PDA

View Full Version : Picnic Dinner @ Poly Beach

DisneyPrincess21
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I was planning on getting an adr at ohana for dinner during my upcoming trip 12/16-12/22 But they are booked solid the entire week! :pout: I really want to be on the beach at poly to see the Wishes fireworks at MK and the electric parade. I have heard a lot of bad reviews about Captain Cook's, :idea: So I was thinking about taking a picnic dinner to have on the poly beach. Has anyone else done this? Any tips?

faline
12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I have not. I do understand that private dining could possibly set up a dinner on the beach if requested. Not sure of the cost. I'm pretty sure private dining at the Grand Floridian can prepare box lunches - not sure about the other resorts.

disneyers
12-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Did you try the other sit down Poly resturant - Kona I think?

We went there for breakfast in March and it was wonderful food.

Also, Captain Cooks is not too bad. It does not have a lot of variety, but if you are only eating there once that shouldn't be a problem! Take it to go and eat on the beach.

You could also go to the counter service place at the Grand Floridian and walk (about a half mile? you pass the wedding chapel) back to the beach or take the monorail.

SBETigg
12-04-2008, 07:15 AM
There are quite a few good reviews for Captain Cook's, too. It's a decent quick service option. I would keep in mind that Captain Cook's was recently redone and a lot of the bad reviews (and I haven't seen many comparatively) could be from before the refurb.

You can find a lot of items in the premade section if you don't like what they have on the grill area. There's a wide selection. You can even buy small bottles of wine to have out on the beach with your food there. If you want something fancier, you are probably better off going to a restaurant. But for a picnic to assemble on your own and bring out to the beach, I would go with Captain Cook's.

Polynesian Dweller
12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Captain Cook's is fine and I don't understand the poor reviews. As SBETigg says it may be from before the refurb but we didn't have problems with it then. Also, try the Kona Cafe. We go every year and enjoy it.

You should also keep in mind that in December, once the sun goes down it can cool off very quickly and the beach may not be the most pleasant place to eat.

DisneyPrincess21
12-04-2008, 11:53 PM
You should also keep in mind that in December, once the sun goes down it can cool off very quickly and the beach may not be the most pleasant place to eat.
Your right, it probably will be chilly, But we will be coming from 20-30 degree weather :freeze: so it might feel a bit warm to us. :sun: j/k lol. But I figured it offers one of the best free views of Cinderella's castle during the fireworks, and the electric parade. So i'll take the good with the bad I guess.

mouseketeer mom
12-05-2008, 06:57 AM
I have never seen anyone have a picnic on the Poly beach in all of our years going to the Poly. I guess it could be done...we've had snacks on the beach while watching the fireworks, and I see people carrying drinks on the beach.

Polynesian Dweller
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I have never seen anyone have a picnic on the Poly beach in all of our years going to the Poly. I guess it could be done...we've had snacks on the beach while watching the fireworks, and I see people carrying drinks on the beach.

Neither have we in 19 years. Not sure that its practical really and I would check with the resort if they allow it before trying. Its not well lit on the beach itself and a busy spot when the fireworks approach. There are no chairs, just the loungers used for sunning. It would also be in front of the Club level building and not sure whether the hotel would want that there.

By the way, I live in the frozen north and can tell you it can still feel quite cool at night in Florida in December. Honestly, I think you should get something at Captain Cook's or Kona and not try the picnic idea. The beach won't be as magical as you might think.

SBETigg
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I have seen it. I don't think the OP means she's going to bring a big picnic blanket and spread out with an actual basket. But I have seen people eating or drinking, carrying small bags filled with takeout items like a salad or sandwich from Captain Cook's and some drinks. There are tables with chairs by the pool bar at the end of the pool, and the loungers on the beach are fine. It can be done. And it's seldom overcrowded, from what I've seen.

But it's a good point that it gets cold at night, even for people used to cold. Perhaps better to eat somewhere earlier then head out to the beach in time for the shows. Grand Floridian Cafe usually has availability on short notice if not Kona Cafe, or quick service at Captain Cook's, dining in, would work out, too, and still give you time to get down to the beach if planned ahead.

DisneyPrincess21
12-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't think the OP means she's going to bring a big picnic blanket and spread out with an actual basket. But I have seen people eating or drinking, carrying small bags filled with takeout items like a salad or sandwich from Captain Cook's and some drinks.

Lol, Yeah that's what i meant. Just trying to come up with a backup plan since the adr's for ohana aren't working out for the night we want to go. We will probably get captain cook's if we can't get into ohana that night. Thanks for the help! SBETigg :thumbsup: