PDA

View Full Version : Ni hao, Nine Dragons! - My Review

Goes4FastPass
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
We ate at Nine Dragons in EPCOT/WS/China Dec 5th.

Wait:
We checked in 25 minutes prior to our ADR/CPpackage time and we were seated with menus and our drink orders taken 5 minutes after we checked in. ( ! )

Atmosphere:
I don't know if the dining room is different than before the renovation but currently it looks like someone sat down with a floor plan of the building and said, "I want as many tables as can possibly be put in this space." There is some art on the wall separating the kitchen and the dining room and a few screens dividing the dining area, other than that the tables all but touch each other. We were seated in a row of 2 tops where each person sat basically shoulder to shoulder with someone at a table on either side. It made it easy for the couple sitting next to us to point to our food and ask, "What's that... is it good...?

Service:
Our server was cheerful and busy. He answered our questions and never seemed to slow down for a second. We didn't feel exactly rushed but entrees arrived probably 5 minutes after appetizers which were not yet finished.

Food:
We had the Beef Cong You Bing and Shrimp Summer Rolls as appetizers and Honey Sesame Chicken and Shrimp and Steak as entrees. We liked the summer rolls, the chicken had light breading and was well made and was a large portion. The steak was particularly good, large flat pieces of steak that were thick enough to be slightly pink in the middle. Too often Chinese restaurant beef is too small and too chewy - this was very good. Seasonings were very mild, as in hardly detectable. Our server happily brought my wife chili sauce when she asked. We ended with cheesecake with 2 kinds of ice cream.

Summary:
Our wait time was a preview of Nine Dragons. This place is a machine. Everything is fast and hectic. I'd give a dollar to know how many covers the can do in a single day. I'm not saying this is bad. Our food and service were both good. The reality of EPCOT on a December Friday night is you have a couple of FastPasses in your pocket and you're wearing a label showing what time your Candlelight processional is.

DDuck66
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks..looks like the food is good. Too bad my DW despises Chinese. Maybe I can get by there when I go solo.

SBETigg
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I never think to go to Nine Dragons because we've been to some pretty great Chinese places around our home area. But it does sound interesting, and I keep meaning to try it eventually. Thanks for the report.

MinnieMommie
12-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the review. I haven't eaten there since the rennovation and appreciate the update. :mickey:

Jared
12-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the review! My family tried Nine Dragons years ago and vowed not to return. We have better Chinese places on virtually every street corner in New York for half the price. If the place has improved since the refurbishment, though, I'd be willing to give it a second chance.

Sounds like, perhaps, things are improving.

:tasty:

ginger19
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
We just ate there in november for the first time and we really enjoyed it. I'm pretty picky and I would go there again for sure.
Our waiter was not necessarily the most personable but he commented on my dinner choice and he gave us a huge stack of place mats all bundled up for us to take when he saw how much my children liked them. He was very busy but never once did our drinks run dry or did we need anything that was brought immediately.
I was daring and went for the noodle sampler and loved it. I also thought the portions were a very good size.

AdventurerKim
12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
We ate there in November during Thanksgiving week and had a great experience. The service was great, and we (4 adults) walked up and got seated immediately without an ADR for dinner. The food was very good, and that ginger caramel ice cream is delicious!!! :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Liked your review. We haven't eaten there since the renovation. Not sure if we're going to.