PDA

View Full Version : Eating healthy at WDW?

thecotos
12-14-2008, 02:22 PM
The past several times we have been to Disney, we have had the dining plan. Each time, we stuff ourselves until we're sick and come home with a few more pounds than we got there with. We're going in June and are looking forward to not having the dining plan. However, we would also like to avoid eating hamburgers and fries for lunch and dinner every day.

We are familiar with Sunshine Seasons at Epcot and know that Flame Tree BBQ offers roasted chicken. However, we're looking for other counter service restaurants that offer healthier food than the usual burgers and fries. Does anyone have any tips or CS recommendations? We are hoping to find at least one CS per park and are open to going to a resort if it means a good meal.

Thanks in advance! :eat:

SBETigg
12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
You can get healthy options at almost any CS now. I like the sandwiches at Columbia Harbour House served on whole grain bread. I think there's a hummus option and a ham option. But even the burger places like Pecos Bill offer lighter choices. I do enjoy Gasparilla Grill and Captain Cook's at the MK area resorts, too. Both have plenty of premade salads and healthier sandwiches. In Epcot, I like Tangierine Cafe and Yakitori House. I prefer not to eat at DHS, and you've already mentioned Flametree at AK.

Polynesian Dweller
12-14-2008, 03:07 PM
You can get healthy options at almost any CS now.

Absolutely. In October we ate at several CS locations and not once had a burger. I had a great turkey sandwich at Backlot express, and nice taco salad at Pecos Bill, salad and turkey sandwich at Cosmic Ray's, great shwarma at Tangerine Cafe in Morocco, and so on. In fact, in the last two years haven't had a burger once.

VWL Mom
12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
as far as CS, we like the chicken wrap at Pecos Bill and the salads at DS Pizza Planet.

JoDisney
12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
VWL, I love the salad with chicken at Pizza Planet. My kids wanted to go to PP. I was not into pizza, but we all went. Surprisingly, I was delighted with this salad. It was great!

thecotos
12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow! That sounds great! Are the portions with the healthy meals smaller? We thought about getting the Quick Service Dining Plan, but then figured the portions at Disney are so large we could split a lunch and save some money (and our waistlines). However, I don't mind paying for it if we're both going to end up ordering our own CS meals, anyway.

Also, do you have any favorite snacks that are considered to be more on the healthy side (besides fruit)? We would like to indulge in 1 snack per day, but don't want to blow 1,000 calories on one food item (though I might have to make an exception for the School Bread:cloud9:!).

SBETigg
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
The portions may still be larger than you care to eat if you're following a healthy diet. They are usually in a size that you could comfortably split, something to keep in mind.

As for snacks besides fruit, I know it's not super-healthy but the Dole Whips aren't a terrible choice. You can find yogurt at most places. The rice krispies treats are a better choice than baked or fried goods, though they do still have some fat and chocolate. The frozen bananas, also chocolate covered, are yummy and not a huge indulgence. I think with snacks besides fruit and yogurt, you'll have some "better" choices vs the really decadent choices but not necessarily a lot of really great choices if you're really being disciplined with your diet.

epceddie
12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
I was very proud of the fact that on our trip this past October, I didn't have one french fry the whole week.
I love the apple slices you can get instead of the fries. They're delicious and very refreshing!