PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent - surgery recovery :(

Tinkermom
12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I had shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago. I had what is called a SLAP repair and acrominoplasty. Basically they repaired a tear in the cartilidge that holds the shoulder together using 2 screws. I also had a cyst drained, a frayed rotator cuff cleaned up and bone shaved.

Well, I am really struggling with pain still. I was in tears in PT today. My Physical Therapist tells me that I should not be having this much pain at this point. I have been diligent with doing my home exercises. Sleeping has been awful. I have to ice my shoulder every night and take Vicodin in order to try to get some sleep. I refuse to take the Vicodin during the day so I just have to deal with the pain (over the counter meds don't really help though I do take Alieve). I also am still having some slight swelling in my hand as well as pins and needles off and on.

About 3 weeks ago I fell backwards and my arm went up and out as I fell. The pain was excrutiating when it happened. PT is now concerned that I may have done something to my shoulder at that time.

We leave for WDW in 13 days. I had really hoped that I would be in much better shape than I am now. I see my Orthopedic surgeon next Friday. I am so frustrated. One of my biggest fears with having this surgery was that I would be worse off afterwards.

Prayers/Pixie dust for a decrease in the pain and an increase in Range Of Motion would be appreciated!

Granny Jill A
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I send you all the pixie dust I can muster. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. Anytime you have to have a joint worked on, it's horrible. Knees and shoulders are so vulnerable to injury.

I am hoping that your pain subsides enough to enjoy your trip. I also hope that the news from your ortho guy is all good.

Take care!

SBETigg
12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Lisa, so sorry to hear about your pain. It sounds awful and I hope you find relief and improved movement soon, in time for your trip.

:pixie: :pixie:

Mousefever
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Oh no, Lisa!

Ask your Dr. for some Ultram. It works on the same pain receptors as opiates, but does not have the same side effects or potential for dependency. It comes in a generic form called Tramadol. Try looking it up online and talking with your doctor about it. Maybe it can help!

Let me know if it ends up being a help for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Amy

Boojum
12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I agree with Mousefever--you need some additional "daytime" pain medication that doesn't make you goofy. Prescription strength!!

When my mom had a vertebra replaced a couple of years ago, she absolutely refused to take pain meds. (Don't ask me why; we butted heads constantly about this!) She suffered and suffered and her recovery period was taking longer than it should have. Finally, the doctor nailed her to the wall and asked her: "Are you taking your pain meds???"

When he found out she wasn't, he told her that not taking them can actually prolong your healing time. If you're in pain, your body is tense, you're not sleeping well, you're probably not eating well, and your entire system becomes compromised. It won't heal itself as well as it should under these circumstances.

Ask for the Ultram, and then take your Vicodin at night--or, during the day when you know you'll be home and not driving anyplace.

Good luck!

BananaAnna838
12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I am sorry you have to deal with that!! I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful advice for you, but I will definitely be sending Pixie Dust your way!!!
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

ElenitaB
12-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Lots of :pixie: heading your way! Hope you're feeling much better real soon. Any chance you could call your doctor's office on Monday to discuss the issues you've been having instead of having to wait all week to see him?

Stitchahula
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I would definately see the doctor again to make sure you didn't do anything else to your shoulder. I unfortunately know all about the "it shouldn't still be this bad". With me though it was my knee and I need an additional surgery (I hope that's not the case with you). Ask the doctor for something stronger than over the counter but not as strong as vicodin. I had no idea tramadol was for people too the only time I had ever heard of it was for my dogs. Good luck.