PDA

View Full Version : December 29-31 crowds

MarkC
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
We were not planning on going back to Disney until next August. However, it appears there is a good chance Nebraska will be playing in the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on New Years Day if we beat Colorado this Friday. Since we already have annual passes, it would be a quick drive to Disney to spend a couple of days. I know it's very crowded during that time, but just how bad? We've been there in summer and spring break, but are these days much worse? Can you even get counter service or ride any rides without standing in line for a couple of hours? Would appreciate any advice from a veteran. Fyi, there would be 3 of us-- myself and my 19 year old son and 21 year old nephew, so we can get around pretty quick if needed. Or is it so crowded that even the shows have long waits? Thanks, Mark

Strmchsr
11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
That is the most crowded week of the year, so, yeah, it's bad. However, it's still doable. Just pack lots of patience and realize you can't do everything.

faline
11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree. Very crowded! I'd think that accommodations would be extremely limited at this point. Additionally, New Year's Eve is a day when Disney often closes parks after they've reached capacity. If you're there that day, plean to arrive early and stay for the duration.

ThanxForNoticin
11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
It will be very busy and crowded, both in the parks and the restaurants - but certainly doable if you plan for it. However, something else to consider - you might have annual passes to get into the parks for free, but you'll likely pay a premium for any rooms in the area during that week.

If you are going to try this, I would be on the phone immediately after Friday's game! Good luck with your decision.

MarkC
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your advise. I realize staying on property is kind of a moot point at this juncture. Fortunately I travel for business and have a bunch of Marriott points we can use, even if it is (gulp) off property. I'm also concerned about the parks closing early if we're not there in time so we'll just have to get there early. I thought the economic downturn may have affected attendance but with gas down below $1.80 that will probably reverse the trend. It made the decision for us to drive easy since airfare is really high at this point. Thanks again for all the advise-- it is greatly appreciated. Mark

Meteora
11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Can you even get counter service or ride any rides without standing in line for a couple of hours?

The short answer is yes. You just have to be smart about it. Use fastpass, get there early, and don't expect to walk onto anything, even the most meager of attraction offerings, past about noon. Also, eating at off times helps.