PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in Nassau?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
12-13-2008, 10:35 AM
If you do not go on an excursion, then what do you do in Nassau? I went about 20 years ago with my dad. It seems like we just hung out at the beach at our all inclusive resort. I think one day we went to the straw market?

Any other suggestions? It will be DH, myself, DS9, and DS6.

RobWreck
12-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Check out the pirate museum... it's about 2 or 3 blocks away from the straw market and it was a GREAT time!
Look it up online by searching for 'pirates of nassau'. On Yahoo, it was the first link to come up.
Enjoy!
Rob

tink179
12-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Unless they've done something with it since I've been there which was about 3 years ago, it was a total waste of money! Very boring, and my DH and kids didn't like it one bit.

Check out the pirate museum... it's about 2 or 3 blocks away from the straw market and it was a GREAT time!
Look it up online by searching for 'pirates of nassau'. On Yahoo, it was the first link to come up.
Enjoy!
Rob

Ed
12-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Personally, I didn't find Nassau all that interesting. :shrug: DW and I decided that if we ever do another 3 or 4 night cruise, we'll likely stay on board the ship while in Nassau and enjoy all the amenities while the majority of the other passengers go ashore.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
12-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Personally, I didn't find Nassau all that interesting. :shrug: DW and I decided that if we ever do another 3 or 4 night cruise, we'll likely stay on board the ship while in Nassau and enjoy all the amenities while the majority of the other passengers go ashore.

Yes, that's why I posted this. I was considering staying on board as well. I have already been to Nassau, granted things have probably changed a bit since 20 years ago. But my family has never been. I am hoping others will come along and tell me reasons why we should get off the ship.

Donald_Quackers
12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
The only thing I did in Nassau was the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter. I really enjoyed it, but went straight back to the ship after it and enjoyed everything.

thumperbug
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Nassau to me was boring...and dirty.

Went on a free cruise (courtesy of my former employer) and we had a 1 day stop at Nassau.

Doing research on line made it seem like an ideal place to sight see and shop.

It was not. There are locals nagging you to take horse drawn carriage rides, try to get you to buy beaded necklaces made by homeless kids...and the locals just didn't seem that friendly.

We visited the Pirate Museum which I recommend checking out if you leave the ship...we went to some fort which was maybe 1 stone little tower...not worth it and climbs Victorias stairs...I think there are 88 of them...again...nice to see...not worth the trip to the top.

We went to the straw market....mostly knock offs of designer bags but there were some actual straw bags to buy...

My favorite (ok only real favorite) spot was the Tortuga Rum Cake store....ohhhh yummmmmm.

Depending how long you are in Port, you might want to head over to Atlantis and get a day pass....

Otherwise...stay on the ship....

Pixie Power
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
We were just in Nassau on Friday. DH & I got off and shopped on Bay Street for a little while, then took a water taxi over to Paradise Island and ate at a favorite little restaurant of ours called Anthony's Caribbean Grill (right across the street from the Atlantis) and then went back to the ship. That was nice, but we've decided that next time we do a cruise and Nassau is a port, we will just stay on the ship and enjoy all it has to offer. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
What do we do in Nassau? We enjoy seeing it from Deck 9. We've sailed there twice and have yet to get off the ship. If you're going on one of the shorter cruises (3 or 4 nights), it's a nice opportunity to explore a slightly empty ship.

RobWreck
12-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I forgot about the Tortuga Rum Cake shop... it is THE reason to go to Nassau... the fresshly made cake they have out as samples is so hard to pass up...
Wow, my mouth's watering just thinking about it... :eat:
But then again, there's so much good food on the cruise...
:scale:
;)
Rob

Texas Tinkerbell Too
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think we have narrowed it down to going on the dolphin encounter or just staying onboard the ship.

I feel like since we have young children I should at least give them the once in a lifetime experience with the dolphins. But, man it is SO expensive. :(

Pixie Power
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think we have narrowed it down to going on the dolphin encounter or just staying onboard the ship.

I feel like since we have young children I should at least give them the once in a lifetime experience with the dolphins. But, man it is SO expensive. :(

It is expensive but SO worth it! When we went to the Atlantis several years ago, we took our oldest DD to do it (YDD was an infant and was back @ home w/ the grandparents). It was an AMAZING experience! I highly recommend it. :thumbsup: We will be doing it again in March when we go to the Atlantis (YDD's first visit there other than touring it when we were there on DCL).

HTHs!:mickey: