PDA

View Full Version : Denver during the Holidays.

mook3y
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
We are making an unexpected trip to Denver area. Close friend is not well.

Anyways, taking my wife and 2 kids 4 and 6 for first time to Denver. I lived there for a little over a year, way back when, but can't really think of a couple of fun things to do with the kids there.

Will be staying in Cherry Creek and visiting in Lakewood. Will be the weekend before Christmas.

Would love some suggestions of things to do with our kids. Only time out of the question is Sunday afternoon.

Thanks!

Mousefever
12-05-2008, 08:14 PM
There is a fun, if nauseating, tourist trap right in Lakewood! Casa Bonita. The food is like frozen Mexican food by Banquet, but the atmosphere is so fun with the cliff divers, arcade, etc. that is makes up for the food. And the sopapillas (sp?) are very good for dessert.

The Butterfly Pavillion is a fun place to go. (It is in Westminster, CO, a couple of towns north of Lakewood.) They have various insects and a room where the butterflies fly around and land on plants and people. It helps if you're wearing a yellow or orange shirt.

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science has a cool dinosaur exhibit through Jan. 5th. There is a dig site for fossils, and other fun kid-friendly activities. There is also a dinosaur IMAX movie. It's about a real dig site in Arizona. My son, 10, says that it's a little loud, but not scary.

The Denver Zoo is right next to the Museum and is always fun to walk around if the weather's not too bad. During December they have evening "Wild Lights" too.

There is a fun center called Fat City south of town. It's all indoors. They have bowling, laser tag, a foam ball play area, an arcade, and miniature golf.

I'm happy to talk to you in person if you want to PM me for my number. Let me know, for example, if you might need a babysitter for your kids. I'm sorry for the reason for your trip. :(

Amy

mook3y
12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Ah yes, that was the name of the museum I was thinking of. THat place is great. I happened to be there just after they found a huge dinosaur fosil egg where they were built the baseball stadium.

That is a must do for us.

Also, I remember a place you could drive by, maybe on the way to red rocks? where you can see dinosaur tracks?

Also, anyone ever done the North Pole Express on the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad?

Thanks! keep the ideas coming!

Tick-Tock
12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
You're thinking of Dinosaur Ridge at Red Rocks. They have a website with directions.

Besides the zoo and DMNS, there is the Children's Museum and the Downtown Aquarium, both on the western edge of downtown. Downtown Aquarium is hosting breakfast with Santa that weekend. If you're here on a weekday, the Denver Mint is churning out coins (reservations required for the tour).

Cherry Creek North is having a Gingerbread House event on December 20 (check the Cherry Creek North website). In years past they've had a skating rink there too, but I don't know if they're doing that this year.

The Wildlife Experience Museum is south toward Parker. Its current exhibits include Robot Zoo and Animal Grossology. They're also having a Santa Breakfast that Saturday (and it's Family Fun Day) and have Winter Wonderlights events on the weekend evenings in December.

jrkcr
12-05-2008, 11:10 PM
I second the butterfly museum in Westminster! We have had many fun days there walking through a forest full of butterflies. They also have areas where you can touch horseshoe crabs, and hold a tarantula. it's a very short drive from Denver and easy to find.

And there is a childrens museum in Denver, right next to the Aquarium. We never went to the aquarium, but my kids loved the childrens museum!

We took our kids many times to the Museum of Science and Nature and it is great- and the zoo is right next to it. And there is a big park around the museum that has lots of running around space. We have picnicked there a few times.

And if you want to drive to Georgetown(about 30 minutes) the railroad it is very cool. It is an old steam train that makes a loop, and you can get off and walk down into a sliver mine. But that is seasonal, and I have no idea what seasons they operate. Also, if you are coming from a low elevation and go to Georgetown-you can easily get altitude sickness!! So be warned(been there, done that!)

And my only other advice-all of you should drink water before and during your trip. I didn't notice where you're coming from-but Colorado is very dry. Which makes nice powdery snow, but also makes very dry skin and bloody noses.

Have a great trip!

Tiggerdog
12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Ah yes, that was the name of the museum I was thinking of. THat place is great. I happened to be there just after they found a huge dinosaur fosil egg where they were built the baseball stadium.

That is a must do for us.

Also, I remember a place you could drive by, maybe on the way to red rocks? where you can see dinosaur tracks?

Dinosaur Ridge can be hit or miss this time of year, depending on the snow coverage.

Also, anyone ever done the North Pole Express on the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad?

If this is the train I am thinking of, this is located about 3 hours south of Denver in La Veta, near Alamosa. This area is usually very cold this time of year, with temps dipping well below zero.

Thanks! keep the ideas coming!

Closer to Denver is the North Pole Santa's Workshop outside of Colorado Springs. It is about an hour and a half south of Denver, on Pike's Peak. You can also take the Pike's Peak Cog Railway while you are in the area. If you do go to the North Pole Santa's WOrkshop/Pike's Peak, please make sure you acclimatize yourself for a few days before heading to the Peak, which is about 14,000 feet above sea level.

I love the Museum of Nature and Science, and our zoo is amazing. Also, you may want to consider a dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory, followed by a horse-drawn carriage ride through Denver and past the lights on the City and County building.

Hope this helps!

coloradowendyl
12-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Zoo Lights at the Denver Zoo...that was always a huge favorite with our boys when they were the age of your kids!

http://denver.metromix.com/events/zoo_event/zoo-lights-downtown/765047/content

The Capital is always lit up at night and is pretty impresssive as well.

The Budweiser Event Center in Loveland has Sesame Street Live..Elmo Makes Music that weekend as well. Loveland is about 50 miles north of Denver heading towards Cheyenne on I25.

Wendy

pink
12-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I used to live right outside of Denver and there are many fun things to do.

There is the Denver Mint, they take you on a tour to show you how money is made.

I also suggest the Denver Zoo. Like someone else said, they have the lights show which is fun. They give you 3D glasses so the lights pop out at you. If you go, dress warm though! The zoo during the day is also a lot of fun. It's one of the best I've ever been too. The Gorilla exhibit is amazing.

They also have a children museum which from what I remember was fun but nothing spectacular. Right next store is a aquarium which I don't recommend. They have beautiful exhibits but it's so small and not worth the money.

I know that a previous poster said Cosa Bonita has terrible food and I agree but it's a really fun atmosphere especially for kids. They have cliff divers, people in monkey suits running around, a haunted cave you can work through, an arcade and other fun places to explore. It's like a unique version of Chuckie Cheese.

The 16th street mall in Denver is also nice to just walk around. They have a free trolley system that gets everywhere where they need to go. Have a great trip. :mickey:

mook3y
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Were sold on several of these! We are good to go now.... so long as the weather cooperates!

THANKS!
:rocks:

coloradowendyl
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
You know there is a nice Starbucks not far off the Harmony exit of I-25 in Fort Collins if you are driving I-25. Rumor has it that a very nice Travel Agent from Magical Journeys lives only a few minutes from it. I can see a detour lol!

Wendy

teambricker04
12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Those are all great ideas! My #1 vote is for zoo lights. We live right near the zoo and city park and it is one of our favorite things to do :)

Also, Hammonds Candy Factory does free tours. It is north of Cherry Creek, probably 20-30min. They are well known for making candy canes! And they have Santa there :)

If you like tours there are... Coors in Golden and the Celetial Seasonings in... uh, Boulder or Ft. Collins. I haven't been to either, but I hear the peppermint room at CS is AMAZING. Plus, the Mint, but be aware that although the Mint tour is free you need to make reservations well in advance.

You should check out the lights downtown... City County Building.

Casa Bonita is fun (I hear, I have never been) and the food is gross (again, that is what I hear). There is a South Park episode about it.

I agree about the altitude!!! When I came to Denver for a visit and to house hunt, I got very very sick from it and not drinking enough water. If you drink alcohol it will affect you much differently here... you don't need to drink as much! Just be responsible and watch your body.

If you are looking for restaurants, I have heard that Beau Jo's has really good pizza. Also, just south of Cherry Creek on CO Blvd is a place called Hacienda Colorado... it is nummy SW food.

Hope that helps... have fun in Denver!!

Lacy
12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
It looks like I'm a little late to the thread to provide fresh ideas, but it is fun to see all the Denver/Colorado intecotees!

I'll put in another vote for the zoo lights! I hope your trip is as fun as possible given the circumstances.