PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust and Present Advice

danimator
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I work at a church and our office (all 6 of us!) chose secret santa to give gifts to next week. I drew our minister.

His wife was diagnosed with advanced staged ovarian cancer in August (prayers and pixie dust welcome). I don't know why, and I know it's pretty silly, but I really want to get him something he'd enjoy. I mean...this is a guy who's meant a lot to me and helped me in the past. I guess it just breaks my heart to see them both suffer so much.

So I just want a little advice. We're to spend around $20 (no more) and I'm at a loss as to what to get! He's quite a gadgetty sort of guy...do it yourself and neat little things, I mean.

Has anyone come across anything like that that's not too pricey?

Thanks!

Iluvpooh
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Prayers and pixie dust for your friend.
What about a Leatherman/multitool? You can get a nice one for around that price. I bought my husband one a few years ago and at first he thought it was kind of silly, but he uses it all the time. He says it is one of the best presents I ever bought him.

WDWFanatic
12-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for your pastor's wife, and your whole church. Brookstone's has a cute clock that shows time, temperature, timer, etc. My DH likes any kind of weather station type thing.

But also I suggest you write him a very heart thought letter that will mean more than any present.

All my best.

btharvey
12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

btharvey
12-17-2008, 09:52 AM
... and I forgot to include ... how about a gadgety gift certificate or gift card to someplace like Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, Hammacher Schlemmer, "What on Earth?" or someplace or catalog like that? If he's gadgety, I'd be afraid of duplicating what he has, and if he is gadgety, then he'll appreciate it.

Cinderelley
12-17-2008, 03:54 PM
My take on it seems to be a little different than everyone else's. With all of that stress on him from life, he might enjoy some time to "get away". What about a gift card to a movie theater or a nice dinner? Something that he and his wife can enjoy together?

ElenitaB
12-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I'd suggest a "gift certificate" for a photo book for them to put together, together.

And loads of :pixie: for your minister's wife. As there is still no reliable diagnostic tool for ovarian cancer, many are diagnosed late stage (i.e., Stage III or Stage IV). However, treatment has advanced over the years and there are multiple options available to patients these days. I'm blessed to be a 7-1/2 year OvCa survivor. Feel free to send a PM if they'd like to talk to someone in the trenches.

tinksmom02
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I like Ellen's suggestion for a gift card for a photo book. I also like WDWFanatic's thought of writing a letter, I know that will be appreciated.

A gift card for something he and his wife can do together (movies, dinner) is also a good suggestion.

crazypoohbear
12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
What about a nice scrap book.
You could start it with pictures of them that you have access to and they could add their own later down the road.

Or a movie night bucket ~ get a popcorn box and put in microwave popcorn a good movie, some candy etc so they can enjoy a movie night at home where his wife might be more comfortable. I would recommend a belly laugh comedy for them at this point in her treatment, I bet laughter will be a great stress reliever.

danimator
12-18-2008, 11:05 PM
You've all been so amazingly helpful!

I think the leatherman tool is a good idea, so I'm looking into that, but all the ideas have been spot on!

God Bless Intercot!

danimator
12-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice!

I ended up getting a leatherman tool for 22.00. I never would have thought of it had it not been for you all! He just LOVED it, I could tell. I was so happy that I could get something that tickled him.

God bless Intercot!

Cinderelley
12-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad you found something he liked.