PDA

View Full Version : animal kingdom lodge- what to do?

like2workout
12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm staying at the animal kingdom lodge for the first time in january, and just wondering if there are any "don't miss it" things there - things to see, restaurants, etc? thanks for any help!

AllDisney
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
We really like the restaurants there. One of all time favorites is Jiko.

Make sure you walk around to see all the viewing places to see the animals. Do the night time animal viewing. There are signs around the pool area pointing you in the right direction.

Have a great time:mickey:

like2workout
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks very much - i've written those things down and will make sure and do them!!

Simba's Mom
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
If you get a chance, do the FREE cullinary tour (yes, a free tour at WDW). It's about 45 minutes. First you go to Jiko and share a Taste of Africa platter while the chef explains the different spices that are used. Then they take you over to Boma, where someone shows you all the different offerings and you get a free sample of your choice (one time I got a little cup of Butternut squash soup, one time a zebra dome). The daily schedule is posted on the bulletin board by the rest rooms outside Boma and you just show up, no preregistration.

wire0monkey
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I highly recommend breakfast at Boma. It's a really great buffet, with some different choices in addition to the favorites, and it's pretty quiet.

ThanxForNoticin
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I would also recommend Boma for dinner - one of the best dining experiences at Disney.

One other recommendation - ask one of the savanah cast members about some of the best viewing areas for the animals. One guide took us to one of the outside stair wells in one of the wings of the resort - a great place to quietly watch the animals up close.

If the weather permits, be sure to enjoy the pool, and maybe some lunch at Mara. Try the soups and the desserts. Finally, the gift shop at AKL is my wife's favorite - definitely worth a look. Have a great time!

like2workout
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
THANKS very much to all of you for your suggestions! I have this printed out and ready for when i get there. I'm going to try each idea!

SpecJoe Magic
12-13-2008, 01:53 AM
I would also recommend Boma for dinner - one of the best dining experiences at Disney.

I agree. In fact, my wife and I consider Boma dinner to be our favorite place to eat in all of WDW. We've eaten at numerous other WDW restaurants, but we've still not found any that we like better.

CaptSmee
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Breakfast or dinner at Boma are not to be missed for sure! Jiko is an outstanding restaurant, but it is high class. The food is a little more exotic, a lot more pircey, and you are expected to dress appropriately.

Be sure to check out the free nightvision goggles offered in the evening on the Savannah past the swimming pool.

Beautiful resort...you will love it! It's one of the best WDW has to offer!

cindchan
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Be sure to catch at least one of the fireside stories. They have bonfires outside and at a certain time at night, one of the employees (someone from Africa) will come out and tell a story. It's a really great way to end the day!

aurorafan
12-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Be sure to check their schedule of daily activities--you can get it at the front desk or it's on your t.v. as well. They offer tons of stuff for kids and adults :). I loved listening to the Sounds of Africa (I think that's what it's called) each afternoon at 5 in the lobby, and at 7:50 or so they have a parade through the lobby with kids shaking music makers and beating drums that's really fun as well (but lound ;)). Also before they open Boma for dinner they do a little ceremony--I couldn't figure out where the drumming was coming from and followed the sound. 3 of the staff were drumming and everyone else was gathered around them. I had to leave so I don't know what happened next, but I bet it was neat ;). They have an extensive collection of African art/antiques throughout the hotel and in the lobby, so be sure to check them out as well--I think they sometimes give tours explaining them :).

Everything previously mentioned is great too. We just got back from our first stay there and loved it! There's so much to do we'll have to plan a resort day next time just to get half of it in!

offwego
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
In addition to the lobby area, there are art displays in other areas as well that can make exploring well worth it.

By far and away the cast members here seem to be keen to help you enjoy the resort so don't hesitate to ask questions about things you see or would like to see would be my advice.