PDA

View Full Version : Ohana Questions

DisneyPrincess21
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a few questions about Ohana. I am thinking about possibly going to Ohana for the first time during an upcoming trip 12/16-12/22 My first question is, It says it is served "family style" now this can mean many different things depending on what restaurant you eat at. Are you seated/served with only the people in your party or do you have other people at your table with you? And is the food worth the $27 per person. I would normally never spent that much money per person unless it was a special dining experience that you wouldn't do on a regular basis. I have heard some people say it is overly crowded and loud. I am not really one for being shoved into a small area with tons of people, Is a comfortable setting or do you feel like the other tables/people are right "on top" of you? I will be booking an early reservation for around 5:00pm to avoid the rush and people that are there just for the fireworks.Will going early help with the crowd levels, or is that something you really can't avoid? I wanted to get some advice from people who have been there before. Thanks! :thumbsup:

PetefromRI
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
O'Hana is one of our favorites.Your party will be served family style at your own table.You don't sit with strangers like on a cruise ship.As far as noise goes,well,it is Disney so you'll be surrounded by other families having dinner and of course you have the Loud Lady to make it that much noisier.The food is very good,they start with appetizers,then the meats,and then of course my favorite dessert at Disney.It's all you can eat and believe me it's worth every penny.It's best with a big party but my wife and I have gone there alone and had a wonderful time.We've gone at 5:00 before and it was pretty quiet but we've also seen it pretty busy.It all depends on the time of year.You gotta try it at least once.

illini
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
You are seated only with your own party-- no worries there.
I don't find it to be particularly crowded. It's easy to walk between tables. Other than during hula hoop/coconut races, it's not overly loud, either. We were easily able to have a conversation.
Food is great. I'm not a big meat eater, but I love the sides. Definitely worth it, IMO. This is coming from someone who is not a fan of Disney food, either.

ThanxForNoticin
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
First of all, we would highly recommend dining at 'OHana. It is one of our favorites. I would contend that for the food, atmosphere, and service, $27 is actually a very good value. As already mentioned, 'family style' refers to how the food is served (not to mention it is all the food you can eat). You are seated with only your own family.

Is it too noisy? It's definitely not a place for a romantic dinner for two, but it's a place that you can certainly have an enjoyable dinner with conversation. The loudest parts of the evening will be when you have a host who leads the kids in games at various points of the evening. They do the hula, the limbo, and coconut races. It's great fun for the kids and parents. If you would prefer something a bit quieter, ask to be seated on the side of the restaurant away from all those activities. It sounds like you might like that better.

Eating at 5:00 will definitely be a plus. It will not be quite as busy at that time, but it will fill quickly. Enjoy your dinner.

lighteningqueen
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Love it!!! The chairs are big padded kinda like lounge chairs and are big round tables. Very comfortable and nice atmoshere. We couldn't hear others at their table. Also if you don't have ressies for this you probably won't get it. From all the boards people cannot find any place to eat at. All is booked so you might better call tomorrow and take any time you can get, anywhere you can get. We arrive this friday and have been booked 180 days out. many who are going our week called a few days later and everything was booked everywhere... Good Luck

DisneyPrincess21
12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Also if you don't have ressies for this you probably won't get it. From all the boards people cannot find any place to eat at. All is booked so you might better call tomorrow and take any time you can get, anywhere you can get. We arrive this friday and have been booked 180 days out. many who are going our week called a few days later and everything was booked everywhere... Good Luck

Yeah, i found this out the hard way. I just checked and the whole week we are there they are booked solid at Ohana :( Oh well, Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I guess I will have to go another time.

Jared
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, i found this out the hard way. I just checked and the whole week we are there they are booked solid at Ohana :( Oh well, Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I guess I will have to go another time.
Sorry to hear you were closed out. 'Ohana is one of my family's favorites, and we were unable to snag a reservation for our trip from Dec. 22-26.

Definitely give the place a try next time. It is a special dining experience.

:tasty:

lighteningqueen
12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Try everyday several times a day. I bet many cancel... If they have to cancel their trip.. Times are hard right now so you never know so keep trying...

DisneyPrincess21
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Try everyday several times a day. I bet many cancel... If they have to cancel their trip.. Times are hard right now so you never know so keep trying...

Thanks for the encouragement. I will try. It will be my father's birthday so I was hoping I could plan something nice. I will keep trying but keep a backup plan just in case. Maybe Tink will sprinkle a little lucky pixie dust on me and I'll find an cancellation. :tink: Can't hurt to hope right? :mickey:

kemps@wdw
12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I liked O'hanas...DH gives it an "OK". Family style @ your own table. LOTS of meat, a salad dressing I really liked (not sure what it was), sides were good, had some fun things goin on for the kids, and DMIL LOVED the fresh pineapple and warm caramel dip. Don't give up trying on the ressies, call every day, even after you get there. You may luck up and get a table suitable for viewing "Wishes", or just go down to the beach and watch!:thumbsup:

Aggie97
12-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Definitely keep trying for a reservation. In late October, I was able to obtain an ADR with less than 24 hours' notice (and I subsequently cancelled our reservation for later in the week, which opened up another slot). Good luck! :mickey: