PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Baggage charges

Sunshine1010
11-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Sooooo, I'm flippin' through my AAA magazine and low-and-behold, I read an article that states SW now charges for a 3rd bag.

I must be behind-the-times, because I don't remember hearing this.

Am I correct in thinking that it's the 3rd bag for one person? Basically, if my family and I are going, and there are 9 bags, we'd be charged for 3....correct?

Marymouse2003
11-27-2008, 02:12 AM
I just got off line w/SW. It's 2 of us flying. Allowed 2 ck-ins & 1 Carry. The reason I called is both us are ckng 2 & each a carry. Problem is, I have medical device to bring. Wld need to be ck'd, sooooo it's $25 chge each way, BUT good news 4 me. I chk'd with UPS to send device, over $80.00 roundtrip.

In answer to your ?, if you are 3 flying, you can ck a TOTAL of 6 & carry a TOTAL of 3. It stinks, but I hope that answers your ? Good luck!

Oh, the SW rep did tell me, when I ck in, 2 be sure to tell agent it's for medical use and perhaps I'll get lucky & they will waive the fee.

Anyway, I hope you have an awesome trip! I just can't wait, leaving on 12/8.:santa3::tree::deer:

Sunshine1010
11-27-2008, 03:19 AM
I meant to inform everyone that in my family, it's me, my husband and son.

In my opinion....medical device charges should be waived.

NotaGeek
11-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Sooooo, I'm flippin' through my AAA magazine and low-and-behold, I read an article that states SW now charges for a 3rd bag.

I must be behind-the-times, because I don't remember hearing this.

Am I correct in thinking that it's the 3rd bag for one person? Basically, if my family and I are going, and there are 9 bags, we'd be charged for 3....correct?
Southwest has charged for a 3rd bag for a while ... and it's only $25 which is better than the $50 most charge for more than 1 checked.

offwego
11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
For the PP with the medical device, would either of you be female? Women are also allowed a "purse" or personal item in addtion to the carry on, I'm not sure of what size your medical item is but would it fit in the tote bag style purses of today?

(Speaking personally some of my purses right now are large enough for small children so it's possible)

kakn7294
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Directly from SW's website:

The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the “one-bag plus one personal-type item” limit:

A child restraint device for a child who has been ticketed, who has a seat reserved, or for which complimentary, available space exists.

Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.

Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.

Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.

Walking canes or umbrellas. I don't know what type of medical equipment you are bringing because you didn't specify but if it's for mobility purposes, you can bring it free of charge. If it applies to you, I recommend that you do some research on SW's webpage and print a copy of the policy to take with you.

chrisb26
11-27-2008, 12:17 PM
The fees SW has is part of the reason I mainly fly with them. I love that I can check 2 bags and not get charged. Which is really nice considering the fact that a lot of airlines now charge for the first checked bag.

It is especially nice on the return flight home from WDW when I usually have more stuff :blush:

and to the OP you are correct that you, your husband, and son can each check 2 bags without being charged. But even if you do have to get charged for the 3rd bag its still not too bad since other airlines will charge you much more for that amount of bags :D

thrillme
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
9 checked bags for 3 people? :confused:

Some medical devices aren't counted especially if they're needed to "get around". You get one carry on and a "personal item" for carry ons. There are a few other items they don't count.

I know when the three of us fly (for a long trip) we can get by with one large bag for my son and I and one bag for my husband. I usually take a fold up duffle for bringing home souvineers or dirty clothes. We take a backpack on the plane with our DVD player and DS's. You might check whereever you're going if they have washers then you can pack less.

Southwest allows 2 checked bags per person. I don't think there's an airline around anywhere that allows unlimited checked bags.

mudpuppysmom
11-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I know when the three of us fly (for a long trip) we can get by with one large bag for my son and I and one bag for my husband. I usually take a fold up duffle for bringing home souvineers or dirty clothes. We take a backpack on the plane with our DVD player and DS's. You might check whereever you're going if they have washers then you can pack less.

This sounds exactly like us......and in one of those bags for my DS and I is his booster seat, so that takes up a little bit of room too!

This next trip we are taking a 6 mo. old along, so he will add to our baggage count and I do not have a seat reserved for him, so I don't know if his carseat will count against my four checked bags I'll be allowed, but even if it is, we should be OK.

We also fly SW because of their policies basically! I like the boarding process and I like how they treat you on the plane. The no fee for bags is just a bonus! It does kinda stink that you can't preboard with an infant any longer, but I'll just check in as soon as I can!

Sunshine1010
11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
9 checked bags was just an example I was giving.

I'm not Jessica Simpson ......he he

thumperbug
11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
We always fly SW. It is just myself, DH and DS. We usually check 2 bags and each have a carry on...or rather 3 carry ons total and count one for my son.

Marymouse2003
11-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info regarding medical devices. I'm already ck'g my limited 2, Plus a full carry which contains CPAP,meds, & purse/camera bag. In addition to that, I carry a battery operated Nebulizer for asthma treatments. The box we usually ck is an 18X18X12 box containing a room purifier. It stinks having to take all of this with me, but I have such severe allergies/asthma, I must take precautions any time I stay away from home, especially for a week. One of the ck'd luggage holds all I need to where, hair products, make-up, etc. The 2nd ck'd has just about a bed in it. Mattress zippered encasing, pillows which are encased, AND all of my own linens. Yes, when one has suppressed immune system & has health issues, its like packing everything, but the kitchen sink. Regardless, I'm EXTREMELY excited to be going to The World. I'm praying for No Rain and Cold Crisp Sunny days. Just what I need to get into Christmas spirit. I'd love 60ish sunny days and low 50's @ night.
7 days and counting!:santa3::tree::deer: