PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust, please

jrkcr
12-12-2008, 11:57 AM
My DD 16(Kat) is going to the cardiologist today. She has had problems since she was about 9, and they have gotten worse. It's causing her a good bit of pain now. Her heart will beat normally a few times, then have a long pause, and then gallops to catch back up, and starts over. I've listened to that rhythm many times, and that long pause always scares me! (ok, now I'm crying...) We had a pediatric cardiologist back "home" in SC, but since we are here in Reno now, we are going today to a new Dr.

Kat is very active and absolutely LOVES Aikido, a martial arts. She does have days when she just can't do it, or has to sit out for a while. But she hardly ever complains. I just wish I could magically fix her!

Thanks for letting me dump some stress, and thanks in advance for pixie dust!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
:pixie: and prayers coming your way!

DizNee143
12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
pixie dust on the way!! hope its nothing to serious!! let us know how it goes..

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

faline
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie: Hope all goes well!

Mousefever
12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Everyone needs to dump now and then! I hope that the cardiologist has good news that will lower your level of stress. Let us know!

Amy

RedSoxFan
12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

SBETigg
12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
:pixie: :pixie:

I hope it goes well and you hear some comforting news.

mmwonka
12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
My then 4 year old DD had to have a heart surgery to repair a hole in her heart. I totally understand and sympathize with the stress you're going through. Best wishes and I'm sure everything will be fine :pixie::pixie::pixie:

mrsgaribaldi
12-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way. Please let us know what they say.

pink
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I know how hard that must feel to know you're daugther is having a hard time and there isn't anything you can do personally to fix it. Stay strong! :mickey:

jrkcr
12-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Kat is wearing a heart monitor for the next 24 hours. So we'll wait to see what that shows.

They did another EKG and also an ultrasound, and they showed she has maybe SVT. supraventricular tachycardia. So we'll have to go in again next week to talk about the options.

I sure wish she had inherited her heart from her dads side!! :(

Thanks everyone!!!

MickeyMousse
12-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Good thoughts, prayers and strength is being sent your way! And, of course, loads of pixie dust! :tink:

My youngest DS was born with a heart defect, but it fixed itself and you'd never know. But as a mother I watch him and second guess each and every move he makes. I understand the stress. Remain strong and know that you have support. :thumbsup:

daparish
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Keeping you and your daughter in my prayers.

Stitchahula
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
sending tons of prayers and pixie dust for you and your daughter. If you trust your former cardiologist why not call his office to see if he knows of any in your area. I know with my sons hemotologist he knows of others throughout the country from the "conferences" they go to. Maybe if you get a recommendation from your former Dr. it will help you feel better about the new Dr.. That being said I hope everything works out ok. It's good to let stress out keeping it in doesn't do you or your daughter any good. Good luck.

TinkerbellT421
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
So sorry to hear about the problems your daughter is having with her heart. Sending as many prayers and pixie dust as I humanly can that everything works out for you. Please keep us up to date! :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Tinkermom
12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Kat is wearing a heart monitor for the next 24 hours. So we'll wait to see what that shows.

They did another EKG and also an ultrasound, and they showed she has maybe SVT. supraventricular tachycardia. So we'll have to go in again next week to talk about the options.

Thanks everyone!!!

I have SVT. The symptoms you explained in your first post are exactly what I experience. Most times after the long pause my heart then starts racing and my heartrate jumps up to 180-200 and can stay there anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour. I was diagnosed when I was 16 (I am 41 now). I have learned what triggers it for me and therefore have been able to lessen my symptoms. I also have learned some ways to get myself back into normal rhythm. I was recently placed on Digoxin because I was having surgery. I have not had an SVT episode since starting the Digoxin nor have I had any side effects from the Digoxin. I am considering staying on it but want to talk to my cardiologist first.

Let me know if you have any SVT questions!

Cinderelley
12-16-2008, 03:45 AM

Thanks everyone!!!

SVT runs in my family. Mine started when I hit puberty. I was also a telemetry (heart) nurse for 5 years before I switched to the ER this past June. So, I'll give you some generic background information to hopefully help you feel a little better. I know it's hard to not worry when it's your child though.

SVT is short for supraventricular tachycardia. It can also be called PSVT which is paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. The P is just a fancy way of saying it starts and stops on its own. The SV means that it starts above the ventricles of the heart (this is very important) and the T just means that it goes fast. (For your peace of mind, don't get it confused with ventricular tachycardia that you see on TV. Ventricular tachycardia starts in the ventricles and is the one they have to shock). SVT is not life-threatening in and of itself and she can live a perfectly normal, healthy life with it. It is an abnormality in the electrical system of her heart.

The times that it sounds like her heart "stops" is actually called a "compensatory pause", and it is her heart's attempt to "reset" its own electrical system to a normal pattern. I know it sounds scary, but it is actually a good thing. From personal experience, I know that it seems like it takes forever for the next beat though.

There are different ways to treat the problem. When I was initially diagnosed, they tried to give me different medications. They all had side effects that I didn't like. The biggest one was that they dropped my blood pressure too low. I felt worse on the medications than I did when my heart rate was 220, so for most of my life I didn't use any treatment. I was able to do everything I needed to do even when I had an episode. As I got older though, I began to feel it more. I saw a cardiologist that I trusted at the hospital where I worked, and he suggested a cardiac ablation. This is where they go in and find the spot in the heart's electrical system that is causing the problem and get rid of it. I had that done in 2004, and I haven't had any problems since then. Occasionally, I can feel my heart trying to go fast, but it can't.

Some things you may want to consider, check out, ask about -
1) Watch your daughter's nutrition. Being low in electrolytes, especially potassium and magnesium, will significantly affect her heart. You may want to ask the doctor to check her levels in case they are low. Don't just pump her full of them though, because that can cause problems too.
2) Find out if she has mitral valve prolapse. This is an inherited condition that can cause tachycardia, and from one of your comments, it sounds like it may be a family problem.
3) A good electrophysiology doctor in your area. These are the doctors that map out the electrical system in a person's heart. Educate yourself about this option because it is a permanent solution as opposed to your daughter being on daily medication. It does have its own risks though.
4)A group of medications called beta-blockers and a medication called digoxin. These are common medications used to control the heart rate. Your daughter's cardiologist will likely have one medication that he recommends, but you should know about them when you talk to him in order to make an informed decision.
5) The halter monitor may not pick up anything unusual if she doesn't have an episode while it is on. Don't be discouraged if that happens. The next best thing you can do is to call 911 if it happens again. As I said before, svt isn't life-threatening, but having an ekg that shows exactly what is going on while her heart is acting up while help the doctors tremendously, and paramedics will be able to get one on the scene. Explain the situation to them and they will understand. Before I spoke with the cardiologist at work, I did this exact same thing. It avoided a lot of extra tests that he would've had to do otherwise.

Remember, this is just some general information and doesn't necessarily apply to your daughter. If you have any other questions, you can PM me, and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Mickey91
12-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Prayers and Pixie dust coming your way!:tink::pixie::pixie::pixie::tink:
Let us know how things go.

jrkcr
12-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for the pixie dust, and especially for the medical info!!!!
I thought it was such great info to have, I am printing out your posts.
:rocks:

Tinkermom
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you all for the pixie dust, and especially for the medical info!!!!
I thought it was such great info to have, I am printing out your posts.
:rocks:

Let us know if it ends up being SVT. I chose not to have the ablation surgery (so far anyway) due to possible risks. Some of my SVT triggers are caffeine, not enough fluids, and not enough sleep and/or stress. As I have gotten older the SVT seems to have gotten more sensitive to caffeine to where I have pretty much cut out all caffeine (no teas, cola, coffee, etc with caffeine). I do indulge in chocolate occasionally though. :blush:

I am a former RN and was able to catch my SVT on a monitor one time while I was at work at the hospital. I was lucky to be able to have it documented. I have worn a halter many times but the SVT nevers seems to occur while wearing it.

Here is some more :pixie: for your daughter (and you!).

Diznee4Me
12-17-2008, 07:55 AM
You know we are praying for her - all of you - here in SC. Love y'all, B

:thumbsup:

WDWFanatic
12-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for your daughter. Please let us know what her results are.

jrkcr
12-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I was in the middle of cooking a ton of food for tonights Christmas party here at home, when the cardiologist called.
While Kat was wearing her monitor over the weekend, she had just 2 small episodes, not big enough to sit down or come to me about. When they are bad, she sits and holds her chest and I hug her. But the Dr called and said "wow-she had two pretty long episodes!" And these weren't her "bad" ones!
So, he wants her to go to Las Vegas in January to a pediatric cardiologist who comes into NV every month or so (noone here in Reno does this surgery) to put the catheter in through her leg and do the ablation. I know it is not a "big deal" surgery, but it is a big deal to me!! I just wish I could change hearts with her!!!!
I have to keep busy getting ready for tonights party-every time I sit down, I cry.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-19-2008, 06:21 PM
From one Kat to another-here's some Pixie Dust that they can find a solution to her problem. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

merlinmagic4
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
It's so hard to be worried about your kids :pixie: :pixie: for your daughter and you, too.

Mousefever
12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
You can cry to us all you like, honey. Although I'm sure the ablation will go fine, I would be super nervous too. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Amy

cindchan
12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
A catheter? Oh the poor thing! My thoughts are with you! :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Please keep us informed!

Cinderelley
12-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I was in the middle of cooking a ton of food for tonights Christmas party here at home, when the cardiologist called.
While Kat was wearing her monitor over the weekend, she had just 2 small episodes, not big enough to sit down or come to me about. When they are bad, she sits and holds her chest and I hug her. But the Dr called and said "wow-she had two pretty long episodes!" And these weren't her "bad" ones!
So, he wants her to go to Las Vegas in January to a pediatric cardiologist who comes into NV every month or so (noone here in Reno does this surgery) to put the catheter in through her leg and do the ablation. I know it is not a "big deal" surgery, but it is a big deal to me!! I just wish I could change hearts with her!!!!
I have to keep busy getting ready for tonights party-every time I sit down, I cry.

Take a deep breath and relax. Remember that the svt isn't anything that is going to kill her. Did you get a chance to look up information on the meds vs. the ablation? If you are leaning towards the ablation, I would look up info on the doctor who will be doing it and the hospital where it will be done.
Not to worry you or anything, but personally I wouldn't want to take my daughter to a hospital who only gets those type of patients once a month. You may want to go to one that does them more often.

magicofdisney
12-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey,

My prayers are with you. I imagine it's so tough going through this wishing you could take her place. That's your baby and you just want to protect her. My thoughts are with you.

Take care.

jrkcr
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks everyone! The childrens hospital in Vegas called today, and we scheduled her appointment for January 14th. So next week we'll be getting a packet with all the info on it.

So keep sprinkling that pixie dust for Kat! :thumbsup:

cindchan
12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Hope that keeps you going for a little while longer.

pianobabe
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I pray everything goes well. Make sure you make a list (and take it with you) of everything you want to ask the doctor. Know matter how old they get, they will always be our kids.

faline
12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Happy thoughts, wishes, and lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: headed your way!

MickeyMousse
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Take a deep breath and relax. I know it's easier said than done, believe me. The entire situation is scary, because we're mothers and take it all so much onto ourselves. That's our nature! I would second guess any mother who wouldn't feel scared and nervous.

Ablation will go fine. My friend's daughter had it done 2 years ago and everything went and continues to go well for her. It will for you and Kat too.

Keeping you in our thoughts! :magic: