PDA

View Full Version : Space Mtn Refurb News?

WDWRox
12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
It's been a while, and I was wondering if there has been any additional news on the Space Mtn refurb supposedly in place for all of 2009? Is there a firm start date/end date, or is the project still being planned out? Does anyone know?

mcjaco
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
No dates as of yet.

I would expect to go down sometime after the Splash Mountain anual refurb ends in January.

WDWRox
12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
From what I've just read on another site, one is reporting that the major refurb on SM won't take place until April, shortly after Easter.

laward32
12-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I've heard people talking about the new planning DVD has taken Space Mountain off of the DVD and map. The building is still on the map but no number on it and on the legend Space Mountain is not listed. I actually saw a picture from someone who had received the DVD and it is not listed. I guess that means it will be down for most of 2009.
My girls are going to be so upset. :(My youngest DD will finally be tall enough to ride it and it is my oldest DD's favorite ride. Maybe it will be back up by the last two weeks of September.:mickey:

Stu29573
12-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Yep, when I watched the DVD the missing SM really stood out. They even referred to Splash and Big Thunder as a "thrill duo" or something like that, and didn't refer to the tri-mountain conquest as they have in the past. I would guess (and it is just an educated guess) that it will be down April through December.

JPL
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I guess they will have to edit the Top 7 No more "Triple Mountain Whammy"

pink
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
That is really sad, I hope they still have it up by March when we go.:mickey:

mouselover93
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
i hope its up by december. because i just got back and it broke down almost every night and someone asked a cast member how much more longer till it opened and she said she didnt know because the whole thing is 33 years old

jclightchasr
01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I can understand why everyone is upset SM is awesome but it did need an upgrade to the track which seemed more bumpy than usual last ride Christmas of 07'. Are there any indications of what changes will be made if any. I would think they could sharpen up all the projection images on the ceiling and update the sound system in the ques. I hope they don't take out the glass bubbles with the 3D stars in them on the walls as you enter. I wonder if they will change the track or add any similarities to DL CA's ride. Most importantly, I hope they don't replace it, I concerns me you guys are saying its off the maps and DVDs. Just like Horizons. But SM is too popular right?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I can understand why everyone is upset SM is awesome but it did need an upgrade to the track which seemed more bumpy than usual last ride Christmas of 07'. Are there any indications of what changes will be made if any. I would think they could sharpen up all the projection images on the ceiling and update the sound system in the ques. I hope they don't take out the glass bubbles with the 3D stars in them on the walls as you enter. I wonder if they will change the track or add any similarities to DL CA's ride. Most importantly, I hope they don't replace it, I concerns me you guys are saying its off the maps and DVDs. Just like Horizons. But SM is too popular right?
It isn't completely off the maps or DVD....it just isn't highlighted on the maps that come with the 2009 planning kit or mentioned on the DVD. If you look at the maps, the building is still there, it just isn't numbered or otherwise labeled. They aren't getting rid of the ride, just revamping it as it hasn't had a complete overhaul in YEARS.

DisneyGiant
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
We're going in July - you would think at one of the busiest times of the year - they'd have it and the TTA open!

I am more upset that the TTA is going to be closed!!!!

DizneyRox
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
We're going in July - you would think at one of the busiest times of the year - they'd have it and the TTA open!

I am more upset that the TTA is going to be closed!!!!
As it turns out, if attendence is indeed down they won't need SM or TTA operational for capacity reasons. So it's probably one of the best times for it to be down.

Ian
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
As it turns out, if attendence is indeed down they won't need SM or TTA operational for capacity reasons. So it's probably one of the best times for it to be down.To quote many famous Warner Brothers characters ... Ehhh, well now I wouldn't say that!

I just talked to my Mom and she said the parks are mobbed right now. She goes every January and she said she's never seen it this busy before.

I suspect the reports of these alleged reduced crowds have been overstated.

DizneyRox
01-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm guessing that the capacity of TTA gets them around 4000 people, and Space Mountain get them another 3 or 4000. Hardly noticable in the grand scheme of things.

These are just guesses, but I do know that the different rides all contribute to their daily capacity limits, along with restaurants, etc. Closing these two does have an impact in how many people they can let into the park. Disney doens't want to turn people away at the gates, so they wouldn't take these two down if they couldn't afford it. They would have a similar amount of time if they closed it after the summer rush and opened it up right before next summer and would probably hit less peak weeks meaning less turned away guests.