PDA

View Full Version : Lighters/Matches on airplane

angie12210
12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, I admit it - I am a smoker. We are flying on Air Tran and I see that I can't carry a lighter or matches in my carry on or checked baggage. Does anyone no how others are getting ahold of a lighter or where I can get a pack of matches once I'm down there??? Yes, I'm aware that I can't smoke at my resort or in the parks and yes, I'm aware that quitting would be the best way around this. I know I'm not the only person who is still stupid enough to have this habit so can anyone help me out with this??? Thanks!

VWL Mom
12-11-2008, 07:19 AM
The disposable lighter is no longer banned on most US carriers. There is also an allowance of one match book per carry on. It may be worth it to give Air Tran a call to check their current policy.

There are designated smoking areas at the resorts and in the parks. They are clearly marked on the maps. (unless this has changed since Nov.)

I was able to buy a lighter at the WL Mercantile so I would think most of the resorts sell them in their gift shop.

PetefromRI
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes,we usually bring a Bic type lighter and have no problem.It's been over a year quit but I still miss that first cigarette when I get off the plane.Now my bride runs out for a butt while I get the luggage.

PetefromRI
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
P.S.
angie12210,the last I checked it's still legal to smoke.Don't beat yourself up over it.

angie12210
12-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks you guys!! I really appreciate your responses.

TinkerbellT421
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Angie I sent you a PM did you get it?

Wells
12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I was not aware that you are now allowed to take a compressed gas (BIC) type lighter on the plane or in your checked baggage. Last time I went, this was not allowed. To be sure, I would check the TSA website to confirm this..
Another "trick" is that on our last trips several people would leave lighters in the smoking areas at MCO since they could not take them on the plane with them, I believe that this was done intentionally as a sort of "lighter exchange" program. I know I have picked one up there, and dropped it off there when I left for this purpose....worth a look!

Ed
12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
The prohibition on lighters was cancelled quite a while ago. Other posters are correct; you can carry one Bic-type lighter and/or one pack of matches aboard. Lighters and matches are NOT permitted in your checked baggage.

I still see lighters left in various places at MCO, apparently by folks who haven't gotten the word that they can take them aboard now.

SteveL
12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Ed, are the butane "jet" type lighters still banned? These are the kind that are almost like a small torch.

Polynesian Dweller
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Ed, are the butane "jet" type lighters still banned? These are the kind that are almost like a small torch.

According the TSA site, No the torch type are not allowed. Things are a bit more complicated according to that site than what is being stated here and you should check the TSA site to read the info directly.

The other thing is that the regulations on acceptable carry-on and checked items changes frequently so it would be a very good idea to check that site just a day or two before you fly.