PDA

View Full Version : Dining reviews/thoughts...

LandFan
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Hello!
We just got back on 12/3. DH and I took our 12 year old niece with us so we decided to try some things for her. These are our thoughts on the various places we tried...

Whispering Canyon Cafe (First Time): OK. I had a great smoked chicken salad, DH and Em had ok items. I had Em ask for ketchup but we just got the standard bottle. It wasn't quite as much fun as we'd hoped.

Trail's End (First Time): This was very good. They still had some breakfast items out when we arrived (at 11:30) and we were told to go ahead and take them if we wanted. The fried chicken was good as was the salad bar, pulled pork and chili! It was a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of MK.

Columbia Harbor House: has gone down in quality in my estimation. THeir fish used to be much better! Nuggets were pretty good though.

Sci-Fi: Their fries were awesome!! Best fries all trip. I am not usually too happy about their food so I was pleasantly surprised. We went for Em's sake... The burgers and my reuben were both pretty good. As a bonus, they gave us all glow-in-the dark plastic bottles (with the straw and lid) that said sci-fi and had caramel popcorn in them. I think they felt bad because we were too wet from the downpour to stay for dessert.

FlameTree BBQ: Great as usual. No complaints here!

Grand Floridian Cafe (First TIme): Fabulous! THis place is great! My niece had the best chicken caesar! SHe loved it. I had the shrimp trio appetizer and french onion soup. The shrimp trio was fun!

Chefs de France (First Time): THis was very good! We were very happy with our lunches here. The I had their version of the flatbread which was very good - very crispy and light.Dh and Em had the french lunch (toasted ham & cheese with a small salad, french onion soup and vanilla creme brulee for dessert.

Dinners:
Jiko: (First TIme) Awesome! All of us loved it and Em said it was her favorite! Em and DH had the oak grilled filet and I had the coffee braised short ribs. The choc. dessert with the lavendar ice cream was surprisingly good. I had the lemon curd dessert - very refreshing and good.

Rose & Crown: THis dinner would probably have been better had it not been like 40 degrees outside and although we were seated inside, there was a heavy draft of air-conditioning coming over the wall from the kitchen so I could never warm up! I finally asked for us to be moved outside under a heat lamp and was just fine. I was so cold I don't really remember the food. It was fine, I was just soooo cold... Oh, and we had a bad server - she couldn't remember anything and forgot to hold our entrees until after we'd eaten (even though she offered to - we didn't ask). THen she forgot to show us down to the viewing area (the last time we were lakeside so I didn't know where the viewing area was). ALl in all, not our best time there.

50's primetime: (First TIme) Did this for Em. Food was adequate but I expected more of the entertainment. Our server was perfectly nice and didn't do anything. Siighh. I was hoping he would make Em do something - whereas the table across the way were all wearing dunce caps!

Le Cellier was great for Thanksgiving night. Em proclaimed it "Bangin' Turkey", "the best I've ever had - don't tell Nana or Mommy!" Dh and I had some of their regular stuff. He had the mushroom filet and I had the prime rib - all fabulous as usual!

LTT: Fun with the characters as usual. THe flank steak was great and perfectly done but the turkey and ham (or smoked pork as they call it : ) were both super dried out. THe mac and cheese was awful - but we knew that going in. The potatoes were good as was the salad, stuffing and gravy.

So that was our trip - foodwise anyway! Overall very good!

Would Definitely do again:
Everything but 50's Primetime, Columbia Harbor House and Whispering Canyon.

Liked best this trip: Grand Flo Cafe, Trails End, Jiko, Le Cellier, Chefs de France.

Any questions, feel free to ask...

Dawneeeey
12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the reviews!! I was thinking about trying the GF Cafe this trip maybe, for something new!

Sounds like you had a great trip!! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reviews

vicster
12-09-2008, 04:21 PM
We always eat at 50s Primetime - we ate there in September and had friends with us (their first trip) and I was also disappointed. There was no playful banter like there use to be. I wanted our friends to have fun with it but it just wasn't there. This use to be one of my favorites and it doesn't seem to be like it use to be.

We also ate at Whispering Canyon and did get 18 bottles of ketchup on our table. Our friends' two kids liked that. And the food was good so no complaints there.

SBETigg
12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, a lot of good dining reviews! It's too bad your servers weren't playing along at WCC and at 50's PT. I sympathize on the Rose and Crown night. When I'm cold, I can't focus on anything else.

DisneyFr33k
12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your reviews!
When we visited 2 years ago, we tried Whispering Canyon and were disappointed. We were crammed up next to another table, and even though we didn't want them to prank us, our server barely spoke to us at all! Just the opposite of what you read about.
Glad to hear Sci Fi is better. Same thing 2 years ago - the food was small in portioin and low in quality. We may have to try it again if they've improved!