PDA

View Full Version : babymoon?

dumbo_buddy
12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
DH and i are expecting our first! i actually haven't told the family yet b/c i'm only 10.5 weeks but we've been blessed to have seen the baby and its heartbeat three times already.

we originally planned to go to Rome in January. we have never been. however, i'm thinking about how i'll be 17-18 weeks by then and i'm having second thoughts about the trip. we just got back from ireland last and the flight there was so long! italy is farther. also, i just feel a little nervous about not speakin the language should i need a doctor.

getting to my point...i'm thinking we should cancel italy and do a disney trip using the buy 4 get 3 deal for the second week in march. i'll be 24ish weeks.

so what are your thoughts on going while pregnant? going to disney instead of rome (we were in disney this past september already)? am i being silly by missing my opportunity to go to rome to go to disney? there's something comforting about being a disney while pregnant for some reason. or maybe that's just hormones...:mickey:

teambricker04
12-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I understand how you feel about traveling international when you are pregnant. It would make me nervous too.

Just keep in mind that WDW is a great place for all types of people, including pregnant women! I went when I was pregnant with each of my boys. The only things I couldn't do where the rollercoasters and a few other rides. There are plenty of places to sit and rest or places to eat. We had a great time... as we usually do at WDW!

I love WDW, but Rome does sound nice!!!

illini
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on flying to Italy with a 17-18 week belly. Being your first, it might not be too big, but it could be uncomfortable. Plus, you have to worry about blood clots more when pregnant, obviously more of a concern when flying. Another massive factor is the frequent potty breaks, which is something you really don't want to do more than you have to on an airplane. Out of all 3 of my pregnancies, I never took a flight that was more than 3 hours.

However, on the flip side, it might be a while before you get a chance to go to Rome again.

I wouldn't give up Rome in order to go to Disney, but I would seriously consider scaling back because of the pregnancy. I think the best thing to do is start by having a chat with your doc about travelling that far.

disneymom07
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't think I'd want to fly to Italy either. I went to Disney when I was 6 months pregnant and I had a great time. Just be careful what rides you do and make sure you rest.

Goes4FastPass
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Rome is not the third world obviously. I'm sure most physicians there speak better English than I do.

Rome could be the last 'date' vacation you and your husband go on for a while.

dumbo_buddy
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
yes, "obviously" i know italy isn't a third world country. i've travelled around europe on pleasure and business many times.

for me it's the thought of being so far away from home should something happen that scares me. and yes, i'm sure they speak english but i guess, in my head, it's not the same.

it's a tough decision to make. i feel like i might be more comfortable doing a disney trip since i know it so well. but on the other hand i haven't been to rome and probably won't get there for a long time after baby. but i will go to disney after baby.

BrerGnat
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Just for some perspective, I went into preterm labor with my second pregnancy at 26 weeks, which was TOTALLY unexpected and unprecipitated by any health problems (I was healthy as a horse, and the pregnancy was totally uncomplicated up to that point), so things can and do happen, even in a seemingly "perfect" pregnancy.

I, personally, wouldn't travel to Europe in my 6th month of pregnancy. That is a very critical time, in case something goes wrong, and your baby is born premature, you would want to be HOME (or close to it) or at the very least, in the USA, where you know your baby will get the best NICU care. Just my 2 cents.

I'd take advantage of the travel deals closer to home and stay with Disney. It won't be your last chance ever to go to Rome...

Aggie97
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
While I truly hate to talk someone out of a trip to Rome because it is absolutely WONDERFUL, another consideration might be whether or not your health insurance would cover hospital visits or procedures in Europe. We have a great health plan, but when my husband got very sick in Paris and went to the American Hospital, our out-of-pocket costs for a fairly simple visit were extremely high. And it's such a long flight from the U.S.... not terribly comfortable even when you're not expecting.

Whatever you decide, congratulations, and have a fantastic time! :)

Disney Doll
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Rome is very tempting, but if you feel nervous about it you are better off at Disney. Chances are you would be fine and even if you needed a doctor for some reason I'm sure you could get excellent care in Rome, but if you feel uneasy you're not going to enjoy the trip as much. I'm glad someone mentioned insurance coverage because that is an important concern. I also think that being on the plane for so long might be uncomfortable. It may be a while before you can go to Rome again, but I'm sure you will eventually be able to plan another trip. I think I would be feeling the same as you if it were me- leaning more towards Disney. Just plan to go slow and take lots of rest/snack breaks. I was barely pregnant on our '07 trip (I didn't know it at the time). I remember that all the walking seemed to make me hungry and that hunger quickly lead to crankiness. Good luck with your decision and congratulations!

beksy
12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't have any opinion really expect to do what makes you (and your doctor!) most comfortable since I've never been pregnant. I just wanted to say Congratulations!:congrats: and I hope you have a smooth, uneventful pregnancy! :babyroll:

mouseketeer mom
12-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Nope, wouldn't go to Rome. I'm a Mom of 3. Healthy and fit with no underlying medical conditions. I did everything "right" during my pregnancies, ate well, excercised gently, took all my vitamins, and took not even a tylenol while pregnant. I had complications with all three pregnancies. I developed pre-eclampsia with my first, my second was born 6 wks early, and my third was not growing well in the third trimester due to an insuffienct placenta and needed to be delivered right away. No, I'm not trying to scare you. My kids are all healthy and well, and I am too. My point is, unexpected things happen, and for me, I'd rather be close to home while pregnant., not overseas. I would need that comfort level. I had no reason to think anything would go wrong during my pregnancies. Rome will be there! This pregnancy is brief, temporary! Stick close to home!

Belster
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I have three children and I have vacationed while pregnent all three times, one of the times to WDW. I had a great time traveling while pregnent.

Do what you feel best between you, your husband and your doc.

Enjoy!

estein80
12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Congrats!

I would talk to your doctor. I know that mine did not want me flying after 20 weeks, but we never talked about internationally. While I wouldn't suggest this, I also know someone who flew from FL to NYC at 38 weeks and everything was fine. Everyone is right though, it could be a long time before you have the chance to do something like this again. However, I will tell you to go with your gut. Will you be able to enjoy your trip to Rome or do you think you will be stressing about it the whole trip?