PDA

View Full Version : On or off? That is the question

estein80
12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
My dh's family is planning a trip to WDW in March. My dh and I agree that there is no comparison to staying on property. My b-i-l wants to stay at the Ginn. I know very little about it, but have looked at the website. It looks nice but... Every time I have stayed off site, I have regretted it.

We will have 10 of us total, with 3 kids under the age of 4 (mine will be 9 months, my s-i-l's will be 2 and 3). I know that mine will definitely need to nap during the day. We are trying to figure out how to house the 3 families in the best manner possible.

I would love some thoughts!

Thanks!

maryjean
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I would say stay someone where in Disney like the Villas or somewhere with bigger spaces and kitchens.Also staying off Disney means getting to and from the parks on your own as most places off of Disney property only have one shuttle in the morning and one at night which means paying a taxis if your little ones need to come back for naps. We tried it once off Disney property and found it to be a pain.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
On!!!!

*cough* CSR *cough*

;)

Chris :hatter:

PetefromRI
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
We love staying onsite but one year we stayed with family in a 3 bedroom villa at the Marriott Grande Vista and we absolutley loved it.A three bedroom villa was about the same price as 1 garden room at the Poly.We even did a day at Universal and SeaWorld.We always try to stay onsite but with the economy the way it is,and with the way housekeeping has been at Disney over the last few years,it's starting to be another option.We did find out that there is life outside of Disney and alot of great dining options so I say try it.If it's not your thing you can always stay on property next time.I keep saying that this is why Disney had better start paying closer attention to their room rates and housekeeping.I know that location is important but getting the best bang for your buck is also important especially today.

mouseketeer mom
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
ON SITE!!! Especially with kids, especially with that many people!! The perks are are plenty. No contest, onsite.

cindchan
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I'd say on, myself. I've never stayed offsite, and have no interest. I fly down, so there's no other way for me to get to the parks or anywhere else(I'm not renting a car).

There's always Pop Century, or All Stars are fairly cheap (per Disney standards), and free buses. :thumbsup:

Tbelle1976
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
My whole family will be going down in Feb (about 15 of us), myself, DH and our 2 kids are the only ones staying on property. Everyone else has come up with a clever idea to stay off property to "try to save a little money". I have explained to them that paying a little more per night to not have to drive through all the traffic that early in the morning, paying for parking and being able to jump a quick bus ride back to our resort is well worth it to me!

Mrs Bus Driver
12-15-2008, 09:08 AM
As I haven't done this myself, don't know if it is a good idea, but how about looking into renting DVC points. You could go for a grand villa, with 3 families sharing costs this might work. :mickey:

WeLuvBuzz
12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
With that many people here is a vote for offsite. DH and I went last month and stayed at a beautiful two bedroom two bathroom condo with a full kitchen, 1/2 kitchen, two balconies, jacuzzi tub, 4 flat screen High def TVs, and two washers and dryers for under $700 for the week. We were so close to the world that we could sit on our balcony and watch wishes. Driving in in the morning is easy and not having to wait for a bus at night is great. Yes, it can be inconvenient if you want to leave for a nap, but I think leaving to go anywhere to go back for a nap can be inconvenient. Personally I do not feel comfortable not having a car and do not want to feel like cattle at a value. Last summer we spent more in two nights at the Poly than for a whole week in our condo with tons and tons more room. No comparison in my book until I can afford a two bedroom at BLT. Plus you cannot beat having a nice, full kitchen so you do not have to mess with the food courts all the time and a washer and dryer in your unit is priceless.

DDuck66
12-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Aas you can see, there are both pros and cons for onsite and offsite. We have done both because we like to have our DD (Darling Dog) with us on short trips....but I have to say that we really enjoy it more when we stay onsight. IMHO, you lose some of the magic when you stay offsite.

Jasper
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
First of all, consider having each family stay where they want and then meet up each morning to explore the parks or whatever you plan to do.

Another option that I always like is to make lists of why each group wants to stay on or off site. Then compare your lists to the amenities offered at each hotel under consideration. Often times you will find a nice compromise facility that allows everyone in the group to get a little something of what they like. By the way, depending on how your family does Christmas, this can be a fun after dinner/after opening gifts project for young and old alike to do at your family Christmas get together.

KylesMom
12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
My b-i-l wants to stay at the Ginn. Out of curiosity, is your b-i-l a big golfer and that is the reason he chose Ginn?

I have heard great things from my sales guys when they've been to Ginn's for business meetings that involve golf. I know that the Ginn Reunion is not the least expensive option in the area if this is about saving money . . .

I'd go with your gut on this one. If you've regretted each time you've stayed offsite, this may not be for you. I like the idea of having each family stay where they want, and meet up each day as planned. There is nothing like the convenience of staying on-site!

Kairi_7378
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
First of all, consider having each family stay where they want and then meet up each morning to explore the parks or whatever you plan to do.

This is what I was going to suggest. Because everyone vacations a little differently, it will be very hard to find something that works for everyone in your group. It will be easier to get a family of 3 to a destination than a group of 10. Plus, staying in different hotels (if that's what people want to do) will give each family some "down time" from each other, which will make everyone happier in the long run during vacation. (Unless you've done multiple trips together and staying in the same place works for your family, then I take that back.)

I'd suggest making a breakfast or dinner ADR for everyone for a few days, and just let people know when to be where.

buzznwoodysmom
12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
We've stayed off site in the past, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as staying on site. After our first trip staying on site everyone in our family decided that it is on site or not at all. I'd even have to think about it really hard even if someone else was paying, that's how much we enjoy staying on site vs. off.

MarkC
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know your budget, but there are other things to consider. Not having bus service from your motel means that your group will have to leave for the parks and leave for your motel together. If some of the kids get tired or cranky you're either forced to leave, or forced to make them stay. Plus you would have no extra magic hours. We're leaving in 12 days for only our 2nd off-site stay. Due to the late planning for a bowl game and availability we have no choice this time, but count me as one who would never choose to stay off-site unless it's a necessity.

dteed
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
with the kids ages I would stay at Fort Wilderness in a cabin if that is possible. When mine were younger I would stay near the MK since that is where they would most like to visit. Even before we became Vacation Club members offsite was not an option. When you stay offsite you must leave the magic. As far as there being more to Orlando than Disney, I agree, but why not travel from your Disney hotel to the outside world, rather than vice-versa

JerseyDad
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
.....having only stayed On-Site for all of my WDW vacations....my opinion regarding accomodations preference would likely be classified as "one sided". (However....I don't care what others say...so pooh to them! ;) )

...seriously though..if your budget allows for an On-Site stay then by all means I would say "go for it". We've vacationed at WDW in the past as a "group" (3 other families)...and they stayed off site at the Windham near Downtown Disney. They were ALWAYS late for meeting us at whatever park that were going to that day / night....and I mean...really LATE. You can't beat the reliability and convenience of the Disney transportation system. They were also not given the opportunity to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours due to their not being WDW resort guests.

....again...it all adds up to personal preferences and personal finances. As mentioned by cindchan earlier...there are always the resorts like POP (where we always have stayed. It's affordable...and...it's On-Site...with all the WDW benefits.

megustamex
12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Another vote for staying where you want to stay and not with the other family. Trust me, it won't matter. You'll never see each other at the resorts. We just came back from a trip with our aunt and uncle, along with our two toddlers, and we barely were able to hook up for breakfasts on the toddlers' schedules. We never saw each other at the resort the rest of the time and we had changed our hotel in order to stay together. Totally unnecessary.

And I have stayed onsite and offsite. Having traveled to Orlando for business, I often had to stay in a Marriott type of hotel, but I'd sneak out at night and visit the parks with my AP. It is NOT the same as staying onsite, never will compare. You definitely lose the magic. I've also stayed offsite at a very nice Universal hotel once - comparable to a Deluxe in Disney I suppose - and let me just say that there was NO comparison. NO MAGIC. So please do yourself a big favor and stay where you want to stay. And take it from a mom with a 1 and a 3 year old, you do not want to be any further from the hotel than you have to be when the meltdown starts.

One more thing - you mentioned you will be in the room for naps. There is something about staying in a Disney property - even the values - that makes you feel like you are in the park even if you are stuck in the room or on the grounds while the kids are napping. This, to me, is essential when you have toddlers that tie you to a daily afternoon nap. Do you really want to be anywhere but on property when you have to go back to the room for a few hours every day?

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
On site most definitely, contact MJ and see what your options are with your size family:mickey:

kemps@wdw
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Definitely ON!!! :thumbsup: Just the travel time to and from, alone, would justfy staying on property!
Not to mention, necessary naps, provided transportation, easy access to multiple parks (if you plan to park-hop), need I go on?

andreallybadeggs
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Another vote for each family staying where they like. We have done multiple trips both on and off site with anywhere between 2 and 20 people in the group. Our family loves staying on property and normally this is our preference but can not agree with those who deem it a no-brainer. There are, indeed, some definite advantages to an off-site condo or home stay IF you have your own transportation. Chief among those adv's are kitchens, private washer/dryers, and much more elbow room for far less $. SO-- if you are reluctant to give up the 24-7 Disney magic but your in-laws' priorities include some of the off-site perks it seems like a win-win situation. Everyone gets what they want and you can share the wealth.
Kids all need a nap? Zip back to the Disney room and let the cousins rest, too. One night everyone wants to hang out together, eat a simple meal and watch the big game while getting laundry done easily all at the same time? Head to the Ginn. No worries and there will still be plenty of together time.

Tink#64
12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Another vote here for on site! We planned a very last minute trip this year during Spring Break & there was absolutely nothing available for our first few days on site! But lucky for us, it was our first time driving so we had our van & found a really decent super inexpensive off site hotel! I even asked DH if we should just stay there all week insted of moving to Pop mid week! Luckily he said no! I can honestly tell you that I didn't feel like our vacation actually began until we checked in at Pop & were able to park our vehicle & let Disney do the driving!

Our first "bad" experience at WDW this year! Our youngest DS got sick just in time for Fantasmic, luckily we were already at Pop & I was able to take DS & hop on the bus & let DH & older DS stay & enjoy the show & meet us at the resort when they were finished! Not the end of the world, but we'd have all had to leave & miss out had we not had that option! It's so nice to go out & hop on the bus for that short ride back to the resort for that afternoon break and then hop back on the bus in the evening withut having the hassle of the traffic!

:blush: Even though this was our 5th trip to WDW, always having stayed on site & riding the busses, I've never paid any attention to the routes, I can't tell you how many times we drove around & around & have to turn around becuz we had no idea where we were going driving ourselves around WDW! :blush: I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we got to sit back & enjoy the ride to the parks instead of watching the signs & finding that parking psot, then walking all the way up to the gates! Can't imagine with small kids in tow!

Just my :twocents: after now experiencing both on & off property stays! I hope you have a great trip no matter where you stay! I'd rather stay off site than no go at all, but given the choice, & if possible, I'll definitely choose on site every time! :thumbsup:

stitchaholic
12-23-2008, 04:49 AM
all i know is that i have heard that those condo's with the private pools are cheap and spacious,but i don't want to cook,clean or do LAUNDRY on vacation,a vacation is to get away from all that nonsense,not to mention driving,traffic and parking,finding the car after a long day,na uh.not for me!

andreallybadeggs
12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
all i know is that i have heard that those condo's with the private pools are cheap and spacious,but i don't want to cook,clean or do LAUNDRY on vacation,a vacation is to get away from all that nonsense,not to mention driving,traffic and parking,finding the car after a long day,na uh.not for me!
I certainly understand that sentiment and personally agree with you but, no matter how strange it seems to us Disneyholics, there are many Orlando-bound travelers who find very appealing:
1) a more spacious and home-like atmosphere
2) control of one's own transportation
3) proximity to other area attractions
4) competitive pricing
5) a myriad of other things depending on the particular resort
If the OP's in-laws fall in that group, I stick by my recommendation that it might not be such a bad plan to have part of the group on and part of the group off site. In any case, estein80, if you tell the others that you feel passionately about Disney property but will certainly understand if they want to stay elsewhere they might decide the togetherness is more important than whatever it is attracting them to the Ginn. If not, and you split up, then each family will have a great opportunity to see "how the other half lives".
Whatever you decide, have a fabulous trip. :mickey:

Cinderelley
12-26-2008, 06:17 AM
I've done several trips with our extended family. A lot of it depends on your family and the main point of the trip. If your family is comfortable being close together and spending the most time possible in the parks is a priority for everyone, then stay on site in the same resort or even the same villa. If your family needs more space (and that's perfectly fine too) and privacy to unwind at the end of the day, but do desire to spend a lot of time together (not necessarily in the parks) then an offsite hotel with a lot of family friend amenities might be good for you.

I have found that my trips with different groups of people are always different - always different in a good way. With my extended family, the pace is slower but I get a lot of quality time with them, especially at TS meals. We stay offsite and relax at the hotel's amenities a lot too. With just me, DH & my kids, we hit the rides hard with mostly CS meals. We really enjoy staying at Pop Century although we have tried other resorts. When I'm with my friends, we enjoy doing whatever we want whenever we want without worrying about what the kids want. ;) We can sleep late or get up early. Go for a massage or dress up at Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique. Even our choice of resort is on our whim. So, I guess I'm trying to say that this trip probably won't be the same as your other trips, but enjoy it for what it is - time with the ones you care about no matter where you're staying.

megustamex
12-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I think that for some of us the resort is as much of the whole Disney experience as the parks. It is for me anyway. I love that feeling of driving through the gates and leaving the real world behind, knowing that everything I do for the next 7 days will be Disney. Sometimes I have to run to the grocery store (we do always rent a car) and it really breaks the magic for me! I think other people just want a nice big place to stay. It really depends on what is important to you. I'd rather stay in the smallest Disney value room than an upscale offsite hotel because it just doesn't envelop me in the Disney experience 24/7, but some people don't care about that or get that same feeling. If you do - and you think it will affect how much fun you're having on your trip - then, again, I'd stay onsite.

iadarolas
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I have stayed off several times and on once. I would never, ever, ever, stay off again. Especially, with that many people...what if one wants to stay at a park and one wants to leave? You need a lot of flexibility when you have children and groups of people. You don't have flexibility when you stay off. My advice would be to rent points from a DVC owner and stay in a villa at the Beach Club or Boardwalk. You will be able to walk to two parks and have many choices for eating. The bus transportation allows people to come and go as they please. You could allow little ones to go back to the room for a nap or time to cool off with a swim. It is well worth the extra money you spend, and by renting points from a DVCer, you can stay deluxe for a very good price.:thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
01-03-2009, 01:08 PM
We have stayed at both over the years and we've definitely become "on-siters"!:mickey:
I also understand that there are people that are not "magical" and can not handle having Disney "shoved down their throats" 24/7. (Poor them!:) ) As for me I love that feeling, the music and the magic that follows you everywhere you go for as long as I can afford to stay down there. :cloud9:
From the financial aspect, I found that the non creepy places I would prefer to stay are now the same price or more expensive than staying on site. No brainer for us then! And I LOVE being able to buy stuff and pick it up at the resort!::blush:
Good luck with the decision! :mickey:

playdead88
01-03-2009, 05:56 PM
On.

irish1967
01-03-2009, 08:58 PM
My opinion is pretty lopsided - honestly, if given the choice, I would ALWAYS stay on-site.

But, a couple of years ago we went to WDW with my DH's family (26 of us :crowd:)

Before this trip, our WDW vacations were always my family's gig - we go for a shorter period of time (3 nights / 4 days) and stay at a deluxe resort.

The initial suggestion was that we find a house big enough for all of us :ack: (I love my in-laws but it would take multiple :marg::marg::marg: - starting pretty early in the day - to be able to do 24/7 with all of them.)

Eventually we ended up in three (four bedroom) condos off-site. It turned out pretty good. We did have a lot of fun with DH's family and hopefully we will have a chance to do it again...

Pros:

1) The space was nice. The condos had bedroom suits and 2 bedrooms that shared a bathroom. DH and I had our own bedroom/bathroom as the boys had their own room (so to speak, the kids kind of bopped around and slept in different condos each night) and shared a bathroom with two nieces. We also had a nice sized living room and a full kitchen.

2) We really did spend a lot of time with the family while at the condo. Everyone went their own way during the day. But, we did a pretty good job of coordinating and were able to do a major "child swap" each morning so each child got to do what he/she really wanted to do. For example, my nephew, a huge animal lover, was able to go to AK 3 times that week by attaching himself to different families that had it on their agenda.

3) We spent very little on food. We had breakfast and most dinners at one of the condos - which meant that we only at lunch at the parks.

4) The pool was almost empty - the children were able to really enjoy playing together in the pool without having to worry about bothering other guests.

Cons:

1) Even though the condo was only 6 miles from the main gate. It was a lengthy (time-wise) commute to the park. Orlando is a metropolitan area and as such has rush hour traffic. We were late for our 7:15 a.m. Chef Mickey's ADR one morning and had left the condo at 6:30 a.m.

2) Once we left the parks we were done. During the 7 days, we did not return to WDW even once after deciding to head back to the condo in the afternoon to take a swim. The thought of driving to WDW, parking, riding a tram, hitting a park again, riding a tram, getting into the car and driving back to the condo was just too much at that point. We lost, probably, 1/3 of our normal park time each day because of the commuting.

3) It kind of stunk being the Mom in the condo. Since we ate two meals (most days) at the condo, the moms pretty much got cooking and clean up duty. Not what I consider a vacation.

Would I do it again? Absolutely - but more so because I love my DH, not because I loved the experience.

I will, however, definitely press a little harder to stay on-site if it comes up again.

mic_keyfan
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Although I have never tried to stay off site, I must say that I can't imagine a trip to WDW without being at one of the resorts it just doesn't seem right. My DH and I have thought about it each time we've visited, as we have seen some pretty good deals for some off site condos...but when it comes down to the wire we just cannot bring ourselves to do it!! Our favorite: Port Orleans Riverside!!

big blue and hairy
01-04-2009, 01:44 PM
On site most definitely, contact MJ and see what your options are with your size family:mickey:
Good idea. I would suggest checking out the newly reopened treehouses.

:sulley:

estein80
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I just thought I would fill you in on the final decision...

We will be staying at the Ginn. The thought was that it would work better because the adults would be able to stay up and chat after we put the kids down. (I just wish someone had clued me in before I went through all the effort of trying to find an option on site.)

My dh and I would still like to stay on-site, but at least for this trip, we feel we should stay as a family. We'll see what happens in the future.

Thanks again!

Cinderelley
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
You guys will have a great time!

iadarolas
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I vote for on site!:number1: In my opinion, there is no comparison. With a large group and a group of young children, you will need some flexibility. We have vacationed with large groups in the past and have loved being so close that we could all come and go as we pleased. If one or two people want to go back to the resort, it doesn't impact the rest of the group. I find that there is so much to do at Disney, there is no need to go over to Universal or Sea World. If I wanted to do those parks again, I would do them on another vacation.:magic:

goofy78
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
it comes down to finances. if you can't afford the hotel on site then go with an offsite that is cheaper. however, if you can afford on site resorts then there is absolutely no comparison in my book. my vote is stay on disney property!

mickeyman42
01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
onsite, onsite, onsite! we stayed off-site last year at a lovely house we rented. 4 bedrooms, kitchen, pool everything, close to the parks(literally 5 mins to AK) but when you have to pack up 3 kids, strollers, and bags and park at MK, then get on a tram (time to fold everything up again)then get on the monorail (more folding up of strollers) then unfold everthing again just to get to MK, you realize that staying onsite is so much more convienent than you could have ever realized