PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's festive frolics part 8

dlpmikki
12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Friday 5th December
We are in Walt Disney World and someone must have decided we haven’t spent enough time standing in line. This is our day for a lot of it.

Mikki has one of her tennis lessons (quite brave after a late night yesterday) and we set off to Epcot. We just miss one bus (Mikki was sure the driver saw her running) but that was just the start.

We walk to the American Adventure where Jim Shore is signing his sculptures. Mikki goes ahead to get in line. When the rest of us get there, she goes to get the sculpture she wants. They have sold out. She buys two smaller ones as substitutes. An hour later, she decides to cut her losses. Fortunately, she can return the unopened boxes for a refund.

We go to “Nine Dragons” and get a walk in lunch. The place is busier than the last time we came but our server still manages to be very attentive. The humans enjoy soups and main courses (one sweet and sour pork and one pepper beef). The total, with DVC discount, is about half the Candlelight Processional package. The service is also quite fast so we can move on to our next chance to stand in line – the first DVC “Merry Mixer”party.

We arrive at the site outside Epcot’s International Gateway just after the start time of 3.00pm. There is a large area fenced off with a large covered part. There is also a long line to join – but this one moves much faster than Jim Shore’s and we are in in a couple of minutes.

Mickey and Minnie Mouse are there – but we head straight for Goofy who has no line. Later he and Pluto join in games with the kids so are not really set up for pictures. There is food and a prize draw and other activities for kids. We wait in line for Mickey and Minnie. We haven’t seen them since last night – and then they weren’t together! Well, as we reach the front of the line they leave. I think Minnie saw me and waved but she had one of the stricter “minders” making her go. Then Donald and Daisy Duck arrived. They looked very sweet in winter costumes but, sorry, Donald you are not #1 for me.

Miki did some pin trading. She did not line up again to buy special pins. There seemed no way to even see what the pins looked like until you had waited in a long line. Maybe some DVC members will buy anything!

One other hint: there are tables and chairs at the Merry Mixer but they filled up quickly. If you’ve just walked round World Showcase twice, don’t count on getting a rest here. This isn’t a problem for me because I have two humans to carry me but I thought I should mention it.

Perhaps my humans were tired but they decided their next shop should be the lounge at the Yacht Club – the Captain’s Cup. Quiet, dark, relaxed – and a nice spot on the table for me to sit. What could be better? They just had a beer each but they checked out the current limited menu from the Steakhouse that is served here. They thought it got the balance just about right.

Next, we took the bus home via Downtown Disney. The bus is quite crowded: it is strange that so many top price hotels share a bus. We stopped at Puck Express for a salad to eat at home.

Back in our room, we have a nasty shock. Mikki is using the web site to assemble all her photopass pictures and can not find any of the Christmas Party shots except for the last few – after she ordered the print. We have lost all the nice ones we stood in line so long for. She is horrified and angry that Disney may have deleted them – or thought they were not wanted because we bought a print of just some. She blasts off a report of lost photos. After much angry pacing (and a more relaxing hot tub), she checks out the photo print we bought and finds a different number on it. She checks that number and finds the “lost” pictures. What a relief! Our current suspicion is that one of the later photopass photographers gave us back the wrong card. So my last hint of the day is keep a note of your photopass number (especially when you get a special one, like at MMVMCP); check you get the right one back; and check what you have with a camera location or the web site from time to time.

Saturday 6th December
Mikki has one of her tennis sessions at 7.30am. She is “playing with the pro” and comes back very pleased to tell us all that she won the set – and the pro was trying.

We set off for the Magic Kingdom as soon as we can after Mikki finishes her tennis. We know it will be busy but Mikki hopes to get the Jim Shore Christmas sculpture she wants from the store on Main Street (it wasn’t at Epcot or Downtown yesterday). Here Disney deals another blow: Main Street is closed – including all the shops. We knew it was a day for filming the Christmas parade but we have stood in the crowd for that before now. They didn’t used to close the whole street (including the shops). Now everyone is directed backstage to bypass the street. That’s OK for anyone who hasn’t been on a backstage tour or seen where Tinker Bell lands, but that’s not us. We can’t be bothered to ask what time the 3 ‘clock parade is (answer, today, 5 pm – and the cast may not have heard that joke for at least a minute). We join the small band leaving the park. I hadn’t even got out of my carriage in the park.

Fortunately, we came by car so do not have to wait for more buses. We drive to the Buena Vista Outlet mall. There is a character store and another collectables store where we have found interesting things in the past. Today, Mikki finds just one shirt with a rather cute, small, embroidered Mickey.

Next, we drive to the Wal-Mart on Sand Lake Road and to the collectables store nearby. Yes, they have the Jim Shore piece Mikki wants. The store offers to ship it. Oops, Mikki ends up shipping 4 Mickey figurines. The visit to Wal-Mart for a few necessaries like coffee was much less damaging.

We have not visited Pointe Orlando for several years. We have been thinking of checking it out again. We decide today is a good day. It seems to have more restaurants and (even) fewer shops than in the past. We are unable to find anything to validate our parking ticket and pay the $3 charge.

It is now nearly 4pm so Mikki decides we can go to Outback Steakhouse for an early dinner (or very late lunch). Great, it opens at 3.30 on Saturday. They have a new menu and a new list of specials – all the previous “specials” have been promoted to the main menu. Oh, yes, the prices seem to have gone up too but the old ones have been in force for a long time. It’s another great meal.

mouseketeer mom
12-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Another great two days!!:mickey:

DizNee143
12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
sounds like another great couple of days!!
i would of loved to have gotten jim shores autograph!! :mickey:

faline
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Rather a number of frustrations for your humans! Good thing you have such a long trip planned so you can change your schedule around a bit!

pdrlkr
12-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

dtootsie42
12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the report. I was so surprised to hear they shut down main street and the shops. I have never seen that done and I know my family would have been frustrated.

offwego
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
That's a great tip about the photopasses. thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Bethis26fan
01-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for sharing.