PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Morning Breakfast

SgtTigger
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
OK I have not been around much but I had to stop in and ask.... as I do every year.....

What is everyone having for breakfast on Christmas morning???

For me it has to be Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls...

Ok what is it for you???

:cop: :tigger:

crazeedizneefinatic
12-10-2008, 11:18 PM
We never eat a huge breakfast (bacon, eggs etc.) we always nibble on bagels and cookies and stuff. The easier the better, there is so much going on. My parents stay with us on Christmas eve so they are here in the am to see my son open his presents. We pick here and there until dinner.

Tink2002
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Either Dunkin Donuts or the Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls for us, too. One year my mom suggested something else and I got upset - hahaha... I'm all about the traditions, even if they're silly!

gauvin4
12-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for us too!! :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
12-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and cranberry bread.

VWL Mom
12-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls here too! We also pick on the XMas Eve fish leftovers :blush:

SBETigg
12-11-2008, 07:44 AM
I make my own cinnamon rolls and usually do them with a sticky rum pecan topping instead of the cream icing. I actually prepare them the day or two before then refrigerate and I only have to pop them in the oven while we're opening gifts. The house smells fantastic all day. We used to have the Pillsbury when I was growing up, but this is so much better, and it's not hard to do. Therapeutic actually, to knead the dough after all that shopping and holiday prep. Great way to de-stress. :)

green ranger
12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Both my DH and my family come to our house for a Christmas breakfast buffet. We have scrambled eggs, bacon, Pillsbury crescent rolls, Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, ham, hash browns, cheese blintzes, cherry blintzes, sausage, and homemade waffles! Mmmmm...it's my favorite breakfast of the year!

Ed
12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Whatever is available in the airport that morning as we wait for our flight out to see the g'kids. :)

WishingStar2006
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I have gotten my boys spoiled by giving them eggs benedict and hashbrowns every Christmas. They are now 18 and 20 and it will be the same this year when they are home from college!!! :eat:

DizNee143
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
we always eat all the christmas cookies we have made for breakfast on christmas morning..its the one day a year i never get yelled at for having cookies for breakfast!! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
We do a big Christmas breakfast at my moms. Eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, pancakes, hasbrowns, fruit bowl, and so on.
My sister-in-law and I have requested french toast to be added this year.

illini
12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Wow-- Pillsbury seems to be raking on Christmas!

We have a sausage/bread/egg/cheese casserole (sooo healthy! Not!), scones (cranberry and choc chip-- not together), fruit salad and a few other things that vary from year to year. Mimosas and bloody marys, too. We don't actually eat until about 11am, and it's definitely our only big meal of the day. Christmas dinner is on Christmas Eve for us.

Stitchahula
12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
The last few years I've made eggs with ham and cheese but I bake it in the oven. It's really easy I make up the mixture the night before so when we wake up I just pop it into the oven to bake while my little ones open presents. I started this because my DS age 5 wouldn't eat the cinnamon rolls bellieve it or not he preferred eggs and ham instead. It comes out pretty good though it's almost like a baked omelet.

jonah'smom
12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
I've started a tradition of making sausage balls, a few different kinds of muffins & a breakfast casserole. I usually make the sausage balls & muffins the day before and prepare the casserole so all I have to do is put it in the oven. My parents come by to see what our son got from Santa and they have some goodies, then I take the rest to DH parents for us to eat after we open presents there.

disneydrmr
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
We're not really breakfast eaters... we'll probably sleep late and may not even eat until Christmas dinner. Though if you guys keep talking about them you might talk me into those Pillsbury Cinn. Rolls! :tasty:

DisneyBabies
12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
My kids are up around 6am, so we eat before we open gifts. The menu is: french toast (using texas toast bread), sausages, bacon (the leftovers are used for the greenbean caserole at dinner), and fresh fruit.

Wayne
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
At our house it will be a breakfast casserole with Sister Shubert's cinnamon rolls.

KylesMom
12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Bret! Happy Holidays!

We're a Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll / Christmas Cookie family for breakfast! :mickey:

Oh, and don't forget the egg nog!

jrkcr
12-11-2008, 12:10 PM
At our house it will be a breakfast casserole with Sister Shubert's cinnamon rolls.

Wow-I didn't knew she made cinnamon rolls. I'll have to look into that!

We usually drink coffee or hot cocoa and nibble cookies around 7am while we see what Santa left under the tree. Then we have brunch. This year, I am making Charleston casserole.(i think) We eat and go back to opening presents.

Lacy
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
We either have a breakfast casserole, homemade cinnamon rolls, or Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Not sure what it will be this year. Who knew so many people had Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for Christmas!

Nascfan
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Ah, it is Christmas with Bret's Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll thread! :thumbsup:

We have Cinnamon Rolls too!

Jeff
12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Whatever looks good from the Main Street Bakery!:mickey: I'll be there when the park opens.

Tink2002
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
oh wow... like I said we usually pop 'em out of the can but the home made with the sticky rum pecan topping sounds AMAZING - you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, would you!?!? Might give me something to do with all the nervous energy I usually have pent up on Christmas eve!

mrsgaribaldi
12-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Usually I work the night before until 7am so when I get home I have a Cosmoplitian and we have those darn cinammon rolls too:mickey:

Hair_Razor
12-11-2008, 07:41 PM
My parent come over for breakfast and watch the kids open gifts. I always do pancakes and my dad complains that I always forget the bacon so I remembered this year and my mom tells me today he is eating vegan sausage now so guess it will be a meatless Christmas once again! ;)

tinksmom02
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
"For me it has to be Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls..."

It's the same in our house...Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls were our Christmas breakfast every year when I was a kid, and I've carried on that tradition. Just the basic ones that come in the "pop" can, not the fancier ones that've come out more recently.

Although, gasp, I don't think DD is too fond of them. :confused:

SurferStitch
12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
we always eat all the christmas cookies we have made for breakfast on christmas morning..its the one day a year i never get yelled at for having cookies for breakfast!! :mickey:

Ditto. DH and I always go up to my parents' house on Christmas Eve and stay overnight. In the morning, it's coffee and my mom's homemade cookies (sugar, chocolate chip and shortbread). :thumbsup:

beksy
12-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls and coffee or hot chocolate is our tradition.

wendy*darling
12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Whatever looks good from the Main Street Bakery!:mickey: I'll be there when the park opens.
Now THAT sounds like a great Christmas morning breakfast! :thumbsup:

We have hot chocolate while opening gifts.
Then, when we are done- usually around 11:00, my DH makes homemade waffles and bacon (or sausage).
I think we have only varied this once in the past 20+ years. That didn't go over well- so waffles it is!

Sometimes I make monkey bread to nibble on throughout the day.

We relax and enjoy our gifts until we have to get ready to hit the road. Most years we go to my parents or another relative's house for dinner.
One year we headed to the airport and WDW- That was a fun Christmas! :tree:

SBETigg
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
oh wow... like I said we usually pop 'em out of the can but the home made with the sticky rum pecan topping sounds AMAZING - you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, would you!?!? Might give me something to do with all the nervous energy I usually have pent up on Christmas eve!

I'm happy to share. I have to type it all out and can't get to it now, but I'll check back in with it later today.

betteratmk
12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
We have the same breakfast every year, french toast, scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, strawberries and cream, potatoe casserole,croissants, date bread,pumpkin bread and egg nog happy Holidays!

elmjimmlm
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
We have a big breakfast after presents and then snack for the rest of the day...Usually have leftovers from Christmas Eve party at my DBs house...

Magic Smiles
12-14-2008, 05:06 AM
We have Cinnabon's (best in North America), fresh fruit platter and champagne (Asti Spumante) with orange juice!

SBETigg
12-14-2008, 02:26 PM
SBEtigg's Sticky Rum Rolls
(*I think it's an adaptation from a cookbook, but I got it from my grandma and I don't actually claim recipe authorship)

Ingredients:
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages regular or quick active dry yeast
1 cup very warm milk, (120°F to 130°F)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup pecan halves (4 oz)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans or raisins, if desired
1/4 cup granulated or packed brown sugar
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 T rum, if desired (comes out fine if you skip it)

Steps:
1. Mix 2 cups of the flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the salt and yeast in large bowl. Add warm milk, 1/3 cup butter and the egg. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping the bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic (the fun part for me, but you can probably use a mixer or bread machine). Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 hour 30 minutes or until double. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.

3. Heat 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter to boiling in 2-quart saucepan, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in corn syrup and rum(optional). Pour into ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. (I actually use a round large cake pan- don't think pan size matters) Sprinkle with pecan halves.

4. Punch down dough. Flatten with hands or rolling pin into rectangular, 15x10 inches, on lightly floured surface. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter. Mix chopped pecans, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the cinnamon (and raisins is using raisins); sprinkle evenly over butter. Roll rectangle up tightly, beginning at 10-inch side. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Stretch and shape until even. Cut roll into eight 1 1/4-inch slices. Place slightly apart in pan. a) Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until double. or b) Don't let rise a second time, instead wrap pan tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 12 but no longer than 48 hours, then bake as directed.

5. Heat oven 350°F.

6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately turn upside down onto heatproof tray or serving plate. Let stand 1 minute so sticky sauce will drizzle down over rolls. Remove pan and serve.

-If you want, you could probably use the Sticky topping with the Pillsbury rolls instead of going through the hassle of making your own dough. In that case, follow step 3 and bake as directed on the Pillsbury package, then just leave off the creamy icing. I've never tried it but I think it would work.

daparish
12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
We skip breakfast because we eat an early lunch at my mom's house. We usually get there between 11 - 12 and everything is already cooked. Everyone makes a plate and eats as they get there. It is very informal. Since Katrina she has lived in a mobil home and it gets very crowded with different family members and friends stopping in all day long.

EpcotChic23
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
My husband and I do not have any special traditions for Xmas morning. But now after reading all your post we are going to eat Cin Rolls, it sounded like a great, fast and yummy idea.

IamBelle
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
It's a tradition in our family to have cannoli's for breakfast. we have both the ricotta and the chocolate ones, yum!

Mickey91
12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Homemade pecan waffles, bacon, OJ and coffee:eat:

DisneyorBust
12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
We have scrambled eggs and ham, normally cooked together with toasted Italian bread from a local bakery.
We also eat Swedish Fish, the shaped licorice. Don't really know how that traditon started but I am sure that we will be munching on those again this Christmas morning!:D

SgtTigger
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
My husband and I do not have any special traditions for Xmas morning. But now after reading all your post we are going to eat Cin Rolls, it sounded like a great, fast and yummy idea.

I think I got another one this year.......

I will miss going to my dads and having them this year though.... Guess we will just have them at home.......

:cop: :tigger:

conorsmom2000
12-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls at our house! Has been that way since I was a kid and it wouldn't be Christmas without them!! :mickey:

Thumper03
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
A HUGE skillet of Sausage Gravy and homemade biscuits. :tasty::eat:
Some variety of muffins: chocolate/chocolate chip; blueberry; banana-nut; apple cinnamon, etc.