring in the familyroom. Not to mention homeowners won't cover the damage because the water came from outside the house. So that was a nice $2500 I did not expect to pay two weeks before Christmas. The silver lining is the tree would have been in the familyroom with the gifts so we could have lost a lot more. Here's to things getting brighter!

BeccaO
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I think that is pretty much the norm with everyone this year. There were a couple things I didn't do this year with my decorating that I usually do, like put wreaths on all the windows on the outside, I just didn't feel like going to the hassle this year. I did put everything else up though. I look around my neighborhood at people that normally put decorations out and there aren't as many this year. I think it has to do with the economy but I also think it's because Thanksgiving came so late this year, last year there were an extra 5 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

disneymom15
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I've felt like this for the last few years. Out tree isn't up yet either. We only have one daughter who's 18, and we do have a few gifts purchased for her, but as for everyone else we'll do gift cards. We did get our outside lights, but that's about it. Hopefully my daughter will put the tree up for me.

Ian
12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I always kind of hit this holiday rut in between when the Christmas season kicks off (i.e. right after Thanksgiving) and when it actually arrives.

But once the office closes for the holidays (on the 24th) and I can start to relax and enjoy my favorite time of the year, I'm sure I'll be okay.

I'm kind of frustrated, though, because I worked my tail off putting our Christmas lights up early and now I've got some electrical problem that's preventing me from turning them on. That's giving me a little bit of the blahs! :mad:

Im with all of you! We don't have our tree up and I feel bad because my 9 and 12 year old keep asking. Which turned out to be lucky, because last week good old NJ had a terrible rain storm and our family room and the kid's playroom flooded.Ugh, what a mess that storm was. I couldn't even get into the office on Friday because all the roads into Princeton were flooded.

SBETigg
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Count me in. I'm trying so hard to find my holiday spirit and it's eluding me. I've watched Christmas specials, played my favorite carols, picked out a lovely tree, shopped, and I'm still not in the mood. I don't know why I'm so blah, but there it is. I'm hoping I just magically get over it in a few days.

Mickey'sGirl
12-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I too am blahhhed.

We had a terribly stressful Autumn that climaxed in the passing away of my dear Mother. I'm not in the spirit at all.....

Thankfully, I do have DS4 and DS10. They are blissfully detatched and have encouraged us to put up the tree etc.... and Mother Nature is dumping snow on us :snowball:now, and through the weekend....so that might help as well.

I do wish everyone a Merry Christmas -- regardless.... :elf:

jrkcr
12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Eleven years ago I had a miscarriage on Christmas day. After that, every year I would pile on the things to do, just to try and forget about it. I was in the church choir, I did the party for my kids classes at school, I baked "gourmet"(meaning not easy to make!)cookies to give as gifts, and shopped to find the perfect gift for everyone! Finally I started having mini-strokes, where I couldn't speak or read, and I lost vision in one eye. NOT fun! And this happened on the night I was in charge of the Christmas pageant at church. Plus, that same Christmas I YELLED at my father in law-and I never do things like that!! Needless to say I was not OK. It took me a while to get back to being able to really enjoy Christmas. And now I weigh everything on a scale: will this be fun or stressful? :goodbad:

I no longer stress over gifts. The kids make out very specific lists for us to pick from. And for adults, I don't ask them what they want, I just buy something that I think they will like-and if they don't like it, they can return it or re-gift it!

And now we live where we have SNOW! It's so pretty!!:snowman: I really love getting up just before the sunrise and going outside(with the dog) and it is so quiet and cold-just perfect!!

I really enjoyed watching the kids decorate the tree-most of the ornaments ended up on the bottom half of the tree. :laughing: DH hung up one ornament, and I hung up one. (both from DL) And without me even asking, DH even put up outdoor lights! They look great!

DD9 and I really enjoy baking together, and making up funny lyrics to christmas songs. The sillier, the better!

At night, we've been watching all those old kids christmas shows on TV and we have a small collection of them on DVD. And munching on caramel corn...so healthy! :blush:

I think it's these simple moments that make me feel so Christmasy. It took me a few years, but I now "get" the true meaning of Christmas. I hope each of you find your Christmas spirit! :tree::dreidel:

teambricker04
12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
AHHHHH! :eek:I was feeling pretty blah, but after reading all of your entries, I think I just may need to get it done!

We have been passing illnesses around my house... First, a cold that turns into a cough. Next up, a case of pink eye. To Round it out, a nice dose of vomiting and other bodily functions. It really has cut our prep time to this week and next. My kids are little so they don't realize how festive it usually is. We do have the tree and lights up. The cards are ready to send. I HAVEN'T STARTED SHOPPING. I probably should get on that.

My best to you all... hopefully we can get on the Holiday bandwagon!!!

Cinderelley
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I was in the holiday spirit until last night. We never put up the Christmas decorations until after my sons' birthdays (12/11 & 12/14) because I never wanted them to feel short changed. Well, we went out to pick out our tree last night, and it felt so weird not having my oldest DS with us (he joined the Navy this year). Then I realized that this will probably be the last time we go pick out a real tree with the rest of the boys. My stepson is 18 & my other son is 17. The next time it will just be me, DH & DD. :crying:

buzznwoodysmom
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
For some reason I think everyone's got the Christmas Blahs this year. I am always in the Christmas spirit early, like before Thanksgiving, but this year everything just seems like a chore. We went on a fun Thanksgiving weekend vacation, Polar Express Train ride, stayed in a beautifully decorated hotel, Gaylord Texan, did Christmas stuff all weekend and we were all in a great Christmas mood. However, we've been back for a few weeks now and I just don't feel it anymore. It seems everyone I talk to, my mother, friends, who are normally very cheery around Christmas feel the same way. Maybe its the whole economy thing going on that's got everyone down. Here's hoping everyone's holidays get brighter.

thrillme
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm working HARD to keep up the Christmas spirit but everybody around me seems quite down and my DH has been out of town for a class for the last two weeks so I've been doing everything on my own. My DS just is not getting into the swing because he want my DH here.

At work everybody seems pessimistic because of the financial killing we're taking but...like a baby...Christmas comes whether you're really ready for it or not.

Strangely enough I'm finding walking around singing Christmas Carols whether I mean to or not seems to be stirring up some smiles. Maybe tonight I'll bake some cookies for everybody. I don't really feel like it either but I do feel cheerier once I start pushing myself.

Aggie97
12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm with you. It's kind of a weird Christmas for me this year: my father is deployed in Baghdad, and it's the first time he's been away from the family for Christmas. It just won't be the same without him. But -- I have an awful lot to be thankful for, so I am determined to get my spirits back up to their normal holiday level! I really am going to go finish those Christmas cards now. :tree:

pink
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I know what you mean. This year I just feel like Christmas is coming too fast and everything is going by so quickly, it just doesn't feel like Christmas. For me, it's a mix between health problems, warmer climate (constant reminder of global warming) and the constant stress I'm under thinking that my job is going to close down soon. I work at a car dealership and there are NO customers. I think I'm up next on the chopping block.

laughingplace<3
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I certainly agree with all of you. Before I knew it, it was December (shock!) 18th, and I realized that Christmas is coming, no matter if I'm ready or not!

I definitely agree that the financial crisis is in part a big cause of the not so merry holiday spirit. My family is suffering from this crisis, and sad to say this will effect what and how many gifts are under tree. Not to say that is the only important part of the holidays because of course it isn't, but the horrible truth is that the financial crisis is also causing loads of stress and overtime, pulling my family quality time apart.
:( Not to mention, I've been at home all week really sick :ill:. Ugh, I just wish the holidays would wait another month or so. We don't even have our tree yet and I haven't been able to do any fun holiday things. And I live in NYC, of all places! But this year I don't feel surrounded in the holiday cheer as usual.

However, I hope that on Christmas Eve, we all find that the worrying was for nothing because we are with our family. :thumbsup:

cer
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I have the blahs, too.

Running around, trying to find presents for people, and only wanting to sit at home. And once you get the gifts, you have to wrap them...DH asking me what I want and I don't know - I really don't want anything - nothing he could pick out on his own at least. Don't know what to get my folks. Feeling under the weather and speaking of weather, I just hate cold weather!!! Are we sending out cards this year? DH wants to, but I just don't have it in me. And it seems to get worse every year.

Maybe I just need to be a better plannner - I don't know.

Well, it is all going to be ok - I would just like for once to chuck all the presents - go to church on Christmas eve, enjoy some good food and be done with it. Maybe I will start a new trend...

diz_girl
12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I thought that it was just me! DH just did the outdoor decorations on Sunday, but I haven't done a thing. Not the tree (don't have one yet) or the indoor decorations or sending cards.

I was even at WDW the week following Thanksgiving and I didn't even enjoy it like past trips. I couldn't even get into the Disney spirit, let alone the Christmas spirit. Granted, my SIL gave me and DS a cold just in time for our trip, so I couldn't smell any WDW smells or Christmas smells. The funny thing was that DH gave me a cold on our previous trip to WDW, so that's the second trip that I couldn't smell the water at the Poly.:mad:

So with WDW and having the cold while there really knocked the stuffing out of me. I just don't have the energy. But tonight, after DS has gone to sleep, I'm going to light some balsam incense, put on the Grinch, write my cards and do what I can to get into the Christmas spirit.

princessgirls
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Christmas can be a very stressful time!

Take it easy and pace yourself. Do what you can.

Know that we celebrate Christmas to honor the Birth of our Lord.

May you Blessed this holiday season.

Julie:mickey:

Stich8818
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
For me I agree with everyone in saying that I am having a hard time getting into the spirit this year. I think though the past 8(since I lost my mom) is the biggest reason.I hate to say it but I think given the sate of the country right now I think everyone is just not in a good mood. Although with my job today I did find out that there will be no layoffs, they are going to cut us some hours for everyone across the board, but if it keeps people from getting laid off well all the better.

PirateLover
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I think I am Christmas bi-polar this year! Some days I am so into everything, blasting Christmas music. Other days I don't want to be bothered and I groan when I hit the Christmas stations whilst surfing the radio. Usually I'm in 100% Christmas mode by Thanksgiving. However for me this is the first year I'm working full time. Last year I didn't have a job and before that I was in college and was usually done the first week of December.