PDA

View Full Version : BRD's Family Trip Day 3

BigRedDad
12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
This day was much more enjoyable, but for some reason just didn't do too much. We had 8:15AM ressies at Crystal Palace. It was a great breakfast with Pooh and friends. After we finished, the park had been open for about 10 minutes. Family heads to Dumbo and I go to Space Mtn for FPs then to meet at the Fairies. Well, Dumbo took almost 30 minutes, FPs for Space Mountain were already at 11:15AM 15-minutes into park opening (picture here is that T-day crowds are here on Monday). We don't get to see the Fairies because the line had gotten to be 1-hour already. No big deal because DD (almost 3) saw them a few days earlier. We hit a few of the Fantasyland rides, then HM, and off to Adventureland. At this point, the two little girls got tired so we went back to WL for a nap. We took a quick jump in the pool, but it was too cold for them. It was about 73 out and we didn't want them to get sick.

After a bath and change, we are off to the Poly for dinner at O'hana's. Great dinner as usual. The girls got a little restless and wanted to color. Off to the Poly store and $20 later I come back with crayons and a coloring book. We had a great dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere. We decide to check out GF. I apologize to anyone that really likes this resort or sees it differently, but it is not for me. This resort is so stuffy, I had to blow my nose 3 times. They had a symphonic band on the second floor playing. when they took a break, a guy came and played a grand piano on the first floor. When I was about to take the elevator, priority for boarding is based on your personal wealth (an exaggeration, but that is how it felt just walking in the place). I have to recheck my room charges because I think the GF charged me $50 for every step I made in the place :blush:. Honestly, if that place caved in and got buried under ground forever, I could care less (as long as no one was in it). If WDW wanted such an exclusive place, they should have just created a completely separate Disney World for those people. sorry for the little tirade, this is just my opinion about it and one of the main reason I left South FL.

We head back to WL and relax for the evening. It was a very low key day and looking back we really didn't do anything this day. It was a precursor of what was to come with crowds for the next day at Epcot.

laward32
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Sounded like a great day. I agree with the stuffiness of GF. It is beautiful, but everytime I am there I feel totally out of place. I am dressed for the parks not a ritzy hotel.
Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

We3
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
We went here for a Cinderella's character dinner in 2006. Other than the gingerbread house (and my DD meeting Belle who was outside of the dining room by chance) I thought the place was horrible. Stuffy, the food wasn't great, Cinderella needed some uppers or something because even in our pics she looks angry, like a woman scorned!!!! To top it off, our party got sick over the next 2 days (like 10 out of the 12 of us) and I would not go back. Just not my thing. Your post made me laugh. Loved the Christmas decorations and gingerbread house, nothing else about it impressed me.

sleepingbooty
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I have to agree about GF. Its very pretty, but for me it does not have the charm of most of the other resorts. I'd rather have the Poly any day.

mouseketeer mom
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Another one in agreement about the GF. We've visited there, ate dinner there, went to tea there, and its always a big happy sigh when we return to the Poly. I have no desire to stay at the GF. And neither does my family.

faline
12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll be the dissenting voice. I really like the Grand Floridian. We stayed there once and I would happily stay there again. We love to listen to the live band playing on the balcony! Clearly, Disney has so many options, they can find a way to please all of us!

Sounds like it was mostly a nice, relaxed day!

Tbelle1976
12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the report.

Although I've never stayed at GF, I have eaten there and toured the resort numerous times and I have to admit that I would be more than happy to stay there (not so happy to pay the $$ though). I think it is an absoutely beautiful resort and most likely something I would do just once (couldn't afford it anymore than that). It is so nice that Disney has many resorts to suit many different tastes though!

Granny Jill A
12-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Loved your report - laughed out load about having to blow your nose because the GF was so stuffy.

I love walking through there and watching all the "important" people. Rich people have funny ways. :)

SBETigg
12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I love the Grand Floridian and I don't find it stuffy at all. I think perhaps it's all about your personal attitude. We're not rich or self-important people but we stay at and really enjoy the GF. I don't mind if you don't like it. I don't like the feel of some other resorts, not for me. But why judge the people who stay there? You're just as likely to find someone who saved their whole life just to make that trip, or to find a billionaire staying at the values. By the way, it's not much more expensive than the Poly or some of the other deluxes, hardly exclusive, yes expensive. Perhaps it's enough to say that you don't like it, it's not for you.

And if you came to the GF to watch my family (so glad to entertain you) :), you would find a bunch of normal, park weary, shorts and tee-shirt wearing tourists. There's no formal dress code in the GF lobby, thank goodness.

pdrlkr
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

BigRedDad
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Please, no one take offense. It is nothing personal about anyone. It is just the attitude it portrays and a lifestyle I moved away from. It is a nice resort, but way over the top.

SBETigg
12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
When you have to say things like you mean no offense, you're generally about to say something that will offend someone. And you did. Because you didn't stop at saying you just didn't like the resort, or the feel of it, or that it's over the top for your taste. You went on to say it was exclusive and they should build a new WDW for "those people"-- meaning who, exactly? People who enjoy the resort? I'm sorry, but no matter your initial intention-- that's offensive. The deluxe monorail resorts with deluxe pricetags (though not the GF, which came later) were the first on property, but WDW is by no means a place exclusive to any one income level, and people of all incomes stay at all resorts, regardless of your false ideal that people who prefer the GF must be rich snobs.

I think we can all be here at INTERCOT without passing unnecessary judgment on people. You don't know who's staying at the GF on any given day, why judge? Why be rude? I was enjoying your trip reports and I'll go back to doing so and put it behind me.

Granny Jill A
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
When you have to say things like you mean no offense, you're generally about to say something that will offend someone. And you did. Because you didn't stop at saying you just didn't like the resort, or the feel of it, or that it's over the top for your taste. You went on to say it was exclusive and they should build a new WDW for "those people"-- meaning who, exactly? People who enjoy the resort? I'm sorry, but no matter your initial intention-- that's offensive. The deluxe monorail resorts with deluxe pricetags (though not the GF, which came later) were the first on property, but WDW is by no means a place exclusive to any one income level, and people of all incomes stay at all resorts, regardless of your false ideal that people who prefer the GF must be rich snobs.

I think we can all be here at INTERCOT without passing unnecessary judgment on people. You don't know who's staying at the GF on any given day, why judge? Why be rude? I was enjoying your trip reports and I'll go back to doing so and put it behind me.

Big Red's Trip Report details his perception of the GF. I certainly didn't interpret it as an attack on everyone who has ever stayed at or loved the GF.

Don't worry - be happy :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the report...

faline
12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Just a gentle reminder folks - we can have disagreements but we need to do so nicely.

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian. I like this resort. I read the original poster's trip report and felt only that he was expressing an opinion on the resort - not on those of us who like the place and have chosen to stay there.

Generally, we're here to read about how folks' trips have gone and to pick up some tips we might use on our trips. Lets keep this forum a fun place to visit Disney World from home by looking over the shoulders of those who have been there recently!