PDA

View Full Version : Appetizer on DDP?

Donald Duck Rules
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
When did they cut the appetizer?

I went and re-read arrivals in 2008 included appetizers as well as when I purchased the DDP

Or is it for 2009?

LoriSan
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
The app was removed at the beginning of 2008

TheRustyScupper
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
1) DDP used to include
. . . appy
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax & gratuity
2) Now, DDP includes
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax
3) Soon, DDP will include
. . . tax

:)

henry.james.s
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
The appetizer is still included in the Deluxe DDP but the gratuity was removed for 2008.

WDWFanatic
11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I was hoping they would at least give you a choice of app or dessert in 2009. Oh well.

KatMark
11-26-2008, 04:02 PM
1) DDP used to include
. . . appy
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax & gratuity
2) Now, DDP includes
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax
. . . tax

:funny::funny::funny:

the other micki
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't really mind losing the appetizer, but I really wish it still included the gratuity!

DisneyFr33k
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
1) DDP used to include
. . . appy
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax & gratuity
2) Now, DDP includes
. . . entrée
. . . dessert
. . . tax
. . . tax

:exactly: LOVE it!!!!!!

DisneyFr33k
11-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I was hoping they would at least give you a choice of app or dessert in 2009. Oh well.

:ditto::exactly::thumbsup:

A Big Kid
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Not even. I cant imagine my wife and I ordering two deserts.

For Heaven's, sake. They dont even know all the restaurants that are included on the plan for 2009 yet -like Tutto Italia and Chef's de France.

PetefromRI
12-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I think I know what you mean.If you read the plan on there website it says appetizer,entree,dessert and non alky drink but right next to the word appetizer it says in parenthesis (3-9 years old).I also had to look twice before I noticed that.

huzzah4
12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Everyone keeps posting about wanting the choice of an appetizer or dessert, but I seriously doubt this will ever happen. The reason behind this is economics.

Look at the desserts, most of them are premade offsite, frozen, and only need to be thawed the night before and plated when ordered. This is very economical for Disney as it takes very little time to prepare them, and can probably be accomplished by someone who is already doing another job (typically whomever is preparing the salads in most restaurants).

The appetizers, on the other hand, are usually freshly cooked onsite and take a good deal longer to prepare and plate. This is much less economical as you have to employ 2 or 3 people in some of the busier restaurants just to keep up with the apps. Additionally, these take up cooking space for entrees which slows the meal preperation time, resulting in unhappy diners.

In addition, the appetizers usually have at least one meat and/or seafood component as well as garnishes, sauces, etc. All of these things add to the plate cost of the dish. You can often make an entire pie or cake for the cost of making one appetizer plate, that cake can then be sold in 8-12 portions, resulting in a much better profit margin, which is, after all, Disney's goal.

DizneyRox
12-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Everyone keeps posting about wanting the choice of an appetizer or dessert, but I seriously doubt this will ever happen. The reason behind this is economics.

Look at the desserts, most of them are premade offsite, frozen, and only need to be thawed the night before and plated when ordered. This is very economical for Disney as it takes very little time to prepare them, and can probably be accomplished by someone who is already doing another job (typically whomever is preparing the salads in most restaurants).

The appetizers, on the other hand, are usually freshly cooked onsite and take a good deal longer to prepare and plate. This is much less economical as you have to employ 2 or 3 people in some of the busier restaurants just to keep up with the apps. Additionally, these take up cooking space for entrees which slows the meal preperation time, resulting in unhappy diners.

In addition, the appetizers usually have at least one meat and/or seafood component as well as garnishes, sauces, etc. All of these things add to the plate cost of the dish. You can often make an entire pie or cake for the cost of making one appetizer plate, that cake can then be sold in 8-12 portions, resulting in a much better profit margin, which is, after all, Disney's goal.
You missed the fact that giving people a choice will certainly impact the turn around time for tables. Most will order and share an app AND order a share a dessert. This means less people coming through the restaurant which also cuts into profit margins, not to mention the extra drink refills happening during the extra time. Personally, I think this is the bigger reason, but yours are definitely valid as well.

Polynesian Dweller
12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
You missed the fact that giving people a choice will certainly impact the turn around time for tables. Most will order and share an app AND order a share a dessert. This means less people coming through the restaurant which also cuts into profit margins, not to mention the extra drink refills happening during the extra time. Personally, I think this is the bigger reason, but yours are definitely valid as well.
Given that everything at Disney is by ADR now for TS restaurants, the effect on table turnover would be minimal. A turnover of a table about 3-4 times a night is already built-in to the planning. The turnover most likely would not have been factor in the decision.

The reasons that huzzah4 has given are quite accurate in most restaurants. Appetizers really are very expensive to produce plus they produce a lot of wastage. Wastage is a cost both in terms of what it costs to buy the food in the first place and in terms of waste management costs (garbage). Most places have laws that force restaurants to throw out perishables used in appetizers same day as they are thawed and/or cooked. But, cakes, pies etc can be stored as long as they remain fresh.

DizneyRox
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Given that everything at Disney is by ADR now for TS restaurants, the effect on table turnover would be minimal. A turnover of a table about 3-4 times a night is already built-in to the planning. The turnover most likely would not have been factor in the decision.
I respectfully disagree.. Adding 10-15 minutes onto meal, multiplied by what 30 tables, 3-4 seatings a "meal" DEFINITELY adds up to a significant chunk of time, time that other patrons can be using their DDP credits or paying OOP for food. Multiply that by every restaurant on property for both lunch and dinner, 365 days a year, and you WILL see a significant amount of lost profit, or potential.

Restaurant and ride throughput are HUGE in terms of bottom lines. Both are determining factors in the capacity of each park, which not only means ticket sales, but additional money spent on souvies, etc.

Don't underestimate a seemingly minor "inconvnenience". By making people purchase an app if they want one, they at least recoup SOME of that lost money.