PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 in Disney

kristnjohn
11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey everyone - This site has been a tremendous help from our first trip to WDW 3 years ago, all the way up through our upcoming 4th trip next week! By the time we hit the grounds and get checked into our hotel, we figure it will be approx. 3pm or so, and were looking for advice on what to do on our first day. We've never taken time to go and visit the other resorts, and thought that with it being our first visit during the Holiday time, it might be a good time to hop on a bus/monorail/boat and make the rounds! Anyone have any advice for us on which resorts would be a not-to-miss in regards to their Holiday decorations? Also - we definitely want to see the Wilderness Lodge and stop there for lunch, is there additional things to see at Wilderness that are open to non-staying guests that we could walk around and look at, or would we be restricted to basically the lobby area? Thanks in advance to everyone!

PlutoToo
11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
WL has amazing decorations during the holidays. The lobby is fantastic. You can also walk out the back door and check out the theming around the pool area. It's very nice and includes a gyser (sp?) that erupts. Then take the boat to Fort Wilderness and check out the displays in the campground.:number1:

kristnjohn
11-25-2008, 11:22 AM
We never thought of checking out the campground, thanks for the fantastic idea!!! I'm excited about being able to see some great Holiday decorations without having to brave the cold and snow this year (we already have snow here in Milwaukee :ack:)

faline
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
The Grand Floridian is also very well decorated and certainly worth a look-see!

DDuck66
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
You have to go to the GF and see the Gingerbread house. It is a life sized cottage made entirely of gingerbread and icing. It even has a small shop built into it where you can buy shingles and even small GB houses. Also, every resort has their own tree so you can see lots of decorations at almost every resort. We will be there this weekend and cannot wait.

mickeefan
11-25-2008, 06:32 PM
The Yacht & Beach clubs have very nice trees. I believe the chocolate carousel is at the Beach club. One usually has a cool village with a train running through it.
The Boardwalk tree and display is well worth seeing if you are over there.
As others have said WL and GF are a must see.

kristnjohn
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that so many resorts did so many different displays. Sounds like we will be busy on the first day just checking out the decorations! I think I actually remember seeing something regarding the gingerbread house on The Travel Channel at one point. We'll have to map out the best path to see as many as we can. Thanks everyone for their insight, I look forward to adding some of my own when we get back!

Tbelle1976
11-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Since you want to go to WL, I would make an early ADR for dinner (since you won't be arriving until about 3, then getting settled) and check it out there. There are alot of pics on Intercot for the holiday so I would suggest you take a look at those as far as the resorts to see which you will not want to miss.

IMO I would definately make this a day to visit the holiday decor for the resorts...that will most likely take up alot of time.

FenwayGirl
11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
We always get reservations for the Fantasmic package, have dinner and see Fantasmic.