PDA

View Full Version : Is it true???

goofysbabe
11-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I was just on another site and they were saying that the stomach flu is going around Disney? Is this true - those of you who are just coming back - did any of you get sick, did you notice anything? I'll be heading there in less than 30 days and I want to be prepared - planning on taking some antibactarial wipes, hand sanitizer etc.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I think that this time of year, the chances of picking up any kind of virus or bug on a plane is like 99.9%. :(
IMO, I think that you're chances of getting it at a park are alot less. If you aren't flying, you are probably quite a ways ahead.
Good Luck and take vitamin C. :)
Enjoy your trip ~ I'm soo jealous :envy:

JoDisney
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
We were there this month. Did not hear anything specifically about the stomach flu. However, this is definitely the flu season! Disney World has many, many people visiting this time of year. The people come from many countries and all across the U.S. We had our flu shots in the beginning of October. We always take our antibacterial wipes and carry our liquid hand sanitizer no matter when we visit. Also, do not forget the Lysol spray for the air conditioner. That is always a good idea considering the air conditioners at Disney World. We have one son that has occasional asthma. The air conditioner was always a contributor in getting his nose and eyes in an uproar. In fact, we were all bothered to some degree by the air conditioners. However, it is not the case any more since we bring the Lysol spray! It is always safe to bring what you need to combat the flu and various illnesses when you visit a place like Disney. There are always so many people visiting.

Tinkerbella16
11-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Didn't hear anything about the stomach flu in disney. I just got back from a week in the world last saturday and I've been sick ever since I got home. I knew it would happen though... I went from high 80's to low 30's here in NJ when I came home. Its a really bad head cold. :ill:

faline
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
In any place where people from all over the World gather, there is the possibility that infectious diseases can be spread. Per the CDC, their latest statistics indicate a low level of flu evident in the U.S. at the moment.

HeadFairyInCharge
11-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Well I just glad it has hit my house :ill: and we are finally all clear of the stomach flu around here...

At least I know I will not be sick while I'm there.

I will bring the Anti-Bacterial in the suit case just in case !! :D

DDuck66
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
We always take the anti-bacterial hand gel (from Bath n Body works..it does not have a strong alcohol smell), and the Clorox wipes. They always make a difference. Ever since my DW went through chemo, we learned what a life saver they can be.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
If anyone would get sick at the World, it'd be me.....I mean, I am constantly kissing Mickey and friends after all the little kids and I'm sure if there was something...I'd have gotten it by now.

I think we're fine down here, minus the freezing cold weather.

LoriSan
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
we just got back on Sat from the World and didn't have any problems. Except for the cold weather, that is!

Jasper
11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
You also have to remember that when you travel you are not only exposing yourself to a whole different set of germs than you are used to but you are also going to be on a different sleeping schedule than normal, eating different food than normal, breathing different pollens and dusts than normal, etc. All those kinds of things can add up to people getting stomach upset or illness when traveling. Often times people blame it on bad food, but in reality it is far more likely a combination of other factors rather than food or a "bug" going around.

CleveRocks
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I was just on another site and they were saying that the stomach flu is going around Disney? Is this true - those of you who are just coming back - did any of you get sick, did you notice anything? I'll be heading there in less than 30 days and I want to be prepared - planning on taking some antibactarial wipes, hand sanitizer etc.

Doctors know of a phenomenon loosely called "travelers sickness." It just means that traveling creates a "perfect storm" that makes it easier to get sick while at home.

Travel stresses the body (even good things can cause stress), which tends to lower the immune response. We eat different foods than we're used to, which can sometimes cause stomach upset (as can a less healthy diet ... we feel more free to eat junk, and more of it, than we do at home). We tend to drink less liquid (get dehydrated) when we travel, and that can foster illness. Some adults also might drink more alcohol than at home.

But by far the biggest contributor to travelers sickness is germs. A stomach bug in Cleveland and a stomach bug in Denver are similar, but yet very different. Germs tend to be different in each local area from those in other local areas. Our immune systems aren't as good at fighting off "new" germs as they are familiar germs.

So that's why it's easier to catch a stomach bug while on vacation.

But then add into the mix that Walt Disney World is a mecca for travelers. SO when you visit WDW, you are exposed not only to Orlando germs but also germs from literally all over the world, brought there by your fellow travelers. Our immune systems are sometimes overwhelmed by all these new germs, and it's easier to get sick from one or more of these new germs than it is to succumb to the germs our immune systems are familiar with at home.

So as you can see, it's more common for people to get sick when away than when at home. So you get a bunch of people away from home talking to other people who are away from home, and they tend to hear about more people getting sick than they are used to hearing about getting sick at home.

They naturally assume from this that there is something "going around" at WDW because they know of a bunch of people who've been sick during their time there.

But, as you can now see, it's not because there is something going around at WDW.

The very best way to prevent illness is to frequently wash and/or sanitize hands, and to not touch unwashed hands to any mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose).

And just for the record, there's no such thing as stomach "flu" ... flu is strictly a respiratory illness.:mickey:

thumperbug
11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Every time I travel I get sick either right before or while I am there. My husband always jokes about it. But the one thing I do know is every time I go to florida I get some kind of sinus thing going. I know it is a change in enviornment. I pack to be prepared.

One trip I wasn't and spent a small fortune on meds. I have to admit though, the baby care center folks were great in giving me some freebies.

As for stomach flu going around...heard nothing about it and my BFF just got back from a week there.

Cheloconnell
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
My friend just got back from the World and her DD 2 yo had the 24 hour stomach bug. Within 48 hours the parents had it as well. It didn't stop them from enjoying their trip. They said they really only lost 1 day as they stayed at the hotel with their DD. When they were sick they went out and just didn't eat.

Meteora
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
The air conditioner was always a contributor in getting his nose and eyes in an uproar. In fact, we were all bothered to some degree by the air conditioners. However, it is not the case any more since we bring the Lysol spray!

Thanks for the great tip! Is there a particular type of lysol you use?

mouseketeer mom
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I always seem to get sick at WDW, or as soon as I'm home. I always blame it on the plane.

brian2000boston
11-28-2008, 08:11 AM
When we went in September we came home sick as dogs...Travelers Diarrhea. It was one of the worst experiences ever. The good news was, in a three day period I lost 10 pounds and experienced a nice long term antibiotic, with in two days my DW was sick as well, same thing...DS had it less then a day and he was good.

Anyway I dont think it is Disney itself, it is more the mixed environment from around the world and a few people not keeping sanitary if you know what i mean. Next year we will bring some sanitary supplies to over sanitize our hands and maybe for everyone else in the park!! :sick:

Part of me wants to blame the water fountains but who knows!!

Figaro0826
11-30-2008, 01:15 PM
it's that time of the year, the flu is everwhere .

Don't worry about your trip...

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
From personal and professional experience (at the hospital), I can say that there are stomach bugs going around out there a lot earlier than usual. So it does not surprise me that the same would be true at Disney World.

If you want to avoid getting sick on vacation, make sure you start on the plane trip down there, if that applies. I would venture a guess that many people who get sick while at Disney World actually pick up a virus at the airport or on the plane. So make sure and wash your hands (or use disinfectant gel) before eating anything on the plane or at the airport. And ditto to staying well-rested and hydrated prior to the trip!