PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you stop taking stroller for kids........

mrmcgiv
12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
We are leaving Sunday. My kids are 4 (55lbs) and 7 (65lbs). We went last may and man did we need the stroller. DS was just 2 though, DD was 5. We no longer gave that double stroller.

I REALLY think we could use a stroller. When we go, we go all day. AND if we have the 4YO in a stroller it will be a constant fight b/c the 7YO does not want to walk.

So we are torn:

Take no stroller and make them walk - that could be painful to hear the whining

Rent one - at $31 / day - NO THANKS!

Take our sit and stand that they both look so ridiculously BiG in:blush:, and it may be a little of a pain to push.

Try to find a used jogging double stroller. I saw one with a fixed wheel on braigslist...could that cause a problem?

Has anyone ever navigated disney with a double jogger?

If they do not need it we can leave it at the room some days.

Opinions??

THX

disneyfan328
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
It sounds to me like you are already leaning more towards needing a stroller of some type, now it just sounds like you need to figure out what kind and to rent or bring it with you. By the time you would rent a double stroller you would be spending what you could have bought one for. I would say go with the jogging double or try to find a good used one - Do you have a store called Once Upon a Child or a good used kids stuff store? I have seen ones there that barely look used that are in decent shape that are at a good price. It definetly sounds like you are going to need something :thumbsup:

mrmcgiv
12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks, yes, we are right near once upon a child. The one in Monroeville. I think Iwill call them tomorrow. I see one on craigslist too.
It sounds to me like you are already leaning more towards needing a stroller of some type, now it just sounds like you need to figure out what kind and to rent or bring it with you. By the time you would rent a double stroller you would be spending what you could have bought one for. I would say go with the jogging double or try to find a good used one - Do you have a store called Once Upon a Child or a good used kids stuff store? I have seen ones there that barely look used that are in decent shape that are at a good price. It definetly sounds like you are going to need something :thumbsup:

goofiecrazy
12-04-2008, 07:50 AM
We are heading down in the summer and i was wondering the same thing. My kids will be 4 and 6. Ifigure i will take a umbrella one for my youngest but should i take one for my oldest? I think we might take both and leave one in the house we r renting and see how the first couple days go with our oldest.

one2goofy
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
We got back a couple of weeks ago from our 6th trip with my kiddos (DD's 6 & 8). We took our double Graco stroller one last time on the trip. There was no way I was going to pay $31/day and there was no way I was going to listen to the girls whine when they got tired of walking. My hope was that it would "die" on us during the end of the trip or we could "pay it forward" to another family who was getting ready to rent one, but it made it home with us and is now getting ready to go to Goodwill and help another family out!

I got quite a work out during our trip pushing the girls (more MM bars for me :mickey:)! But I noticed no one looking at us weird (no weirder than normal :blush:). I noticed children much bigger (closer to age 10) in the rented strollers too.

We mainly used it from the bus stop to the 1st stop in the park. We parked it and walked the whole area (such as Fantasy land). Then the girls would jump in as we moved on to another area.

Personally, I liked the front/back strollers better. They are easy to navigate in the crowds.

Try a resale shop in your area or give the one you have at home a try. Heck, if you are near Iowa City, IA PM me and I'll give you mine!!

Have a great time!

disneyfan328
12-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks, yes, we are right near once upon a child. The one in Monroeville. I think Iwill call them tomorrow. I see one on craigslist too.

I didn't even catch where you were from DUH!!! I live right outside monroeville as well!!!! Small world !

Good luck with whatever you decide. On our last trip our kids were 5 and 7 (almost 6 & 8 as we went in September and their birthdays are in December ) We did not take a stroller with us. My DS (5) is on the small side and has asthma so I was very worried about how he would do but the strollers to rent were a little cheaper so I figured if we needed one I could rent or buy one of the 40.00 umbrella ones that they sell. We only ended up renting them twice and both days it was for Epcot. That park just has way way to much walking. We also used one for a bit at MK but only because there was a family leaving and they had a double. It was pouring down rain and they asked us if we wanted it since we were staying. We took advantage of it but only for a bit as in MK it was hard to navigate the double. We also had my oldest DD who was 18 to help out. I am worried about how it will be when we go back in April. It will just be DH and me with the two youngest who will be 7 & 9. I think we will be ok without one and I guess if we need to rent one for DS for Epcot then we will but I am hoping that we won't. At this point I wouldn't consider taking one for him as it would just be one more thing to lug through the airport ect and I think for the most part we will be ok without it.

good luck with whatever you decide. Have a wonderful trip.

mudpuppysmom
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
We shed our stroller when DS was 4. Now, he is VERY active and can go like the energizer bunny all day long -- and I know Disney is no small feat for small feet!! I took my pedometer with us that time and we clocking in around 13 miles per day average and DS kept up.

I will say we TOOK the stroller with us just in case we needed it, but we parents only took it out one night b/c we had been out all day and wanted to go to Epcot that night and did not want to hear any whining......and DS fell asleep in the stroller which was fine (at least DH did not have to carry him around).

My suggestion would be to at least take one with you, even if you leave it in the room for the first few days and see how they do.....maybe by the end of the week you might need it since they will be more tired?? You never know, they might surprise you and go without the whole time!!

We live near Monroeville too and if you don't find one at Once Upon a Child try some other consignment shops locally.....craigslist is a good option though too.....check again today, there was one listed yesterday pretty reasonable!

Another option may be to consider one of the side by side umbrella models??

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Our kids are 5 and 7. We went for 8 days in October, and rented the double stroller (or 2 singles) every single day. Yes, it's a lot of money, but we think it's worth it for us. (it's a smidge cheaper when you pay for several days up front) We also tend to go for long, marathon park days, and the double stroller makes that possible.

*$31 a day is cheaper than the back surgery/physical therapy (and possible marriage counseling) I would need from carrying whiny, tired kids around WDW.

*$31 a day is worth it to avoid the kids fighting over a single stroller. (even though DD7 walks a good bit, she does ride a good bit too.)

*$31 a day is worth it not to have to lug our own stroller on and off the WDW buses (esp late at night when the kids have fallen asleep on the bus and our hands are already quite full)

*$31 a day is worth it if we all get more time in the parks, and can "go the distance" from morning EMH all the way to fireworks! (and without too many meltdowns along the way)

So that's what works for us, and we just consider the cost when budgeting the trip. I'm not sure what we'll do next year when the kids are 6 and 8 . . . .I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it! :mickey:

tinklover
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
we rented a double stroller for 3 days last year and then when we went in june this year we refused to pay the hiked up prices . we were staying on property. our DD's at the time were 5 and almost 4 so we would get up bright and early and get to teh parks at opening or shortly after and stay til around 3:30 usually to catch tthe parades and then head back to the hotel to relax and get out of the heat. we would shower and change and head back for EMH . it worked great and not once did we hear I am tired can you carry me or any whining like that. It was also nice to not have to park a stroller and get the kids out and then go hunt for the stroller once we were done with an attraction.

megustamex
12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Have you seen this? I've seen people use it in Disney and it looks like two umbrella strollers stuck together. People swear by it for a cheap lightweight double. Cheaper than renting!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3082737

Otherwise, what about bringing two umbrella singles? Then if you really get to the point where you NEVER need the other stroller you could leave it in the room.

princessesmom
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
My suggestion would be to take one smaller stroller and have them share it. On our last trip my youngest was not yet 2, so she used it a lot. My son was 4 and would use it sometimes when his younger sister wasn't in it to get a break. My older two children were 8 and 10 at the time, so they didn't need it. I have always managed with one. I find the double strollers tough to get around with and would imagine they are tough to load onto the buses. And $31/day to rent one sounds crazy to me!

Disney Doll
12-04-2008, 01:41 PM
#1 I would hate, hate, hate to navigate the parks with a double stroller. If absolutely necessary I would choose a front to back not a side by side and not a huge jogger.

#2 I would not pay $31 a day to rent when you could buy for that price.

I think bringing one for the 2 to share is a good compromise, but if you don't think that would work you could bring 2 umbrellas and a connector to attach them side by side. Umbrella strollers are cheap and most importantly are very easy to lug around and maneuver in tight spots like the Disney crowds.
It might be nice to be able to split up especially since there will probably be things your 7 yo will want to ride that your 4yo won't be able to go on and the kids may do better if they are not sitting right next to each other (she's touching me, his foot is on my side, etc.) However, with the connector you could connect up and push it as a double stroller if needed.

Good luck with your decision.

thumperbug
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
My DS will be 7 in March and we still take a stroller to WDW with us. We had a wonderful travel stroller that had everything a full size stroller has but folded up small and weighed less then 7 lbs. He outgrew that. We did get him a new one that is pretty much as good as the last one (reclines, has canopy, underseat basket etc) except this one can hold up to 55 lbs. He is only 42 lbs but even though he too is like an energizer bunny...I find it easier to get around the parks with him in it...he tends to get distracted and stop in his tracks. Its also good for him to sit and take a break in and have a snack in when on the go. We also like the storage space and the fact it closes in 2 seconds with 1 hand. And besides the fact it is not a Disney rental..we generally have no problem finding it in stroller parking.

As for the original poster with the 2 kids...if you are traveling with more then 1 adult, get 2 cheap umbrella strollers...one for each adult/child.

Jillirose
12-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Double :thumbsup: Our son and daughter are three years apart. When she was seven, we went and got the double 'just in case' . She rarely used it in the morning, but always used it later in the day, especially on long jaunts. It also helped with time if we were in a hurry to get to a dining reservation... More space for stashing food, bags, etc. too!!

Kenny1113
12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I haven't used a stroller for DS7 for a couple of years now. We usually do all day in a park and he NEVER complains. Unless it was a party with free rental then I get a double for DS4 and DS7 rides along. I will most likely bring a stroller for DS4 when we go in Jan. I used to rent for my little guy until they raised rates, got to Orlando and bought $5-10 stroller at target with mickey on it!

teambricker04
12-07-2008, 11:48 PM
We have two sons ages 18mo and nearly 4yo. We went this past May with only one stroller, figuring DS#1 would be able to sit in one of the 40$ umbrella strollers from the parks. He sat in it for our entire 2week vacation and on the last day it broke... well, because at 3yo he weighs out of most strollers at 40lbs. He barely sat in it... generally just when we wanted to walk fast or get through a crowd. We went again in June and he didn't use a stroller at all. He never complained or whinned, but he did fall asleep on the bus!

We are going again in January and are only bringing one stroller for DS#2. I figure DS#1 never ever sits in one at home and walks, well, runs everwhere and there is no reason to at the park.

Each kid is so different, I say go for what works for you. If it is something you are only going to use on the trip, I agree buy second hand. $31/ maybe expensive, but it may be easier.

tys_mommy
12-12-2008, 09:11 AM
DS was 6 the first time we went to Disney. I never even thought about a stroller for him. If he got tired we left – I’m of the mentality that if you bring it you carry it (I do keep the Backpack with all our park necessities but any thing that the kids want to bring it’s their responsibility) - this includes yoruself - once out of napping age I don’t see any need for a stroller. If the kids are that tired that they need to be pushed that means it’s time for us to leave the park, if they just need a quick resting break then we’ll sit on a bench and have a dole whip.

We went back 2 times this year with our 2 little ones – first trip took a double stroller that independently reclined – we had no problems maneuvering crowds, 2nd trip we took 2 single strollers – nice b/c the kids had more space but a pain for when we split up – I’d definitely buy the connector if we did this method again. But we probably won’t be going back for a couple more years so hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Magic Smiles
12-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Had you posted this question earlier, I would have said no stroller, get the kids used to walking now before the trip. Since your trip is this month you know your kids best.
My theory is we all need more exercise.

asrai555
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I have an almost 5 and a 3 year old and I can relate to the fighting over who gets to being in the stroller.

After reading about the new rental rates, which are too expensive to justify the convenience of paying, I will bring my lightweight chico and a stroller board.

I don't think you are allowed to post links on intercot, but if you do a google search for "stroller boards" a few links pop up and you can see them. They are basically a small board on wheels that attach the back of a standard stroller. One kid stands and the other sits.

The boards cost about $80, but if you think you couldn't even rent a double for that price for 3 days it is worth it. If you live near a city where they are very popular you may even be able to find one on craigslist.

spoiledraf
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
We're going with our kids and their kids in June, ages 4, 2 and 16 months. Is it a problem to bring strollers on the plane? Seems nobody wants to bring a stoller along. My experience with my daughter, when she flies home from Ga. is she uses the stroller through the airport, the crew stows it as she gets on and she gets it right back at the airport when she gets off.

We were just going to bring an umbrella stroller for each. I don't see the problem with bringing one from home.