PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with 8 month old

DJsMom
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I am looking for advise on traveling with my 8 month old son. My husband and I have been to Disney many times but this will be a first for us. Any advise you have about flying, staying in a hotel and getting around the parks would be helpful. We are looking forward to having a great time with our new addition! :baby:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I am looking for advise on traveling with my 8 month old son. My husband and I have been to Disney many times but this will be a first for us. Any advise you have about flying, staying in a hotel and getting around the parks would be helpful. We are looking forward to having a great time with our new addition! :baby:

Welcome aboard! You'll make some great memories with your little one. What time of year will you be traveling? The heat can be a real issue with the little guys. I'd get or borrow a comfortable, but easily collapsed stroller to you can hop on and off the buses without too much trouble. Be sure to bring him something to drink on the plane to help his ears with the pressure. Comfort toys or blankets from home may make falling asleep go a little easier. Don't know about budget for you, but a monorail hotel would be convenient for you. We've done the values, though, and done just fine. Mostly--pace yourselves, take some breaks, and enjoy the moments with your boy!
Enjoy! :wave:

DJsMom
11-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the response. We will be there Feb 6-14th so the heat shouldn't be too bad. We are staying at POR ...we love that place :cloud9: ... and we'll have our own car. Great advise about the plane...didn't think of that. Thanks!

DlandMommy
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi! When we were there in May my son was 9months .The flight over there was fine we took the red eye and he slept:)The ride back was a different story he screamed like 3 straight hours most people were nice though.One thing I would recomend would be to make dining reservations around nap time,then you get some quiet yummy time:D He loved being in his back pack carrier he got to see all that was going on around him.In our room we were able to get a crib or a pack and play. We chose the pack and play and he did great:cloud9:Also at check in they asked if we had any medical reasons for a fridge and i said I needed one for insulin so we got a fridge for free which was great for baby stuff.One more thing I took enfamil pre mixed bottles and they worked great on the plane:thumbsup:Well have a great time you will be getting there a few days after I leave im excited to see my son run around this time:mickey:

dfamasb
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
We are going to be right next door in POFQ 2/7-2/14! Mine are all past the baby stage now. I have taken my twins when they were 9 months and my other son at 6 months. The best piece of advice I can give is to take mid-day breaks. It really helps to calm down and avoid over-stimulation. Definitely bring a stroller so you can get around outside of the parks easily. Since you are flying you might consider a delivery from garden grocers for things like diapers and wipes, etc...bulky, heavy things that aren't fun to pack. Don't forget the sunscreen...you don't want a sunburned baby!! Have a fabulous time!

Disney Doll
11-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Good tips so far. I just wanted to mention the baby centers. Each park has one and they are fabulous! We just disocverd them on our last tripand we felt like we had stumbled upon a real treasure. They have nursing rooms with rocking chairs, full sized changing tables, full sized high chairs, and a little store that sells any baby items you might have forgot. It was so nice just to slip in and get away from all the chaos of the parks. Our little one seemed to enjoy the quiet atmosphere and he ate better without all the park distractions.

dfamasb
11-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Good tips so far. I just wanted to mention the baby centers. Each park has one and they are fabulous! We just disocverd them on our last tripand we felt like we had stumbled upon a real treasure. They have nursing rooms with rocking chairs, full sized changing tables, full sized high chairs, and a little store that sells any baby items you might have forgot. It was so nice just to slip in and get away from all the chaos of the parks. Our little one seemed to enjoy the quiet atmosphere and he ate better without all the park distractions.
Yes!! I forgot about these!! I actually have only visited the one at MK but it was so nice, even just for a diaper change!

Diz-Knee
11-30-2008, 05:43 PM
It has already been mentioned, but I just wanted to emphasize the convenience of the baby centers. It really is a nice little way to get away from all the chaos as the PP stated. Might not be warm enough in Feb but we also brought along swim diapers for our DS to play in the water feature at Epcot and he LOVED it. We start our day early and come back mid-day to the room for nap-time - great for mom and dad to rest too and we hit the parks again in the late afternoon early evening and then are back in the room after dinner to get a good night sleep. With the stroller, I would recommend one with a sun protector.

Belster
12-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Just traveled with my 8 month old son, they are a joy at this age. The trip went really well. One thing that I did that really helped was to ship a package of baby needs directly to the hotel. I shipped formula, diapers, baby food jars, wipes tons of wipes, extra pacifiers, desitin, baby wash/lotion. This actually added up to over 25 lbs. I saved myself a whole suitcase doing this and a big hassel of trying to pack everything.

Have a great stroller, this is key. We went with all three of our kids and having that comfortable stroller really helped. Ours was a double stroller very large, but I would not have traded it for the world. I always tell myself of the kids are comfortable then I will be too.

Enjoy!

Jillirose
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Don't forget you can enjoy adult rides too - you can 'hand off' your darling. Good advice about taking a mid-day break. The parks can be very stimulating, but more of a problem for toddlers I think - babies seem to be able to sleep wherever they are!:mickey3:

teambricker04
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I loved travelling with my boys when they were around this age!!!

Anyhoo... Just remember to take it slower than you would have before you had a little person with you. Take naps if you have to... When our little people were this age they still would nap in the stroller so we didn't have to go back, but this doesn't work for every child.

If your DS will fit into a front carrier, bring it! I loved my baby bjorn for lines and even on the rides. It made getting on and off easy and our DSs were so much happier than being held. When our DS#2 was bigger (about 10 mo) we had a backpack that folded up and looked like a normal backpack, but was a child carrier.

Be prepared with food and meals. We don't do much ADRs anymore. I find the little boys don't always cooperate for them. Either they ate before we got there because they can't possibly wait or they aren't hungry and act up. This probably won't be as big of a deal with an 8mo old, but make sure you have everything handy!

Baby swap! Your DS will be able to ride most of the rides, but not roller coasters of course! Most times they make you have the baby present where you pick up the passes.

If you have a very common stroller put something bright on it to easily recognize it in a sea of strollers. Don't want to take someone elses!!

That's all I have for now... have fun :)

illini
12-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Definitely bring some type of carrier, whichever kind you like best. Even in Feb, you may have some long lines and it gets hard holding a little one for that long. It also helps for when they just want out of the stroller a bit.